Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Well, I'd have to say that is a pretty good bit of logic.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I tend to agree the 9mm needs all the help it can get and more velocity certain ain't going to hurt

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Back in the day... before bullet development, velocity was KING.
The key to getting any performance from a slug.

Now? Look at all the research Hornady did to meet the FBI penetration standards. The Critical Duty 9mm meets and excedes all FBI tests. At "standard" velocities and through all substrates, steel, drywall, plywood , clothing.

Back in the 60's all we had were lead and hardball jacketed slugs. and a few HP's.

Today, we are blessed by technology!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

More velocity creates more hydraulic pressure and that is a good thing

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carry Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P in my 9mm for the sole purpose that my gun shoots them very accurately and I am of the school of thought that rounds placed accurately on target beats rounds of slower or faster pace not hitting the target at all. My general practice with the gun is double tap to the center of the chest and one to the head. If I accurately execute this means of hitting the target I feel most certain the goal of stopping said perpetrator will have occurred or that I will stand a much higher percentage chance of being able to survive the altercation.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
IC B2

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have yet to see where a +P makes any sort of a larger wound. The advantages of the +P are not for terminal performance in living tissue, but barrier penetration. Your typical +P 9mm will expand a tiny bit more, and penetrate a tiny bit less. As for actual tissue destroyed, it�s a wash. No one is ever going to notice that your bullet had an extra 50fps.

The disadvantages are that to get that additional 50fps, you have quite a noticeable increase in recoil, and muzzle blast; making your 9mm feel much more like a .40. To me, one of the great appeals of the 9mm is that it�s a joy to shoot, recoil is very low and muzzle blast isn�t offensive.

With .38 Special, the difference you get is quite noticeable and typically does end up creating larger, deeper wounds. But you don�t get a larger, deeper wound with a 9mm in a +P, you just get more recoil and muzzle blast. That�s why I don�t understand the appeal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
... with a 9mm in a +P, you just get more recoil and muzzle blast. That�s why I don�t understand the appeal.

So I take it you are not a fan of the 357 Sig?

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No one is ever going to notice that your bullet had an extra 50fps.

The disadvantages are that to get that additional 50fps, you have quite a noticeable increase in recoil, and muzzle blast; making your 9mm feel much more like a .40.

Of course, if you marginalize every advantage, and magnify any disadvantage, you will always have a good argument.

Last time I clocked Gold Dot +Ps I was getting 75-100 fps more than WWB. And it didn't really feel notably different recoil-wise to me, at least to the extent of affecting my aim.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Why use a 9mm +p when you can use a .45acp?

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain

Exactly!!!!!!!

IC B3

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk
... with a 9mm in a +P, you just get more recoil and muzzle blast. That�s why I don�t understand the appeal.

So I take it you are not a fan of the 357 Sig?
Fan? Not so much, but I have absolutely nothing against it. When bullets are properly constructed to match the velocity of the .357 Sig, rather than just pushing a standard 9mm bullet faster, then it can actually create a larger, deeper wound than say a 9mm or 9mm +P. In such a case, you actually get a benefit from the increased recoil and muzzle blast.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RufusG
No one is ever going to notice that your bullet had an extra 50fps.

The disadvantages are that to get that additional 50fps, you have quite a noticeable increase in recoil, and muzzle blast; making your 9mm feel much more like a .40.

Of course, if you marginalize every advantage, and magnify any disadvantage, you will always have a good argument.

Last time I clocked Gold Dot +Ps I was getting 75-100 fps more than WWB. And it didn't really feel notably different recoil-wise to me, at least to the extent of affecting my aim.

50fps is typically for most +P 9mm�s and 100 fps for some +P+. If you don�t notice any difference in recoil or muzzle blast, then you probably don�t see a difference. My point is that it doesn�t actually create a larger wound.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain

Ding, ding, ding, ding... We have a winner!!

That�s kind my point. When your 9mm starts to whip around like a .40, yet the actual wound is really no different; why not just get a .40 or .45 ACP?

I�m not dogging on the 9mm, I happen to be a big fan, just not a fan of +P in 9mm.

I think people see +P and just assume it �hits harder� or creates a bigger wound, when in reality it typically doesn�t. But it certainly does get you better barrier penetration, but if you were to compare a 9mm 124 grain +P+ to a standard pressure 147 grain, you�ll get greater penetration with the standard pressure 147.

So specifically in 9mm, I just don�t think +P really has anything to offer other than recoil and muzzle blast. But that wicked recoil and muzzle blast seems to be convincing people they�re really getting something.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My point is that it doesn�t actually create a larger wound.

Well, I'm willing to go out on a limb and guess that it doesn't create a smaller wound either. But if you're shooting at something a little farther away, or your barrel is shorter than the test barrel, having a few extra fps available wouldn't be a bad thing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is this where the 8 v/s 17 argument steps in?

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk
Is this where the 8 v/s 17 argument steps in?
That argument isn't related to +P vs. non +P; that's a 9 vs. 40 vs. 45 thing.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RufusG
My point is that it doesn�t actually create a larger wound.

Well, I'm willing to go out on a limb and guess that it doesn't create a smaller wound either. But if you're shooting at something a little farther away, or your barrel is shorter than the test barrel, having a few extra fps available wouldn't be a bad thing.
That's splitting a pretty fine hair.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK, so let's assume this... If your gun digest and accurately whirls a +P and you put two to the chest and one to the head - will the perp know it was a 9mm or will he be proud it wasn't a 45? More closely related to the thread subject, will the perp know if it was a standard, +P or +P+? Putting your payload accurately on target is the game changer. If when using a bonded bullet I choose the +P it's b/c when I hit a perp in the chest twice I want the bullet to rapidly expand, penetrate roughly 8 to 12", pancake out and dump 100% of the energy into the target. As for the harder, more boney head shot, mere penetration of the skeletal structure and entrance into the brain will suffice well enough. For this, I like the accuracy I get from the +P loading and the grain weight matched with caliber/speed gives me the results I'm looking for in penetration, expansion and energy dump. I may can drive a 6 cylinder to town and get groceries but I like the 8 cylinder better b/c well, it's just my cup of tea.

Last edited by Dawn2Dusk; 01/03/13.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That's splitting a pretty fine hair.

Seem's to me it's the same hair that's making you weep over the uncontrollable +P recoil and the 6 foot flame coming out of the barrel.

But like I said, marginalize the benefits, magnify any potential drawbacks (neither of which you can directly quantify, but have kindly decided for us just how much they matter) and you're always right.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If +P increases the user's confidence, I say that's a good thing. Even if the wounds are same/same.

I like 147s at 1100 fps from my G17. Would 980 fps work? I suppose it would, but the extra speed just makes me feel better. In the G17 I can't see where it is at all difficult to shoot, maybe it could be an issue in some of the smaller 9mm pistols.

I have 40 and 45 options too.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

391 members (264mag, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 47 invisible), 1,822 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,844
Posts18,517,281
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.