CLICK HERE for $70 INSTANT SAVINGS on Eligible NIKON MONARCH 5 BINOCULARS!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7174833 - 12/12/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: Kevin_T]
DanAdair Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: NW Montucky
I'm digging this thread... I've camped on snow plenty, but it's usually been spring bear season, or rifle season in November.

This winter, I'm planning on doing it in January and Febuary, on purpose. The logic is, if you can survive dead of winter with your kit, the rest of the year will be a picnic with a backpack on.

Of course I know how to patch drywall

RV 728 BP
They DON'T Walk Away From a BERGER!  BUY ABM AMMO HERE!
#7175301 - 12/12/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: DanAdair]
ironbender Online   happy
Campfire Oracle

Loc: In the shadow of the Kenai Mtn...
my daughter comes home from college on Sat and is looking forward to snow camping. She's pretty cool, IMO.

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.

#7175426 - 12/12/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: DanAdair]
htr3 Offline

Originally Posted By: DanAdair
I'm digging this thread... I've camped on ...
This winter, I'm planning on doing it in January and Febuary, on purpose. The logic is, if you can survive dead of winter with your kit, the rest of the year will be a picnic with a backpack on.

For me in the Sierras, I worry more about transitional seasons where I get rain/snow/thaw/freeze than just cold. Way easier for me to stay dry & warm when it's constantly below freezing and without rain.

#7175874 - 12/13/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: htr3]
evanhill Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Western Colorado
Quote:
The logic is, if you can survive dead of winter with your kit, the rest of the year will be a picnic with a backpack on.

Sort of. The dirty secret is that, as long as you stay with terrain that allows for pulling a sled, winter camping is way more luxurious. You can take more heavy tasty food, have a bigger cushier bedroll, and you can dig a central footwell into the snow that makes tent life downright civilized. The days are shorter so you sleep more. It's a good time for telling stories around the wood stove.

#7175928 - 12/13/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: evanhill]
MontanaCreekHunter Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: 99821/06810
Your not doing the winter camping I am doing.

#7176050 - 12/13/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: MontanaCreekHunter]
Ed_T Online   content
Campfire Guide

Loc: Helena, MT
Location makes such a big difference in what you need. I am going tomorrow for a quick overnight trip with my BCS and roll-up stove to to some prototype testing. I plan on burning a fire for quite a few hours but doubt I will take a saw, an ax or more than my little neck knife. The area I am going is covered with beetle killed Ponderosa pine and there is plenty of wood in limb wood from small twigs to a couple inches in diameter. All wood that size can be broken by hand or foot.

The biggest safety advantage that I see in batoning with a knife over a hatchet or ax is in making kindling. It is one thing to use a full size ax to make kindling at the cabin where I have stable chopping blocks and another on snow covered ground with cold hands.

#7177565 - 12/13/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: Ed_T]
AH64guy Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: North VA
Haven't seen anybody mention a small fabric "tarp" type item as part of the kit for a shelter. In Artic survival school, we were taught to keep a piece of parachute fabric in the survival pack, to serve as a base layer over the shelter frame, then covered with insulation material. The fabric gave us a seal to the outside, with a decent layer of snow, we stayed outside at -40 and were reasonably comfortable.

I'd second the comment on the need for an insulation layer from the ground, even a simple polypad will add hours on to your comfort zone.

#7177803 - 12/13/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: AH64guy]
alukban Online   content
Campfire Regular

I always thought I was just an "axe and knife guy".

I did a couple of overnights that went below freezing last month and I had ended up making camp past dark. It was the first time that I realized that I do not like swinging an axe in the dark shocked Too many things could go wrong. I should not have set up that late but there it is. I was really glad to have the little saw on my SAK when I was cutting poles for my tarp.

I am defintely adding a compact buck saw to my kit from here on.

#7178531 - 12/13/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: alukban]
DayPacker Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Front Range, Co
Extended time in the cold means an extended shelter. I use the smallest grand Bruks hatchet, Wyoming saw, and knife with heavy 6 inch blade. Hatchet is a pound, saw is pound, and knive is .75 pounds. With them I can build one hell of a shelter and gather plenty of fire wood. The worst the weather the stronger the shelter will need to be. In general these three cover about any need you have unless building a cabin.

#7178631 - 12/13/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: Ed_T]
castnblast Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Ed_T
Originally Posted By: Jesse Jaymes
So Ed- a stout, 3/16" knife able to pry out heartwood from cedar stumps and split via baton whatever rounds were cut with folding saw would be the combo you would run?

