Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My two .375R's feed and eject like buttah.....no worries there. As to the rest of it, I guess we can agree to disagree. Case design? Shorter, wider powder column burns as fast or faster and more uniformly; it's why the short mags work well, and the 6 PPC sets records.

BobinNH; I can appreciate your passion for the old girl; and no, I don't want to scrap any of those cartridges but I also don't own any of them; there's no need to with the 375R.

Oh, and the only 338 caliber I own is the 338 RCM

Welcome to 2012 and may the sun never set on the British Empire.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by krummarine
My two .375R's feed and eject like buttah.....no worries there. As to the rest of it, I guess we can agree to disagree. Case design? Shorter, wider powder column burns as fast or faster and more uniformly; it's why the short mags work well, and the 6 PPC sets records.

BobinNH; I can appreciate your passion for the old girl; and no, I don't want to scrap any of those cartridges but I also don't own any of them; there's no need to with the 375R.

My 20 year old often reminds me it's 2012. The age of get chit for free and not have to work for it, entitlement era for sure.....Also alright to marry your same sex friend and think god doesn't exist. I guess it's alright to believe a short mag is superior to the old tried and true too... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The Great and never Late 375 Holland And Holland Magnum.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One day I went out to fire my first 375, thinking I'd suffer through 4 or 5 rounds and try to get it close enough to hunt with. I shot all 34 rounds I had with me and was wanting more! And I'm the guy that HATED my 300 magnums recoil.

LOL
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

My 20 year old often reminds me it's 2012. The age of get chit for free and not have to work for it, entitlement era for sure.....Also alright to marry your same sex friend and think god doesn't exist. I guess it's alright to believe a short mag is superior to the old tried and true too... wink

Be sure to clutch 20 rounds or so against your heart when you're buried; it'll be that many less dinosaurs for us to deal with.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a Kimberl Caprivi in .375 and couldn't be more pleased with it.

For half the price, a Winchester Model 70 Safari shoots and functions extremely well. It just isn't as pretty.

A Sako 85 Kodiak is a good alternative as well, and is priced between the Kimberly and the Winchester.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Geez! Everybody is entitle to an opinion, but it doesn't mean your right, although it may be right for you. I own a 375R and love it, and while I agree that it has its advantages(in my opinion), at this point in time they absolutely do not outweigh the benefits of ammo availability and possibly the most proven platform for a DG cartridge that can be reliably shot by damn near anyone. I am currently in the market for an H&H and when I have it, I will most likely enjoy it as much as the Ruger.

Also, you are right to say that the Brits have forgotten more about DG RIFLES than we ever knew, but I wouldn't necessarily apply that to cartridges. The Brits are the absolute masters when it comes to doubles and if I am ever privileged enough to own a 375 double, it will most definitely be a H&H flanged.

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Be sure to clutch 20 rounds or so against your heart when you're buried; it'll be that many less dinosaurs for us to deal with.

The delusions of youth grin...slobbering over a 99 year old design pulled out of mothballs by some marketing genius,and calling it "new" or "better".FYI I likely had one of the first Ruger Africans in 375Ruger available in the new England area,the news was barely out before I had mine....nice rifle and cartridge but held zero advantage over a 375H&H,since I had been building lightweight H&H's for about 30 years at that point(only dummies build 375H&H's weighing more than 9#'s,about the weight of that African,scoped.My 375 weighs 8 pounds on the nose).It lasted about a year until I figured out it was not really worth it.

Suddenly, the kids know more than the thousands(millions) who have turned a H&H on BG animals instead of talking about it... tired

After you've been at this game long enough smirk one of the "truths" you will "discover" (if you can get past the brain-fogging affects of testosterone)is that there are finite limits to what you can feed a manually operated bolt gun;and the overwhelming majority of stuff proclaimed "new" was already done 50-100 years ago by your predecessors.

Older,more experienced people know this and don't fall for every pitch leveled at us by some con man with a "new" cartridge.So when you grow up and get over taking gratuitous backslaps at older folks(and cartridges)you will realize one thing....we are smarter than you,know,and have done,more stuff.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
THAT, should be a "sticky" at the head of every forum section on this site!

