NIKON PROSTAFF - 480 CLICKS OF CAN-DO!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7157646 - 12/08/12 Using winch to load game
Dave_in_WV Online   content
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: West Virginia
I got a large doe this year and used my TV winch to load her. I carry a rope, a pulley, and a winch line extention to get deer out. I tied my canteen to the rope and got it over a large limb, ran the winch line through the pulley, hoisted the pulley up and tied off the rope. I hooked the winch line to the deer and hoisted her, swung her on the ATV, and strapped her down. No hurt back and no hernia. wink
There'll be a golden ladder reaching down
When the Man comes around

RV 728 BP
#7157722 - 12/08/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Dave_in_WV]
the_shootist Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: NW Ontario, Canada
Next, try it with a 1,000 pound moose. smile Eat your wheatties, first. Nothing like an ATV, a Warn winch and a good length of line. I loaded a 800 pound cow in one piece into the back of my trailer (pickup box trlr) by myself once just with the bike and the winch. No trees around for help. The winch paid for itself that day. 400 yards across a scarified clear cut, then into the trailer. Wife and kids watched the whole process.
"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

#7158945 - 12/08/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: the_shootist]
Rock Chuck Online   content
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Filer, ID
There's no end to the variations depending on the situation. Another way, especially if a strong tree isn't available, is to rig a pulley in the front of the trailer/truck bed and slide the deceased up a ramp. A piece of plywood over your ATV ramps can serve nicely.

#7159313 - 12/08/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Rock Chuck]
Pete E Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: North Wales, UK
Cabela's used to sell a device which was a cross between a come-along and a capstan winch..never saw one in the flesh, but on paper at least, it looked like an excellent idea for all sorts of game retrieval situations...

Edited by Pete E (12/08/12)

Men of Harlech

#7159318 - 12/08/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Pete E]
Spotshooter Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

I've got a Warn in the back of my truck with pulleys up front to tow them into the bed

Edited by Spotshooter (12/08/12)

#7159358 - 12/09/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Spotshooter]
RWE Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Old North State
Use what you got wink

#7159431 - 12/09/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Spotshooter]
Pete E Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted By: Spotshooter
I've got a Warn in the back of my truck with pulleys up front to tow them into the bed

A well set up winch sure makes life easy, but as Rock Chuck already mentioned, ramps are a must also..

It sounds like the winch in the video below was a little under powered!

Men of Harlech

#7160702 - 12/09/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Pete E]
Spotshooter Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Yep, I made a ramp out of a extra piece of tree stand ladder by wiring a piece of plywood to it

#7160740 - 12/09/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Spotshooter]
Pete E Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Any pics of your set up Spotshooter?

Always interested in how people set of their vehicles for this sort of thing..I have always used SUV type vehicles (where were/ are my every day drives also), so setting up an internal loading winch is a bit less straight forward..

In my old Isuzu Trooper, I managed to to fix ad DIY clamp-on "bracket" around the internal roll bar hidden under the roof lining..Once I put the liner back in place, all that showed was a slight bump and a gromit/hole I could screw a lifting eye into as required..

I did have an idea to mount a small ATV winch onto a removable plate that could clip into two seat belt receivers between the front seats, but in the end just stuck with a come-along and a section of ramp...

Edited by Pete E (12/09/12)

Men of Harlech

#7161384 - 12/09/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Pete E]
Dave_in_WV Online   content
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: West Virginia
I have AMSteel synthetic winch line on my ATV winch. For me it's all gain and no loss. The synthetic winch line isn't stiff, doesn't kink, won't gouge or cut you, and won't recoil (whip) if it breaks like steel cable. IIRC I paid $50 US + shipping for mine.
There'll be a golden ladder reaching down
When the Man comes around

#7166523 - 12/10/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Dave_in_WV]
1minute Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Burns/Hines, Oregon, USA
I could have used any of your setups yesterday to load the wife's 500 lb Christmas tree.

#7166617 - 12/10/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: 1minute]
the_shootist Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: NW Ontario, Canada
Better to cut it up in one foot sections and glue it back together on site. grin
"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

#7171307 - 12/11/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Pete E]
Just a Hunter Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: MT
Originally Posted By: Pete E

A well set up winch sure makes life easy, but as Rock Chuck already mentioned, ramps are a must also..

It sounds like the winch in the video below was a little under powered!

