Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Good point on eye relief Oldelk.....guess they're more concerned with increasing FOV.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah it definitely looks like a nice scope, price increase definitely makes a guy weigh the value vs some other really good scopes but maybe its worth it. I realy like the darker z-plex reticles on the standard conquest for low light shooting so I am not sure on the thickness of the bars on this new Conquest. Shorter eye relief has me concerned too unless it has an awesome eyebox that offsets it. A 3-15 with standard plex and target turrets seems real appealing though, but $1000 makes you really have to consider a Swaro Z3 too. If it was in the $600 range it would make the decision making a little easier. Im sure guys here will give em a run and let us know.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jpb

Thanks for the link, AC!

By the way, Alex at Europtics is a great guy to deal with! A real class act.

John

Never ordered anything from Europtics, Doug has always been my guy!....grin

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Yeah it definitely looks like a nice scope, price increase definitely makes a guy weigh the value vs some other really good scopes but maybe its worth it. I realy like the darker z-plex reticles on the standard conquest for low light shooting so I am not sure on the thickness of the bars on this new Conquest. Shorter eye relief has me concerned too unless it has an awesome eyebox that offsets it. A 3-15 with standard plex and target turrets seems real appealing though, but $900 makes you really have to consider a Swaro Z3 too. If it was in the $600 range it would make the decision making a little easier. Im sure guys here will give em a run and let us know.

More then the eye relief is the issue with weight and its "new Price". I haven't looked at one in person but for the price,eye relief and weight I will look at a Z3,Leupold VX-6 and if my finances fall off the cliff a BL 2-10x40

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Agreed on all counts. It also throws the very nice VX6 in the mix at that price point. The 2-12x42 can be had at the $799 price pretty easily.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like JGRaider mentioned earlier, if they find that they don't sell like the Conquest didn't for MSRP, they'll probably bring the price down a bit with these everlasting sales we have seen for years on the standard Conquest and then they'll move like hot cakes, much like the Conquest 3-9 has.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jpb

Thanks for the link, AC!

By the way, Alex at Europtics is a great guy to deal with! A real class act.

John

Never ordered anything from Europtics, Doug has always been my guy!....grin

It is good to have choices! smile

Also, unless things have changed, Doug's company Cameralandny.com will not export (which I have to pay attention to even if few others here do)

Europtics will export.

Anyway, the more scopes (and vendors) we have to choose among, the better! More arguments on the optics forum, at the very least! wink

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Absolutely John, hadn't glanced at your local or thought about the complexity of exporting optics!

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Absolutely John, hadn't glanced at your local or thought about the complexity of exporting optics!

I have been thinking of changing my avatar to the Swedish National Bikini Team just so more people (well, guys anyway!) will notice my location. wink

Seriously, I know many here have posted their total satisfaction in dealing with Cameraland. That they are a sponsor here is a plus as well.

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ha.....just noticed that some retailers besides Doug have raised the price of the original Conquest 3-9's back to the $499 price instead of the $399 they have been selling them at for years.....hmmmmm

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't see the complaint on eye relief the regular conquest already had too much as it was. just use a pistol scope if you don't feel like you have enough. the 3-15 and 5-25 are not going to be the kind of scope you will likely want to use on a 375 H&H or other african caliber, when it comes to eye relief you want plenty to not smack your head beyond that your giving up optical performance. too often long eye relief is confused with forgiving eye box, they are 2 different things. the conquest I used to own had so much eye relief I just about had to use an extension front scope ring and or base.

if these scopes are on par with the 3-9 conquest optically and with the larger power range I think these scopes are a hit, I would have liked to seen a 30mm tube, zero stop turret, and 6:1 or greater zoom ratio

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That ocular housing does look large and without seeing it, can't say if it would interfere with operating a bolt action. I'd guess it would be close though. I understand why they do this and the benefits a larger housing offers, but if it makes operating a bolt more difficult, I'd have to pass. Sometimes I wonder if these new designs are actually ever tested on a rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
90mm is just slightly over 3 1/2 inches. Plenty, unless you're a Campfire "hard charger" type.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RDFinn
That ocular housing does look large and without seeing it, can't say if it would interfere with operating a bolt action. I'd guess it would be close though. I understand why they do this and the benefits a larger housing offers, but if it makes operating a bolt more difficult, I'd have to pass. Sometimes I wonder if these new designs are actually ever tested on a rifle.

Without even putting one on a rifle I can tell you the next size ring height will have to be used on a 90 degree bolt rifle. It will work fine on Tikka,Sako,TC Bolts and Weatherby rifles. Yea they are tested with what is sold in Germany would be my best guess

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If you had older eyes with a severe prescription for nearsighted vision, your views of eye relief and large ocular eyepieces would not be nearly so smug.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just looked at the specs for the eye piece diameter of the new Zeiss Conquest HD compared to a Leupold VX-6 and the Zeiss is slightly smaller (2mm's). Guess it looks bigger cause of the 1 inch tube.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by GrimJim
If you had older eyes with a severe prescription for nearsighted vision, your views of eye relief and large ocular eyepieces would not be nearly so smug.

Smug really? I do have older eyes and wear glasses. I see just fine thru Meopta,Zeiss and Swaro scopes that have "smaller" oculars. Swaros and Meoptas are right at 3 1/2 inch eye relief.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I just looked at the specs for the eye piece diameter of the new Zeiss Conquest HD compared to a Leupold VX-6 and the Zeiss is slightly smaller (2mm's). Guess it looks bigger cause of the 1 inch tube.

Yep

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I don't see the complaint on eye relief the regular conquest already had too much as it was. just use a pistol scope if you don't feel like you have enough. the 3-15 and 5-25 are not going to be the kind of scope you will likely want to use on a 375 H&H or other african caliber, when it comes to eye relief you want plenty to not smack your head beyond that your giving up optical performance. too often long eye relief is confused with forgiving eye box, they are 2 different things. the conquest I used to own had so much eye relief I just about had to use an extension front scope ring and or base.

if these scopes are on par with the 3-9 conquest optically and with the larger power range I think these scopes are a hit, I would have liked to seen a 30mm tube, zero stop turret, and 6:1 or greater zoom ratio

Just my opinion, but those zoom ratio's are more than enough (5X and 6X) for anything I might use them for. Zeiss is using their best lense coatings, T* and Lotu-Tec, so I think the prices are right in line for their competition (Bushnell 6500, Leupold VX-6). The 3-5x42 also has a "lockable turret" option which was smart IMO.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
With my prescription I have to turn the focus ring out which shortens the useable eye relief. The eye relief has to protect my glasses not my eyebrow. I have tried 3.5" eye relief on several very good scopes (Swarovski, Kahles) and it is not comfortable.

The Zeiss Conquest series up to 3-9X40 were a godsend. As I don't need higher power or power ratios, I am happy that I have a lifetime supply of the current choices. If you find something you are happy with, buy several before they discontinue or change them.

The large oculars and etched reticles are a welcome bonus.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 3,202 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,313
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.