Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
T
So, this current craziness is good for my business (I sell stripped AR lowers) and I might be able to shake loose some cash I never thought I would have to spare. Ideally, I would love to have a custom rifle built on a nice G33/40 action I lucked into but I honestly (with a wife and a little girl and trying to have more kids) can't justify dropping the $$$ on what the full custom rifle would run me.

I didn't really have much time for Kimber rifles after reading some of the horror stories on accuracy issues with them and dealing with their [bleep] 1911's but just read a review on their new 84L in .280AI and it got me thinking.

I had already settled on the .280AI as Splattermatic is one of my best friends and I saw him kill the first elk ever with that nice SOB of a rifle he recently used to drop his Oryx with. So, sold on the caliber. I like Mauser controlled round feed style guns rather than push feed; no good reason, I just like it over any other style. Both the G33/40 and the Kimber check that box.

I like stainless guns, I like 3 position safeties that lock the bolt, I like lighter guns, I like drop floor plates with the release in the trigger guard and I do like a pretty stock. Other than the stainless, the G33/40 can have all the above but the Kimber has them right from the get go. In addition, even at MSRP, the Kimber would work out a LOT less expensive than a custom.

So, while it sounds as though I have my mind made up, are there any downsides to the Kimber that the collective have experienced? I have heard and read stories of so-so accuracy, horrible customer service but did I miss anything and if so, what? The Kimber really does meet all the criteria of my ideal hunting rifle but this is still a big chunk of change for me to lay out so I'm really interested in the experiences of others with the rifles, thanks.

HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just my 2 cents,and I have shot only one lousy 84L in 270,but IMHO I think Kimber has worked past the gremlins and if wanting a 280 AI,I just would not hesitate a second to grab one.I think the SS with wood stock would be very cool and the fancier the wood the better..I love Karnis' rifle which is a beauty.

That said,I won't suffer delusions,and no Kimber is in the same category as a full blown custom on a G33/40 with top metal work and great stock work by someone like (say) James Anderson or Simillion or such....(and I would never hack at a G33/40 to get perfect feeding for a 280AI(they are too precious)and would go 280 instead)...but that's just me and the Kimber is a great bang for the buck,a lot less expensive by a whole lot of money, and is about the nicest looking factory BG rifle out there today.

I would not worry about getting it to shoot either.

I think they are a great choice and if wanting a 280AI I would never build one...I'd get the Kimber.JMHO

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agree with Bob on this one.
The Kimber, at less than 1/5th the price of a full blown custom, is a great alternative.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like the op has himself talked into Kimberly roulette.

Look into the new M700 mountain rifle, or a Sako

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh No! A new Sako is too easy! They ALWAYS Shoot well out the box wink 700s, flip a 2 sided coin.

Kimber's - they look like a nice package. If they came w/an accuracy warranty...and esp. w/a #2 tube....I digress...

Sure Kimber owners are happy that decide they want one.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like an 84L classic stainless is coming soon...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just picked up a Montana .280ai and while I haven't shot it yet, everything sure does look good as far as fit/finish.

I have a 1000.00 plus shipping in mine and for that money compared to what else is out there I can't complain. Waiting on my scope to get here (hopefully today) and I'll get it mounted and ready to go.

Life is just one damned thing after another
T
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Sounds like the op has himself talked into Kimberly roulette.

Nope. I hate the Remington 700 with a passion. They might be accurate but they are cheaply made crap IMHO. The safety is dog crap and the push feed system isn't my preference or did you happen to blow by the list of requirements in my post? confused

Similarly, the Sako, while undoubtedly a fine rifle (I have a couple Tikka/Sako rifles already, one of which I am re-barreling to .22/243) does not have the controlled round feed I seek. This isn't a question about which rifle to buy for about $1200; it's about how I can get what I want from a custom rifle in something close to a production rifle. Looked at the Win 70 SS featherweight but it's considerably heavier and not available in .280AI from the factory and I'm not sure the action is stainless as well as the barrel?

Just to clarify; I don't HAVE to buy another hunting rifle. I have several safes full of guns from .22 Hornet thru .375 H&H to belt fed full autos. I had pipe dreams and plans for this G33/40 action but the reality is, unless I win the lottery, it will remain a pipe dream until I am way too fuggin old to take advantage of it. I had never really considered the Kimber based on stuff I had heard but after reading the article (and yes Virginia, having worked in the gun industry for quite a while, I am very aware of the happy horse crap some gun writers put out for the sake of continuing to get guns to review) it piqued my interest in the model.