You are in similar climate as I am. An afternoon snowmobile run, snowshoeing for grins or trap line or simply "patrolling"- that would be a better pair?

Jesse,

Yes, for most situations that is my preferred choice of tools.

For a saw the Sawvivor is hard to beat.

The Leuku style knife I built has an 8.5" blade and is 14" overall. It can do some serious work.

The GB Outdoorsman's Ax is a better choice then the GB Mini but still not capable of what the Small Forest Ax will do.

Here is an image of the GB Outdoorsman's and the Leuku knife.

These three items are about perfect in my opinion. I carry the same saw, a little bigger hatchet and a little smaller knife. Add a "Space" blanket and parachute cord to build a lean-to shelter, the already mentioned fire starting gear, and a small pot to melt snow in and that's what I keep in my pack.

#7178671 - 12/13/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: castnblast]
Big_W Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Washington
This is the new saw I picked up a few months ago. This is the best take down saw I have ever used. Weighs 1.5 pounds with an extra blade. It might be a bit heavy but boy can it cut up some wood! Being able to use two hands makes it so much easier. Yoo can do both hands on the back or put one hand on the front. Makes sawing much more enjoyable for my weak hands. Planning on putting some grip tape on the handles. HPG Kit bag shown for scale.

Sorry, image button wont work...

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/598460_387622677986573_1909278539_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/532430_387622727986568_1141659987_n.jpg

#7179062 - 12/13/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: Big_W]
MontanaCreekHunter Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: 99821/06810
For saws I stick to Silky Zubat 300 large teeth, or for a folding Silky Bigboy 2000 XL teeth. It will cut anything you realistically need to cut. If I am felling trees then I will step up to an axe.

I work in trees everyday and I make my money with Silky's.

#7179778 - 12/14/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: Big_W]
snubbie Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Western North Carolina Mtns
Originally Posted By: Big_W
This is the new saw I picked up a few months ago. This is the best take down saw I have ever used. Weighs 1.5 pounds with an extra blade. It might be a bit heavy but boy can it cut up some wood! Being able to use two hands makes it so much easier. Yoo can do both hands on the back or put one hand on the front. Makes sawing much more enjoyable for my weak hands. Planning on putting some grip tape on the handles. HPG Kit bag shown for scale.

Sorry, image button wont work...

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/598460_387622677986573_1909278539_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/532430_387622727986568_1141659987_n.jpg

What kind of saw is this?

edit: Rather, what is the name?

Edited by snubbie (12/14/12)

Originally Posted By: Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

#7180273 - 12/14/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: snubbie]
alukban Online   content
Campfire Regular

You guys know about the Dustrude Quick saw? This is the one I plan on getting.

They have a 24" and it uses regular hardware store blades. Some of the others do not so buyer beware.

http://duluthpack.com/folding-saw.html

#7180777 - 12/14/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: alukban]
elkhunter_241 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: North Idaho

#7181000 - 12/14/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: elkhunter_241]
Jesse Jaymes Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: NE Washington
Seems the thread has taken another turn. Hard to be clear or convey full intent.

I was thinking about what would be essential for shelter building in an UNPLANNED EVENT. Meaning, what is essential to be on you during winter day trips for emergency shelter building. That's where I was going with the hatchet vs saw vs knife thing.

Evan-

I am heading back over for "school" in a month or two so I will get some more hands on time. I really, really wish I had taken some of the opportunities that I have squandered. The trip you had up here 2 years ago, or many of the Rondys that come and go without me committing. Much could be learned for free in a weekend. It's tough without a Mentor to assist and stop you from really F'ing up and saving your bacon and also shortening the harder portions of the learning curve....the classic "Too much coal....saw it right off" Jeremiah Johnson mentor.

I own two of EdT's stoves. One being one of his newest designs with roll up Ti. I am sure I could pack this at all times. Have a SuperTarp with Annex also. So its not really that I didn't think out of the box, but my mind just didn't go that direction. Probably the surest bet in the bush though....going with a known system for 5 lbs vs trying to make a warm, heated shelter in the dark with a hatchet and pine boughs.

And maybe it's time to start packing some intermediate tinder as Ed suggests. Something transitional.

#7181068 - 12/14/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: elkhunter_241]
Dancing Bear Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Portland, Ore
That NW Woodsman buck saw is a great value. At the time I found his site I had a saw from Ben's Backwoods so I just ordered the oilskin cover.