As always, Bob, you nailed it and the factual truth of your comments should enlighten a few who could greatly benefit thereby but, in this year of Our Lord, 2012, welllllll.......

One of the best posts I have ever read on "The Campfire"! smile

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by BobinNH

The delusions of youth grin...slobbering over a 99 year old design pulled out of mothballs by some marketing genius,and calling it "new" or "better".FYI I likely had one of the first Ruger Africans in 375Ruger available in the new England area,the news was barely out before I had mine....nice rifle and cartridge but held zero advantage over a 375H&H,since I had been building lightweight H&H's for about 30 years at that point(only dummies build 375H&H's weighing more than 9#'s,about the weight of that African,scoped.My 375 weighs 8 pounds on the nose).It lasted about a year until I figured out it was not really worth it.

Suddenly, the kids know more than the thousands(millions) who have turned a H&H on BG animals instead of talking about it... tired

After you've been at this game long enough smirk one of the "truths" you will "discover" (if you can get past the brain-fogging affects of testosterone)is that there are finite limits to what you can feed a manually operated bolt gun;and the overwhelming majority of stuff proclaimed "new" was already done 50-100 years ago by your predecessors.

Older,more experienced people know this and don't fall for every pitch leveled at us by some con man with a "new" cartridge.So when you grow up and get over taking gratuitous backslaps at older folks(and cartridges)you will realize one thing....we are smarter than you,know,and have done,more stuff.

Very well said, Sir. I don't agree with everything you wrote, but I have to say, that is one of the best posts I've ever read on this board.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Very well said, Sir. I don't agree with everything you wrote, but I have to say, that is one of the best posts I've ever read on this board.

Way to take it like a man...Bob gets his point across very well and has the experience to back it up. One thing I've learned by being here is cartirdge choice means almost nill, it's the marksman behind the trigger that makes all the difference in the world. It's also alright to have an open mind when it comes to choosing a cartridge as well...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
They can harvest any good parts I may have left for others, then throw my ass in the smelter with all of my old dinosaur guns, I'll happily live out the hereafter forged in a chunk of old gun steel and walnut ash. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Bob is known to wax eloquent from time to time.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Bob is known to wax eloquent from time to time.

DF

True: He's one of my favorite writers, but don't let him know.... wink

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You know I'll keep that quiet... blush

Although I've told him such on several occasions... laugh

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The difference between the 375 H&H and the .375 Ruger are almost identical to the differences between the 300 H&H and the .300 Win Mag.

Alaskans are voting with their pocket books and the Ruger is currently outselling the ancient H&H by a wide margin and a number of astute African PH's are also discovering the benefits of the Ruger as well.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 458Win
The difference between the 375 H&H and the .375 Ruger are almost identical to the differences between the 300 H&H and the .300 Win Mag.

Alaskans are voting with their pocket books and the Ruger is currently outselling the ancient H&H by a wide margin and a number of astute African PH's are also discovering the benefits of the Ruger as well.

And when I get a spare ZG47 it will make the transition to .375 Ruger.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
thank you for weighing in, Mr. Shoemaker. As someone who has repeatedly, "been there, done that", I value your opinion greatly on this board.

BobinNH; you're a good writer, but that doesn't mean your points are valid. You can cling to your old beliefs to your hearts content but don't be afraid to grasp modern technology and design.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I see Bob's point as being to what end?

Did you ever tell us exactly what makes the ruger design so good as a hunting round? Short, fat powder column with an efficient burn rate fine. How much more efficient than the H&H? How much more efficient is this in the field and how shall we measure this and, equally important, could hunters tell the difference? I suspect not.

So, we again round back to the point which is to what end all this?

The way life should be.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Which 375 is mostly about personal preference and ammunition availability. Apparently, for now, 375 Ruger ammo in Africa is uncommon. That situation will improve over time.

Last edited by idahoguy101; 12/16/12.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,332 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,402
Posts18,470,144
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.