Ergo, I would like some comments from those with experience with the specific rifles rather than brick bats from the sidelines from people who can't even be bothered to understand what it is I am wanting.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Re-read what the OP detailed regarding the features he wants:

I like Mauser controlled round feed style guns rather than push feed

I like 3 position safeties that lock the bolt

I like lighter guns

I like drop floor plates with the release in the trigger guard

I do like a pretty stock.

Why not help him find a rifle with the features he wants, instead of suggesting rifles that don't offer all of the features on his list?

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mebbe I did miss that (frankly my eyes glazed over at about the second paragraph), but with his obvious dislike for a couple of established gunmakers, Kimber included, and his curious requirements (controlled feed, really?).. I'm just seeing a fishing expedition.

Good luck with your brick bats.

PS, just a suggestion, if you're worried about paying for a custom with a couple of kids, sell something out of your several full safes. I suggest your full auto belt fed. smirk

PSS.. Do you know someone by the name of Lee24 by chance?

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My Montana 84L 280 AI is on the way now and will shoot it by this weekend.

That Kimber Roulette schit is for people like Take_A_Knee. TFF!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a Kimber Montana 84L 280AI this summer. I've only developed one load that it shoots inch to inch and quarter. If powder becomes available again after this scare I'll try a few other rounds this summer.

I like how the gun shoots and handles. I have another Kimber Montana that shoots under half inch.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I just bought a Kimber 84L Montana in 30.06. I have been to the range 2 times. The gun wants to shoot. I have several targets between an 1" and 1 1/2" and several bigger than that......this is all with factory ammo. The days I went out were very windy and I have a little work to do to get used to shooting such a light gun (6 1/2 lbs. with a scope). I feel that with a little more time and better weather (and maybe handloads)I will hit my goal. I would buy another Montana!!!

While 1/2" groups are always nice I would be happy with 1" to 1 1/4" groups. I bought this to hunt with and am willing to sacrifice a little accuracy for the weight savings!!!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The only problem with a 280 or 280 AI is that you can never justify purchasing another gun.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nsaqam
The Kimber, at less than 1/5th the price of a full blown custom, is a great alternative.

I'd be surprised if you could get a wood stocked custom from either of the guys Bob mentioned for less than 10 grand. I believe a McMillan stocked "Myth" from Gene Simillion is 7-8 K.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by nsaqam

I'd be surprised if you could get a wood stocked custom from either of the guys Bob mentioned for less than 10 grand. I believe a McMillan stocked "Myth" from Gene Simillion is 7-8 K.

You're right of course and some charge probably 20 times what a Kimber costs.
If I only breathed that rarified air!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
T
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Mebbe I did miss that (frankly my eyes glazed over at about the second paragraph), but with his obvious dislike for a couple of established gunmakers, Kimber included, and his curious requirements (controlled feed, really?).. I'm just seeing a fishing expedition.

Good luck with your brick bats.

PS, just a suggestion, if you're worried about paying for a custom with a couple of kids, sell something out of your several full safes. I suggest your full auto belt fed. smirk

PSS.. Do you know someone by the name of Lee24 by chance?

I am an 07 manufacturer FFL with an SOT hence my post 1986 dealer sample belt fed cost considerably less than this Kimber is likely to. Most of my guns are working guns and therefore, not terribly valuable but treasured none the less. My .375 H&H is built on a P17 action and came from a dear friend on his passing but it is practically worthless, being stocked very plainly, no provision for scope mounting and has the original barrel bored out and re-rifled. It would make a great Alaska guide gun but might fetch $350 at best.

It's not so much selling the guns to afford the custom; its being able to justify to the family that I have to spend $5,000 (or more) on a rifle to kill animals just as dead as my .300 Win Mag or .270 or 7mm Mag or even my old sporterized by Parker Hale .303 Enfield.

