Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Does a cow eat better than a bull? What are the best eating cuts? Thanks...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yes. Backstraps and tenderloins. Nothing better....

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Toolelk

+1

I'll add that i've had some chewy bulls, but normally they taste great. I've never had a bad cow, but I don't shoot the old ones.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Except for spikes, I'd say that cows are better eating. The bulls might not be big enough to get the breeding done but they still go through the rut and have lost some weight. They tend to be tougher.
Tenderloins are the #1 cut, followed by the loins & rounds. I've found that loin chops cut from the front half seem to be a bit tougher than those from the back half.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That's one of the perks of muzzleloader season here. The bulls have just started the rut if at all.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tenerloins, it doesn't matter, bull or cow, it's all great. 5 easy steps...

1. Shoot the elk

2. Get the tenderloins (not Backstraps, because no one is really sure what a backstrap is)

3. Prepare the tenderloins

4. Cook the tenderloins in a smoker grill

5. Eat well...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Ah hell! I was trying to get to bed without eating anything. Now i'm hungry.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Cow is better than old Bull, a younger bull is usually fine.

After that its the same as deer, lion, blackstrap,...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Except for spikes, I'd say that cows are better eating. The bulls might not be big enough to get the breeding done but they still go through the rut and have lost some weight. They tend to be tougher.
Tenderloins are the #1 cut, followed by the loins & rounds. I've found that loin chops cut from the front half seem to be a bit tougher than those from the back half.

Generally all true. The neck end of a loin (backstrap) is indeed tougher. The ribeye section may be tenderest (middle), but the strip steak part between the last rib and the the rump is also good fare. In a worn out old bull aging will help, and if the strip steaks are very flat, you can butterfly them to make a larger steak. By that it means to cut a 2-inch crosscut, then nearly crosscut that all the way through lacking about 1/8 to 1/4 inch, and fold the halves flat, away from each other, giving the look of butterfly wings with the uncut strip in the center.

Tenderloins, from inside the body cavity along the underside of the spine, are the filet mignon. If you try to eat them only a day after the elk was shot, you may find them tough, but all meat will become more tender with age. I have found that sometimes the tenderloins are more strongly flavored than other cuts, not just because of their position inside the body cavity, which may make them more prone to becoming washed in blood or other body fluids.

I generally find rounds to be tougher, and wanting cubing as steaks.

One should not overlook the sirloins (top part of the rump) as good steaks, or as a small roast. These, too, make nice steaks.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
About 20 years ago, I shot a 6x6 bull in New Mexico and a spike bull in Arizona just one week apart. The spike was gamey and tough, the old bull was tender and good tasting. Go figure.

My favorite cuts are the tenderloins, butterflied as described above, and round steaks. We cut them about 1/4- to 3/8-inches thick and beat them with a tenderizing hammer before dipping in flour and frying.

Bill Quimby

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an old Hobart electric tenderizer.I ran my elk steak through it twice and was quite pleased,with the tenderness.They came out just like the cube steak you see in the stores.Life's too short to chew on tough meat.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Aw heck that is what you do with potenchel putred pork not elk.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
grin.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Toolelk

+1

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Tenerloins, it doesn't matter, bull or cow, it's all great. 5 easy steps...

1. Shoot the elk

2. Get the tenderloins (not Backstraps, because no one is really sure what a backstrap is)

3. Prepare the tenderloins

4. Cook the tenderloins in a smoker grill

5. Eat well...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You sir know how to cook a mean tenderloin

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Calves are absolutely primo followed by yearling cows and then spike bulls. I'd be perfectly happy if I could put two calves in the freezer per year.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While I've not eaten it....I'm told a dry cow is the best....and that they can be identified by their color somehow.

If you want superb elk meat just can some.....the stuff is terrific.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Butterflied Tenderloin steaks, grilled to medium rare- makes no diff whether they are from a cow or a bull, IMO, they are just about the best wild game on the planet.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'll agree with loins and backstraps but a lot depends on how you plan to cook it. I used to let the dogs eat the shanks until I slow-cooked some (low heat, 8-10 hrs.) in the oven. The meat slid off the bone and was very tender and tasted great. Now I cook shanks and other gristly cuts in a crock pot. If you do that with a good cut like a backstrap, it doesn't turn out as good, because the collagen (connective tissue) in the shanks turns soft with slow cooking, and the good cuts don't have much of it.

My son's girlfriend doesn't eat much meat but she'll eat the elk I cook. Her favorite is the stuff I cook in the crock pot.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ok, I'll be the scurvy dawg and say for me there's nothing better than an elk burger grilled while out in the hills... cool

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
224 members (160user, 12344mag, 257 mag, 3333vl, 163bc, 300_savage, 29 invisible), 1,324 guests, and 601 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,473
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.