-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The purchasing power parity of Portugal is quite tempting compared to the rest of the Eurozone in addition to the US. Although part of the Eurozone, Portugal continues to be one of the weak sisters of the group in GDP growth (their national debt is quite high as well). I agree with the other comment regarding US healthcare expenses increasing as a contributing factor but certainly not the sole decision to leave South Carolina. As well, the high steel tariffs the US has and the fact FNH already has tooled up factories creates a temptation that is too high to bear. It really is smart for them to have such a dynamic world manufacturing presence. One reason they will never leave Japan either.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
They haven't made a real M70 since 1964 so whats the difference?

Now, now Bob. I would have to agree to DISagree w/you.

I've read ALL this thread except what is being posted AS write this. I
agree w/nearly all the posts.

The one thing I haven't seen is : All our Win 70s ARE worth more NOW & will continue to APRECIATE in value. That said, I'm still very disappointed.
------------------------------

gmsemel- Sorry to say & edit part of your post, We have lived THRU the golden age of AMERICA!!!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FN is not an American company.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The new tax laws that kick in next year are causing quite a few changes. They are cutting loses from all the Obama taxes and regs that go into effect. I'd expect to see quite a few companies cut US operations and go abroad just so they can stay afloat. The US is a mighty hostile place to operate a business.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Damn, it will be a sleepless night here.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah...what would we do without Model 70's.....

bwahahhahahahaha...

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Brad

Good grief... you think it's cheaper in Portugal than SC?

Wages in Portugal are about half that of the U.S.

Here's a minimum wage comparison:

http://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DatasetCode=RHMW

Here's annual salary data by occupation:

http://www.payscale.com/research/PT/Country=Portugal/Salary

Convert the euros to $ and they're pretty low compared to the U.S.

Everyone throws out the fact that they get free health care in these socialized countries but they forget that it's pretty crappy health care and they don't spend that much on it. A friend of mine got sick in Paris and spent four days in a french hospital. I'm pretty sure that next time he'd just off himself before he'd let himself be taken back to a french hospital.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
FN is not an American company.

Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Originally Posted by greydog
I find it hard to believe that a company can manufacture a bunch of parts, ship them to Portugal, assemble them into a finished product, then ship back to the country where the parts originated for sale and have this cost less than assembling the parts in the the country where they were made and where the product is primarily marketed. I suspect that FN, being a European based company, prefers to support their interests in Europe rather than in the US. All European countries provide pretty good health care so I don't think Obama's efforts to do so in the US would have bothered them much.
I really would like to know where the economic benefit lies. I'm fairly certain the reason is economic but as I said, I can't see it. I don't buy the Obamacare explanation. European companies don't have the aversion to universal health care that US companies have. On the bright side, perhaps the Portugese assemblers will know when an extractor doesn't work; something which appeared to be beyond the abilities of the assemblers in South Carolina. GD

They may not have wanted to take the financial hit from hiring more ppl here and to some degree, we're subsidizing Europe's defense, so they have more $$ for social programs. Of course, Europe has problems resulting from govts' interference in the voluntary exchange of goods and services between individuals. I suspect that this has contributed to the unemployment in Portugal.

Human rights don't have expiration dates.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well the new FN model 70 I just got will be the last one from them, which is fine as I'm on the Kimber bandwagon now. All good! grin

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Well the new FN model 70 I just got will be the last one from them, which is fine as I'm on the Kimber bandwagon now. All good! grin

I haven't hunted with a M70 built after 1950 for over 20 years and have no plans to. I have all my P64's but I joined the Kimber bandwagon also, glad I ordered my 35 Whelen last January now I just hope I get it before NEXT hunting season!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yonkers, NY.

Is that in America?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
some things should just be "Made In USA" and WInchester is one of them...
Yep. A true shame to see an American made icon get a global [bleep] over by Browning corporate. mad mad

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Economic xenophobia ITT.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Makes a person want to buy a truckload of chickens just to yell ( Fewell)..

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
(fowl) Sorry hit the wrong leaver again..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 30338
They don't make the news headlines, but the ever increasing cost of government regulations continues to take a toll on our economy. This is only another brick in the wall. And we have not seen anything yet.

Good grief... you think it's cheaper in Portugal than SC?

Yes I do. As a Capitalist, when looking at driving maximum profit for my small company I consider all costs and run my business accordingly. If the government basically wants to run out manufacturing jobs, they are doing a perfect job of it.

Would have a hard believing FN moved a factory someplace because they wanted to pay more. Don't have a Model 70, and never intend to have one other than a pre64 perhaps so not overly concerned other than for the overall health of our economy. Do dig on my old Model 12 and 67 though.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If FN is selling military arms to Portugal, part of that deal might require FN to do some work in Portugal. It might be easier for them to move M70 assembly than some other stuff.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's GOT to be more to this equation because making parts here, shipping to and assembling in Portugal (an EU country), then shipping back here can't save much (if anything)... there's some larger picture we're not privy to.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Yonkers, NY.

Is that in America?

Nail on the head. I'll take a M70 Featherweight of any flavor
Over a Kimber.

WarDamnEagle
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,452 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,167
Posts18,484,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.