Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The one thing that I have taken from this thread is the value of shooting glasses. A couple years ago a friend and I tested some fairly cheap polycarbonate safety glasses he had removed from his workplace due to scratches. The results of shooting at them from 15 feet. .22 LR, 4 5/8" revolver, did not penetrate. .22 LR, 20" rifle, did not penetrate. .22 WRM, 20" rifle, penetrated.

That's a lot of protection from brass and gas if a .22 LR can't make it through. I had always used regular plastic lenses in my eyeglasses, and had an old set of lenses laying around. Took a hammer to a polycarbonate safety glass lens...it made a mark and that's all. Took the same hammer to the old regular plastic lenses, they shattered and the pieces were SHARP.

All my eyeglasses now have polycarbonate lenses in them. Since I need eyeglasses badly, I'm always wearing them when shooting, priming, etc. But for those with contacts or perfect vision, a pair of shooting glasses religiously worn, should become a habit.

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Joe
Originally Posted by MZ5

4th point, I'd like to see guns like BLRs/ARs (they breech the same way since the introduction of the Lightning BLR), and others in there, too.

Not too long ago, I had a complete case head separation in my AR. I didn't know why it had failed to load and go back into battery until I looked at the very short case (looked similar to a .38 Super) lying on the bench. Never felt a thing.

Had more than one of those with no problem!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by IDMilton
Originally Posted by 4th_point
IDMilton,

I tested my T3 with a compressor like ccrifles mentioned earlier. I can feel air headed straight towards the shooter's face, under the scope. Not good! Its a heck of a lot more air than I expected.

I think the air comes from the passenger side lug region, travels along the passenger side of the bolt and through the lug cutout in the rear of the action (bolt raceway). Pull your bolt out and its almost a straight shot to the face.

You almost need 3 hands to check this and everyone else in the house is asleep (I should've skipped the last cup of coffee!). I'll try to test this again in the AM with some help. I also think I need to modify a case to simulate a case rupture, and another with primer removed to see what happens. I did the compressor test with an empty chamber and this might affect airflow. Its getting late so I might be overlooking something obvious too (air might flow along the driver side or all along the bolt body for all I know). Could really use a smoke tester!

Jason

Thanks for the detailed and informative response. That is really good to know about the T3. Kinda a downer, though. Mine is really accurate and I like it, but I just don't like that it doesn't handle gas well.

I wonder what the options are for the safest bolt gun?
Several people said Mauser 98s. I thought that the Ruger was an improved version, but looking at the eye and face injury, picture, they don't look that safe.

I don't have any experience with a CZ. I handled one in the store and it felt really heavy. Plus, I don't know if they come in stainless/plastic, like I like. If they are the safest design, I'll look at them again.

Vanguards are also heavy, but if they are really safe, maybe I should look into one. My friend had his bolt release lever screw break, so unless that tiny part has been changed, I don't think I'd want one of those either.

Anyway, please post any further testing you do on your T3.

Does anyone have any idea how the Kimbers handle gas? Just like a model 70?

The T3 and my Montana are my only centerfires right now, so I'm just curious about how safe they are.

Well not much of a test is it???

Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by half_whit
Back when I first started shooting one of the older gentlemen I shot with had a case head separation in a 223 tc contender he was shooting on a rockchuck shoot one afternoon. The back 1/3 of the case came out when he opened it. He just dug out the rest of the case with his pocketknife and went on shooting like it was no big deal. I asked him about it, and he told me it happened every once in a while, "because the contender flexes and lets the brass stretch" At the time I didnt know any better. But I saw it happen at least 3-4 more times over the next few years, without any apparent ill effects. Last I heard he was still shooting it, and this was 20+ years ago

Head space problem.Can be solved by shimming the firing pin incasement forward.Also a good reason to shoot cases that are rimmed.

IC B2

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

206 members (2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 17Fan, 28 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,079
Posts18,501,593
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.