Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I decided to throw together a family sized insulated ice fishing house this year. The plan was late so the objectives were as follows. Cost was a factor, time to build, weight and room to fish at least 5 comfortably.

I came up with a simple plan on a budget that took me just a little better than a weekend to build.

Floor plan called for 6 fishing doors in the floor that gave each person there own block of space that was 4' by 4' to sit in & fish 2 holes.

Here's what the floor layout looks like.

[Linked Image]

view from bottom side showing framework.

[Linked Image]

this floor was sheeted top & bottom with 1 �� high density foam board insulation in the middle.

The walls were framed of 2x2 lumber with the inside of the walls sheeted with 1/4" plywood. Walls were then attached to the outsides of the floor system so the entire floor size was maintained which is 8 ft wide by 16 ft in length.

Ceiling/roof is flat, full 8' walls with 2x4's as roof stringers spaced at 24" on center same as the wall studs.

The entire exterior of the house was then spray foam insulated with an expanding urethane foam. Pretty ugly on the outside but decent on the inside & pretty light weight in the end for it's size.

Here are a couple of pictures of the outside.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

then the inside

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

still some work to do. I need to mount a heater inside, I also need to finish the walls in the inside by fastening 1x2 firring strips over every row of screws on the walls, I think this will make the inside look a little nicer & it will ad strength sandwiching the sheeting to the studs from the inside.

our plan is to pull it out on Lake of the Woods in northern MN on thursday this week.

Something clever here.

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking good. That'd be ice fishing in style.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
thanks but believe me, the ice houses get pretty rediculous up here with comfort/decor etc. this is bretty basic & ugly compared to a lot of them.

but, budget you see.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Pretty nice dave!!! pretty nice.

My buddy won a shack a few years back valued at $30,000. He also won a wheeler to pull it with. Some deal on a radio station in the Cities a while back.

The inside was furnished with cherry wood cabinets and floors. bathroom, counters, the whole works. I don't know if he ever sold it or not, but he was asking $15,000 for it. He doesn't even ice fish. He kept the wheeler and trailer because he does hunt.

It always works that way.

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
wow, sounds like a very high end house.

lucky bugger

Something clever here.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It was almost gaudy. A normal cat wouldn't build one like that. There would be no use for it.

The one you built is nicer than any I've seen in a long ass time. Not any like that around here. Lots of chip board around here.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I go commando - sit my butt on a bucket.

Me

S
S
That is one SWEET shack, i imagine you buy the foam insulation in bulk, Do you need a special sprayer to apply it??? Also do you get alot of snow at lake of the woods??? Did you use any kind of skids on the bottom??? Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Past expirence tells me your going to need a hard shell on the outside,at least on the corners.They tend to get buggered up.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
i agree, it will ned some sort of outer skin/shell if it's going to last.

Here are some picturtes of the house in use.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dave,

That is one awesome fishing house you've got there! Love the pictures of it in use. How exactly do you transport that bad boy?

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
It fits on a single axle snowmobile trailer, 8x10 bed on that trailer. Weight wise it�s fine for the trailer, but size wise it hangs over the trailer bed in the front & the back. The trailer is a tilt bed so it makes it easy for loading & unloading. If I had a power winch it would be very easy loading, but I currently drag it up on the bed with a hand cable winch (come along).

To get it off the trailer we prep the resting spot by shoveling an area the size of the house, then we park the trailer over that spot, tilt the bed, anchor the house & drive the trailer out from under it.

To anchor the house I drill a fishing hole behind the house with the power auger & drop in a heavy iron hook into the hole on a log chain, I hook up the chain to the end of the house & she�s anchored solid for pulling the house out from under it.

The house also has some very low skids under it, I have (3) green treated 2x4 skids under it with the 2x4�s laying flat. The idea being to keep the house as low to the ice as possible.

Makes it easier to fish.

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably the only "floatable" house on the ice. Which is a good thing if the worst were to ever happen.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
damn thing probably would float.

grin

It's out there on the frozen lake now up on blocks to keep it from freezing to the ice.

I think I'll move it a little this week & get it ready for some saturday fishing. Maybe go out friday after work, move it, re-drill holes, turn the heat on & leave it so it's ready to fish first thing saturday morning for us.

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Something to think about; if you have any discount building supply stores near by - they might have some vinyl siding that is discontinued, 2nds, blemished,etc. that you could put on the outside to protect the foam and it might not cost you a lot of $jack$. Plus, it shouldn't be all that heavy. Just a thought.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
not a bad idea. I'll prolly look into that. thanks.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look like it is warm! grin

Last edited by Whelenman; 01/05/09.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
h it is. t-shirts & beach shorts would be just fine inside that little fishing shack smile

Something clever here.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I noticed its sitting on or real close to the ice ,if you leave it out you might want to block it up ,if that big boy freezes down you are in for a lot of work ,I had an 8x8 and when it froze in I would take my floor jack and spud a hole at one end of the shack and slip jack under it, and apply a lot of pressure and wait a while and it would usually pop right up ,Looks like a lot of fun ,I have since moved to portable shacks as I like to move around if they aint biting in one spot

I,d rather be LOST in the woods than FOUND in the City
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
yes it is very low to the ice, the double layered insulated floor is 2" thich & it all sits on 2x4's laying flat for skids.

I wanted to be as low as i could be for seeing the holes.

it's sitting high up on blocks right now for that very reason. grin

when I get out again I'll drag it over on a fresh spot, drill holes & enjoy another weekend.

I keep my portables handy for the mobility but I'm suddenly spoiled by the comfort of an insulated house.

Something clever here.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (375sunrise, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 338reddog, 450yukon, 10 invisible), 1,161 guests, and 487 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,438
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.