Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
........all the states would get together, and ban scopes, sabots, and smokeless powder in muzzleloader seasons.

Yeah, i'm biased, and it felt good saying this.

Let the flames proceed. My skin is thick.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
........all the states would get together, and ban scopes, sabots, and smokeless powder in muzzleloader seasons.

How am I supposed to shoot a good buck across a Soybean field with iron sights ? grin

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
You'll need to address that question to Daniel Boone. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You'll need to address that question to Daniel Boone. smile

I heard he is unavailable.. grin . I wish all hunting was a little less simplified and commercialized. I do like the idea of scope sights for someone that has older eyes.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
My eyes are 70 years old. I was given a special license to use a scope in ML season here which is iron sights only. I felt horrible about it, and never could bring myself to use it.

Last week I decided I didn't even want the license on my record, and told the DOW to take it off.

I use a peep which help very little, but does give me a faster sight picture. I just get closer now.

The whole idea of the ML season is to accept it's restrictions. That's why we get to hunt in the rut here in Co. We're suppose to be at a disadvantage to the rifle hunters. With today's technology in ML. We're not at any disadvantage to at least 200yds, and some guns much further than that.

Hard for me to accept.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My eyes are 70 years old. I was given a special license to use a scope in ML season here which is iron sights only. I felt horrible about it, and never could bring myself to use it.

Last week I decided I didn't even want the license on my record, and told the DOW to take it off.

I use a peep which help very little, but does give me a faster sight picture. I just get closer now.

The whole idea of the ML season is to accept it's restrictions. That's why we get to hunt in the rut here in Co. We're suppose to be at a disadvantage to the rifle hunters. With today's technology in ML. We're not at any disadvantage to at least 200yds, and some guns much further than that.

Hard for me to accept.

To be quite honest if I were to muzzle load hunt Elk in Co again, I would have zero problems using iron sights(peep sights)... I have never had more then a 50-60 yard shot on them anyway . Deer hunting where I live though is a bit more complex...most shots are 100 yards or more.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Why?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Why?

RUT coincides with muzzleloader season. There are a lot of agricultural fields in the area and in 2 areas I hunt/ed there are sanctuaries next to the fields and or posted property that we are not allowed to hunt. Closest shot I had last year on a deer was 100+ yards and I was lucky to have that shot. If I had a different property I could hunt woods and staging areas but not on these properties. Since they are well pounded from archery season going forward they come out at the last possible light which makes it more difficult for me to align iron sights on.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
What would you do if scopes weren't legal?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
What would you do if scopes weren't legal?

Find another property with better access. Easier said then done

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I guess that's my point. I have to pass up tons of longer shots to use iron sights, but that's what muzzleloader hunting should be about.

A ML has limitations. Accept them, and find a way to make them work.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Sounds good to me. Our rut is basically over by the time ML season comes around. I will just fill more tags early and relax during the ML season or shoot some coyotes. laugh

I think it should be round ball only too and unlimited tags just like in the Daniel Boone days. Let them take deer all year. Why wait for a season or even have a hunting permit to put food on the table?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I guess that's my point. I have to pass up tons of longer shots to use iron sights, but that's what muzzleloader hunting should be about.

A ML has limitations. Accept them, and find a way to make them work.

As dark as it is where I hunt deer I would have to pass up 50 yard chip shots at deer using iron sights.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Ahh..you haven't seen our dark timber where I hunt. I have to use a ghost sight. Any aperture won't work.

I was thinking of trying one of those low light brass apertures to see if it will work, but to be honest. The ghost sight works pretty good in low light.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 12/25/12.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I wish grown men would quit crying...

J
JSC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I hate "high horse" "Selfish" attitudes. Why would you want to ban any type of hunting that is ethical and accepted by most?

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Cuz.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

So's your head...

laugh

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
ML season gives me two more weeks to hunt. I dont care about nostalgia, etc. I use a scope, sabots, etc..to give me the most chance available to take a deer in the limited time I have. To be honest, I wish Oklahoma would do like Missouri, and allow centerfire pistols during ML.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Overkill45
Sounds good to me. Our rut is basically over by the time ML season comes around. I will just fill more tags early and relax during the ML season or shoot some coyotes. laugh

I think it should be round ball only too and unlimited tags just like in the Daniel Boone days. Let them take deer all year. Why wait for a season or even have a hunting permit to put food on the table?

Our rut is basically starting during Muzzleloader season

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,334
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.