Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The "base" for this recipie of mine can be found in Steve Raichlen's "How to Grill". So, if you don't like this, you can go back to that base and start over. Mine has quite a few changes.

1 36oz bottle of Ketchup (Heinz preferred)

1/2 cup cider vinegar

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

2 tbs Honey

1/4 cup mustard

1 tbs Lousianna Hot Sauce (or your favorite brand)

1 tsp black pepper

1 tbs onion powder

1 tbs garlic powder

2 tbs chili powder

1 tbs cayenne pepper

1 tbs Red Pepper flakes

1 tbs pork rub (McCormicks makes a good one)

Salt to taste

1 Stick Butter

Juice of one large lemon

1/2 cup Red Wine (use one you'd drink)

Combine with a whisk all ingridient except butter in large non-reactive sauce pan, then add butter in cubes. Heat over low heat stirring until butter is melted. Turn up to medium untill simmering. Then turn down heat to medium low for a slow simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours.

Notes: For hotter sauce (the way I like it) add up to 1tbs of Red Pepper Flakes. For sweeter sauce add up to 1 tbs of Honey. The salt, "heat", and sweet can be adjusted after 1/2 the simmering time, but beware that adding "heat" prior to that may cause you to "over heat" because the pepper flakes take some time to release their heat, and the other ingredients have to marry up as well.

War Damn Eagle!

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That looks good!

I didn't add the volumes--how much does it make? Also can it be stored in plastic bottles (say used ketchup bottles) or must it be in glass to avoid meltdown?

Do you use it as a marinade as well?

--Mike

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have never tried to store in plastic. I can it use it or give it away. It has vinegar and lemon juice in it, so it should keep pretty good for a while in plastic, but I wouldn't recommend it because the acids could eat at the plastic and affect the taste.

Its too thick for a marinade in my opinion.

I don't know volume of the batch...I use a 5 qt sauce pan to cook it.

Locally we have a producer that used to have a BBQ joint that has since closed down. They were around since I dont know when...maybe the 20's. The place was called Ollies World Famous BBQ. They used a vinegar based sauce. Not my cup of tea for BBQ, BUT it makes an EXCELLENT marinade for butts and ribs. They still sell it here in stores. I am going to try to duplicate it myself.

Matter of fact I searched while writing this...here is a link to order it. This is a GREAT BBQ marinade, and they even say so. Make sure you order the BBQ sauce and not the rib sauce if you decide to try it.

http://www.greatsouth.com/gs/product.asp?pf_id=OLL004&dept_id=101

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1 36oz bottle of Ketchup (Heinz preferred)

Dude - That Ketchup isn't allowed in my house...suit yourself, but I won't support that guy or his wife.

The land of the free because of the brave.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The place was called Ollies World Famous BBQ.

Since that name sticks so strongly in my mind, I know I must have passed by that place in my travels but for the life of me I can't recall where they were. What city? TIA

IC B2

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
tlfw,

I just prefer the texture and consitency. Personal pref. Use what you want.

War Damn Eagle!

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
biglmbass,

In my lifetime they were right off I-65 in Birmingham right at the UAB exit. Had a big sign that was a "globe" with "Ollies" on it. If you drove through before about 1998 you'd have seen it. They moved briefly to Hoover, but shut down shortly afte that. They just outlived themselves, and BBQ joints popped up everywhere too. I've never known anyone that liked it, but it must have been good in its day. I ate there once in my life. the old black lady that served me claimed to have worked there for 40 years.

They were also the central player in a landmark civil rights case from the 60s. Link: http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/mcclung.html

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gotcha. I think maybe what I remember is one of their old billboards around B'ham. I've travelled that interstate for many years but only recently had opportunity to go near UAB when going to the Childrens Hospital. Appreciate the info.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My money follow my politics. I can make my own ketchup. Senator Kerry won't get my coins...

The land of the free because of the brave.
.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
tlfw,

I understand the politics thing too. I understand Kerry is married to the Heinz fortune. Where I draw the line is when the company itself starts getting actively involved in something political that I disagree with. All companies as big as Heinz are owned by stock holders. Somewhere in every company you do business with, there will be somebody that owns a significant portion that you don't agree with their politics. If the Heinz Company starts getting actively involved in anti-gun or anti-hunting agendas, then I will quit using it. So far as I know, they are not, but may be an I unaware.

I got to be honest, if I'd had the opportunity to marry a Heinz, I believe Id have done it!

War Damn Eagle!

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, Amos63, 16 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,941
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.