I never said a bad thing about Sako rifles other than they did not meet my requirements and last I looked, I'm the one spending my money. I stated I had read and heard some things about Kimber rifles that concerned me. As far as Kimber 1911's? Well, a former employee worked there for several years and if you saw the crappy 1911's he built, had seen half the failures of their parts and inspected as many Kimber 1911's as I have, you might have a grasp of why I am biased against the Kimber 1911.

The only truth in your mangling of my post was that I stated I had no time for Remington rifles and I stick to that. The 700 was designed to be cheaply and quickly made. Nothing about it was made to be quality, it was all about quantity and economy from stamped trigger parts to tubular receivers to brazed on bolt handles to a cheap extractor. You can put lipstick on a pig but a pig it will remain.

This is my rifle, my ideal of what I want and nothing whatsoever to do with you unless you have something more to add than showing your arse. I am 45 years old, grew up hunting and shooting in the UK and have probably killed more things that fly, run and crawl than you have ever seen. During the summer months in the UK, I was out every night and weekend with my father as we were part time gamekeepers. It was not unusual to shoot 40 or 50 rabbits in a single night with suppressed .22 rifles with a spotlight from our Land Rover.

Ever sat at the side of a freshly sown pea field shooting wild wood pigeons with a shotgun until your head ached from the recoil and you were almost ankle deep in shell cases cuz you were the only thing stopping those flying rats from wiping out the farmer's entire crop? How about being laid on a foam sleeping mat on a Scottish hillside culling red deer hinds and having to lay the .270 down in the snow to cool the barrel off cuz it was getting too hot after shooting 37 deer to your own gun? Or standing in a butt on a Yorkshire grouse moor shooting driven red grouse flitting across the heather at over 60mph? Ever crouched in a makeshift tree stand in below freezing weather with snow crawling down your neck waiting for the fox that has been decimating your stock of pheasants? Not to mention hunting men as an anti terrorist team commander in the military and spending 40+ hours a week as a full time police officer serving my community.

No? I've done all of those things and more so when I say I have a list of requirements for MY ideal rifle, its based on what I have done, seen and experienced. I didn't realize MY ideal of what I want in a rifle had to match some self appointed Camp Fire Bwana's idea of what was acceptable. Hey, if what I want makes your eyes glaze over then move on to the next thread and keep your unwelcome, irrelevant comments to yourself. However, with as many posts as you seem to have, I'm guessing that is pretty impossible. Almost 12,000 posts in 8 years works out to be about 4 posts a day, every day. You either have a whole lot to say about everything or a big mouth or both...... sleep

I also have no idea who in the hell the guy is you are referencing; I know a total of two other folks on this forum and that would be Splattermatic and Huntr both of whom are top notch folks with whom I have had the pleasure of hunting with on several occasions.

I am very grateful to those who have shared their knowledge and experiences with Kimber rifles with me and hope that others will add others, both good and bad.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yada yada yada.. I've seen death, I've saved a life. I've run into burning houses and blowing up wildland and not get paid for it. I've been to the top of mountains, the bottom of the ocean, and gotten dinner off of both. I've ridden the power of this earth and held it's beauty in my hands. I've almost died a bunch of times, and have lived every day.

and your posts don't mean chit to me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
g man; take a breath brother. You are in imminent danger of being named The English Hunter1960!

I understand getting angry; been a cop 20 years myself.

Heck, the real hunter1960 was a dipschitt who worked at my department and got fired because he was a whacko. His anger killed him earlier this year.

Life is too short to get pizzed at guys on here, my friend.

I used to envy you local boys who got to hunt in GB; did several TDYs to RAF Mildenhall with the Blackbird in late '70s and early '80s. Woulda given the left testes to go hunting there.

Just chillax. Every MFer on here wishes they had access to a belt-fed. You got it made in the shade.

Have a happy New Year.

BTW, I too am teetering on the edge of a Montana in .280AI. But my left brain says the .308 would be more practical.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G can more than handle himself here.
He just doesn't put up with people who can't read or comprehend.
We do play with some cool toys.
Why should he or anyone else sell to buy? If one has the wants to add another and keep it in the budget, why not get reviews on a production rifle that can be had now, instead of piece mealing a custom that may take years to finish to stay in the budget?

Rancho, just remember he is a Brit, and speaks his mind, while pulling no punches. He meant no foul.

Guess my 280ai made an impression! !!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,473
Posts18,489,910
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.