I liked the cover so well I bought a saw and cover.

They both fitted Bahco blades which is my first choice in saw blades anyhow.

#7181171 - 12/14/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: Jesse Jaymes]
oldpinecricker Online   content

A little fatwood, a few paper towel parriffin/wax sheets, bic lighter, ferro rod, and an Leuku. The only other kit you would need is an kettle to drink from and make tea.

You could substitute an axe in lieu of the Leuku sized knife. Its your call.

Basically all this fits in your pockets and on your belt with exception of the kettle.

#7181680 - 12/14/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: elkhunter_241]
snubbie Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Western North Carolina Mtns
Originally Posted By: elkhunter_241

Thanks. How about extra blades. Readily available? I carry a Wyoming saw but that compact little tube is tempting. You could really stuff that about anywhere in a pack.

Originally Posted By: Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

#7181748 - 12/14/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: snubbie]
alukban Online   content
Campfire Regular

The blades are about $24 each and you cannot find them just at any Tractor Supply or Lowes eek

That's why I'm looking at the Dustrude. Oh yeah, they sell three sizes: 21", 24" and 30"!

Edited by alukban (12/14/12)

#7181862 - 12/14/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: alukban]
CoalCracker Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: PA
Anyone have opinions on the Sven Saw? I saw someone here on the 'Fire give it a great endorsement in the Knife section a few months ago.

Link:

Sven Saw

FWIW, I just noticed that it rates 5 stars at REI with 25 reviews:

REI

Edited by CoalCracker (12/14/12)

#7181927 - 12/14/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: alukban]
Ed_T Online   content
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted By: alukban
You guys know about the Dustrude Quick saw? This is the one I plan on getting.

They have a 24" and it uses regular hardware store blades. Some of the others do not so buyer beware.

http://duluthpack.com/folding-saw.html

The Dustrude saw is awesome. I have the 21" and it will be my winter saw. It will cut bigger rounds than the Sawvivor and assembles very quickly.

I have used the fold out saws from Corona, Gerber etc as well as the Gerber slide out blades and although they all cut very well, there is nothing like a framed buck saw for serious wood production. (well except a chain saw smile

I also really like the Dandy Saws. The blades are stiffer than any of the folding saws and they do a good job.
http://www.outfitterspackstation.com/sihadasaw.html

#7181931 - 12/14/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: CoalCracker]
alukban Online   content
Campfire Regular

RE: the Sven saws => $12 specialty blades. The triangular geometry means that you don't actually get as long a stroke as you go deeper into materials.

Edited by alukban (12/14/12)

#7182170 - 12/14/12 Re: Winter Bushcrafting: stuff you need [Re: Jesse Jaymes]
Ed_T Online   content
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted By: Jesse Jaymes
Seems the thread has taken another turn. Hard to be clear or convey full intent.

I was thinking about what would be essential for shelter building in an UNPLANNED EVENT. Meaning, what is essential to be on you during winter day trips for emergency shelter building. That's where I was going with the hatchet vs saw vs knife thing.

Evan-

I am heading back over for "school" in a month or two so I will get some more hands on time. I really, really wish I had taken some of the opportunities that I have squandered. The trip you had up here 2 years ago, or many of the Rondys that come and go without me committing. Much could be learned for free in a weekend. It's tough without a Mentor to assist and stop you from really F'ing up and saving your bacon and also shortening the harder portions of the learning curve....the classic "Too much coal....saw it right off" Jeremiah Johnson mentor.

I own two of EdT's stoves. One being one of his newest designs with roll up Ti. I am sure I could pack this at all times. Have a SuperTarp with Annex also. So its not really that I didn't think out of the box, but my mind just didn't go that direction. Probably the surest bet in the bush though....going with a known system for 5 lbs vs trying to make a warm, heated shelter in the dark with a hatchet and pine boughs.

And maybe it's time to start packing some intermediate tinder as Ed suggests. Something transitional.

Jesse,

Here is my winter fire kit:

Fatwood sticks, Waterproof matches, One handed striker, Wet Fire Tinder, Fire Steel, Tin with Vasiline coated cotton pads, carrying case.

Winter time is not a time to take shortcuts with the ability to make fire.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for HUGE SUMMER DAYS SAVINGS on ZEISS OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE for GREAT PRICES on LEUPOLD OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Who's Online
537 registered (153, 163bc, 117LBS, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 1155 Guests and 359 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,443 Registered Members
72 Forums
691,953 Topics
9,997,945 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.