Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by timbo762
Many of us loose sight of the fact that a rifle scope is a "sight" and not a photographic or viewing only device. Really great glass (highly corrected) is nice, but not absolutely necessary, since we're not taking photos or using for extended time viewing. A guy in the woods doesn't need great "1000yd" resolution. Good enough is good enough. What is most important is mechanical reliability, and a scope with a good track record mechanically AND fits your pocketbook will be your best choice.

While certainly not the rule, but rather an exception, there are times when you need to have that "1000 yd resolution" to pick your target out of a crowd. Easy enough to identify the trophy animal with a good bino, but under adverse conditions (i.e., low light) a lesser scope might not be able to discern what you could find in your binos. This is just one example of an advantage to having quality glass on your rifle.
Care to share the specifics of your personal experience where this has been a 'deal breaker' or even mattered at all?

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Many of us loose sight of the fact that a rifle scope is a "sight" and not a photographic or viewing only device. Really great glass (highly corrected) is nice, but not absolutely necessary, since we're not taking photos or using for extended time viewing. A guy in the woods doesn't need great "1000yd" resolution. Good enough is good enough. What is most important is mechanical reliability, and a scope with a good track record mechanically AND fits your pocketbook will be your best choice.

While certainly not the rule, but rather an exception, there are times when you need to have that "1000 yd resolution" to pick your target out of a crowd. Easy enough to identify the trophy animal with a good bino, but under adverse conditions (i.e., low light) a lesser scope might not be able to discern what you could find in your binos. This is just one example of an advantage to having quality glass on your rifle.
Well, as many experts here have stated, a good 6x42 is all you really need. And, it really should be a Zeiss or Schmidt & Bender. But if you're too cheap to spend your kid's college fund on hunting equipment, a Leupold will get you by and a Sightron is ok as long as you buy it now with the $100.00 rebate. I sold this stuff for 35 years, and believe me I have no problem with buying, using, and recommending high end optics. When I took "real" photos, people would ask me why I used/needed a Hasselblad just to take pictures. I would tell them "Because I can't afford anything better". Well, the same applies to rifle scopes, automobiles, and just about everything else I buy. You really can't beat using/having the "best there is" and in a perfect world, we would all drive Bentley's and use Schmidt & Bender's. I would be willing to bet any amount that far more animals are missed (even in dim light) due to mechanical issues than optical quality.

Last edited by timbo762; 12/24/12.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Go with the Nitrex, as you and i know, it's a great scope. Is identical to the weaver that cost 400. I own two TR2's and just bought a tr1 for my truck gun. I also own a sightron siii 8-32, a vortex pst, two bushnell Tacticals and several others. If your not turning dials, the Nitrex is a steal at 100 bucks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Care to share the specifics of your personal experience where this has been a 'deal breaker' or even mattered at all?

There was on occasion when I could see the deer with 8X bino but could not distinguish the antlers in the tangle of twigs and leaves until I turned the scope up to 10X.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Ringman

There was on occasion when I could see the deer with 8X bino but could not distinguish the antlers in the tangle of twigs and leaves until I turned the scope up to 10X.
Was your scope set on 8x like the binoculars to begin with and then moved to 10x?

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by jsthntn247
Go with the Nitrex, as you and i know, it's a great scope. Is identical to the weaver that cost 400. I own two TR2's and just bought a tr1 for my truck gun. I also own a sightron siii 8-32, a vortex pst, two bushnell Tacticals and several others. If your not turning dials, the Nitrex is a steal at 100 bucks.

Thats what my gut is telling me. I have been impressed with the TR One on my ADL. I just pulled it out of the safe a few minutes ago, just to make sure, and the glass is still amazing for a scope of this cost. I think it will serve me well on the little .223.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
While you were defining us low dollar scope buyers as "white trash". I 'd like to say I prefer big dollar stuff bought inexpensively, the best quality that what money I have to spend can buy. So why don't you cruise fleabay, Gunbroker,24 hr classifieds, and other sites find a deal on a 3x9 Leupold VariX llc and quit farting around. Last one I bought was a $160. You asked and I delivered. Magnum Man

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by jsthntn247

Thats what my gut is telling me. I have been impressed with the TR One on my ADL. I just pulled it out of the safe a few minutes ago, just to make sure, and the glass is still amazing for a scope of this cost. I think it will serve me well on the little .223.

Good Choice!!!

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
While you were defining us low dollar scope buyers as "white trash". I 'd like to say I prefer big dollar stuff bought inexpensively, the best quality that what money I have to spend can buy. So why don't you cruise fleabay, Gunbroker,24 hr classifieds, and other sites find a deal on a 3x9 Leupold VariX llc and quit farting around. Last one I bought was a $160. You asked and I delivered. Magnum Man

Huh?

For what its worth, I have a Vari-X IIc on a rifle at the same time I had the Nitrex on the ADL. I kept the Nitrex. Not a Leupold fan then, now, or most likely in the future.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some people get to hung up on name brands. The glass and coatings on the Nitrex are as good or better than any VX-II Leupold plus they are a one piece tube

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
It seems I'm the odd man out.

And, with great frequency. Grins.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Sightron Big Sky in either 3x9 or 3.5x10, with the rebate = $199. Tis a no-brainer.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
...But if you're too cheap to spend your kid's college fund on hunting equipment...

The $4000.00 one can spend on the most expensive S&B 5-25 might pay my daughter's tuition and fees for one semester...and then there's housing.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

328 members (204guy, 260Remguy, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 280ACKIMP, 36 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,754
Posts18,476,336
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.