I am ignorant of how things are done in Africa, but wouldn't it have been helpful to gut it first.

#7171343 - 12/11/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Just a Hunter]
Pete E Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted By: Just a Hunter

I am ignorant of how things are done in Africa, but wouldn't it have been helpful to gut it first.

From my very limited experience, where possible, the gutting tends to get done back at camp or at a processing facility..

There are a number of reasons for this, but one is that the locals tend use far more of the offal that we normally throw away, including things like the stomach for tripes and also the intestines ect, along with usual things like the liver and heart ect..

Men of Harlech

#7171768 - 12/12/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Pete E]
Spotshooter Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Here is a picture of my winch rig for the back of my truck, I just throw it in and attach it to my D rings in the bed of my truck. I use the warn rear power lead on my back bumper to power it I also have a large portable winch on a plate for vehicles.

#7171785 - 12/12/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Spotshooter]
Spotshooter Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Here is a shot of the pulleys so you can see how easy they are to clamp on and go. I forgot to throw the old section of ladder rack I put a board on for a ramp, but to tell you the truth, anymore I just lower the tailgate and lift up on the critters head / cable so it doesn't wear a groove in the bed of the truck

#7171879 - 12/12/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Dave_in_WV]
rem141r Offline
Campfire Guide

how about using a winch to skin it? thats going to be my next trick. i've used the truck to pull the hide off before but in the process almost ripped the last one in half. i think the winch will give me control.

#7172249 - 12/12/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: rem141r]
Ladymulerider Offline

Loc: Ouachita mountains, AR
With deer sized game with my ATV (Polaris 6x6) I lay a steel pipe on the gun rack, run the front mounted winch cable backwards over the top of the pipe and down the length of the dump/tilt bed, then to the game. winch in from the rear and shut the tail gate. Works really great.

#7172378 - 12/12/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Ladymulerider]
Spotshooter Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

I've got a hoist I use in the workshop for skinning

#7174625 - 12/12/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Spotshooter]
ABLE Offline

YES i HAVE BEEN NEEDING ONE OF THESE for years but just could not come up with how to make for the weigth being pulled up the ramp tailgate. I would appreciate pictures or recomendations on how you built your game hauler.

TKS able

#7177992 - 12/13/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Pete E]
Just a Hunter Offline
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted By: Pete E
Originally Posted By: Just a Hunter

From my very limited experience, where possible, the gutting tends to get done back at camp or at a processing facility..

There are a number of reasons for this, but one is that the locals tend use far more of the offal that we normally throw away, including things like the stomach for tripes and also the intestines ect, along with usual things like the liver and heart ect..

Thanks. We will save the liver and heart at times. but nothing else.

#7178172 - 12/13/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Just a Hunter]
Rock Chuck Online   content
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Filer, ID
People in this country used to use a lot more of the organs than we do now. Tripe was common and the intestines were used for sausage casings. Kidneys were always eaten, too.

#7178317 - 12/13/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Rock Chuck]
Just a Hunter Offline
Campfire Guide

I tried kidney from a turkey once. Not again. We used pig intestines for sausage casing, but we got them from a butcher shop. If I wasn't the only one eating it I would save every liver and heart though.

#7178723 - 12/13/12 Re: Using winch to load game [Re: ABLE]
Pete E Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted By: ABLE
YES i HAVE BEEN NEEDING ONE OF THESE for years but just could not come up with how to make for the weigth being pulled up the ramp tailgate. I would appreciate pictures or recomendations on how you built your game hauler.

TKS able

Not sure which part you need help with, but if its getting anchoring points, some folks, such as use the tie down points fixed in the bed floor.

Put a a length of chain between the two tie down points and then fix your winch to the center of it.

If you are looking for something more permanent, you will need build some sort of frame and anchor that to the truck and then bolt the winch to it as below:
(Pic is from another site and shows a set up which belongs to a British stalker who posts as PointBlank)

Edited by Pete E (12/13/12)

Men of Harlech

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for HUGE SUMMER DAYS SAVINGS on ZEISS OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE for GREAT SAVINGS on SUPERB TAMRON LENSES from CAMERA LAND!
Who's Online
429 registered (1234, 204guy, 17Hunter, 10ring1, 163bc, 50 invisible), 819 Guests and 301 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,277 Registered Members
72 Forums
687,611 Topics
9,932,735 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.