OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
^ haha, sounds about right.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Along those lines I sold guns and scopes for years and the number of people that think the numbers on an AO are "rangefinders" is staggering. They think if you figure the shot to be 400 yards, you just turn the AO to 400 and fire...

I wish I were kidding, but Im not, and I wish I had $1 for every one of them....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ZacP
At the beginning of deer season I had a buddy's brother shoot one at 400, said he aimed at the top of his back. I called BS and we set up a 400 yard shot (gun sighted in at 100). He shot 5 times before he got pissed and left. About 3' high is what it took and that was @ 400. I read and hear stories about 400+ shots and for the ones that can actually do it I am impressed. Here is the thing, until a person takes their gun and shoots targets at these distances they have no clue.

Amazes me the number of people that think this way with a rifle zeroed at 100yds. I can aim at the top of the back at 400, but that's shooting a 257Wby zeroed at 300!

Also amazed at the number of people who think that because a rifle drops a given number of inches from 100 to 200yds, it will drop the same number of inches between 200-300, 300-400, etc. Those people are astounded when you show them an actual ballistic chart out to 6-700yds!

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I had a young guy new to Alaska tell me one time that he missed a caribou at 600 yards, I said what the hell were you shooting??? He told me the caliber and then said he didn't understand how he missed because he put the scope on the 6 for 600 yards shot several times but never hit it. I asked what kind of scope are you talking about, does it have turrets or something and he said, no....its a 3-9x40 and the 3 is for 300 and the 9 is for 900 so I just put it on 6. This is an honest to god true story, I told this young feller, dude.......don't tell anyone else what you just told me, I don't want you to look stupid, but this is what the 3-9 means......

Hahaha now that is some funny shi*!!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Some damn funny storys here. Ive seen/heard most of them as well from people around my town and hunting parties.

A friend of mine, nice guy but just not a shooter...told me his T3 300 WM was zero'd for 800 yards laugh

I said "holy [bleep] thats a damn good zero, howd you zero that?" He said the local gun shop bore sighted it a foot high for him.

I promptly asked him to shoot against my 7mm RSAUM at 800 yards for pink slips....he declined frown

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I was bowhunting a lot, I had a hard time judging distances so everything looked like 40 yards to me. Bowsights were just a hazard to me as I didn't have a rangefinder back then. I ended up shooting a compound with fingers and no sights and took over 40 critters that way. In Idaho it's only one deer/year.

Fast forward to the tech age of range finders and now I understand how those guys with .270's and 30-06's are hitting those deer/elk/moose at "600 yards". They're really only shooting 200-250 yards and they seem to have enough velocity and sighting high enough at 100 to hit them. When I ask guys in the field how far away the white rock is when it's 225 yards, they will guess 300-500 yards.

I still have a hard time with distances and without my lazer range finder I'd be lost. Use it on the golf course also.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Damn Arch, you gotta SAUM? You can't be all bad!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
That is what i was told at work. Some guy told me his friend took a 600 yard shot on an elk. He missed...

I asked him what his drop was at that range? He said he didn't know, but the guy was shooting a fast and flat 270 so it was no problem.

Then I was told they guessed at the range, but it was probably 500-600 yards. The shot was right at dark too. .

No rangefinder, no turrets etc, no idea on drop. Sounds like a perfect longrange situation.

probably killed the Elk and just couldn't find it

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That is what i was told at work. Some guy told me his friend took a 600 yard shot on an elk. He missed...

I asked him what his drop was at that range? He said he didn't know, but the guy was shooting a fast and flat 270 so it was no problem.

Then I was told they guessed at the range, but it was probably 500-600 yards. The shot was right at dark too. .

No rangefinder, no turrets etc, no idea on drop. Sounds like a perfect longrange situation.

I hear this often and frequently--even more so from 7mmRM owners.

I always quote them my drop with my 270 and 150 grainers sighted in at 200 yds--they rarely believe me either..........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When they say they shot a deer at 400 yards, they're full of schit. When they say it was at 412, you can believe it.......

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Probably related to the turkey here that insists on regaling me of his exploits and ability...his standard fare is that he sights in smack on at 100 yds and it is still rising at 300 yards.

...generally ends with an excited retelling of the 800 yd shots he routinely takes under a spotlight with a 12x Leupold and a 223 with 55gr projectiles.

It is all I can do not to beat the stupid son-of-a-bitch to death when he opens his idiotic yap.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Redhill
When I was bowhunting a lot, I had a hard time judging distances so everything looked like 40 yards to me. Bowsights were just a hazard to me as I didn't have a rangefinder back then. I ended up shooting a compound with fingers and no sights and took over 40 critters that way. In Idaho it's only one deer/year.

Fast forward to the tech age of range finders and now I understand how those guys with .270's and 30-06's are hitting those deer/elk/moose at "600 yards". They're really only shooting 200-250 yards and they seem to have enough velocity and sighting high enough at 100 to hit them. When I ask guys in the field how far away the white rock is when it's 225 yards, they will guess 300-500 yards.

I still have a hard time with distances and without my lazer range finder I'd be lost. Use it on the golf course also.

If you spend enough time on a range with known distances,do enough varmint hunting,shoot some life sized animal sillouettes,know the subtensions of your scope reticle,you can get pretty good at estimating distances....you will never be as good as you are with a LRF of course(assuming you have time and conditions to use it and get a reading)....but you will get good enough to make a decent call to 300 yards or so....and using your scope reticle for subtension, sometimes further.

I've taken shooters to the 300 yard line many times who have looked at it and said that it looked farther to them than they had imagined....of course right there lies the problem.....they had not done very much shooting at that distance,so to them it looked like a terribly long way.....400-500 yards looked like even worse and 600 might just as well have been on the moon.

An LRF can definately be a lifesaver but anybody accustomed to shooting a great deal should be able to distinguish 200 from 300 yards pretty easily.Distinuishing between 200 and 300 yards is simply not that difficult.

It's a silly notion to believe that the oldtimers did "by guess and by gosh" when it came to killing animals and all of them overestimated distances, and that none actually killed game beyond 200 yards.More myth by people who rely on technology and don't have the field experience nor time behind a rifle to know how to do it.

Game actually got killed, and very efficiently,at 400 yards....and sometimes beyond (or so; no, not all of them were full of shidt grin...some knew exactly what they were doing.

What do guys do if for some reason they can't use the LRF? Or the animal is on the move and there isn't time?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH

What do guys do if for some reason they can't use the LRF? Or the animal is on the move and there isn't time?

Get off their lazy fat arses and walk closer.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sometimes that works... grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

No. He hit the elk. However, seeings how he was using a lowly .270 Win, the damned bullet bounced off it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Get off their lazy fat arses and walk closer.

Stalking is an art not yet known to some hunters.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My 270 doesn't have any drop regardless of the distant until the bullet is past my intended target and then it decides it is useless to go any farther .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
you guys got nuttin'...my neighbors son has a 223 WSSM that can hit a jackrabbit in the eye at 600 yds offhand...oh and it sports and old steel tube Weaver 3x9 laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I just lob a 175 gr. 7x57 at them long rangers and hope it doesn't burn up on re-entry! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a guy in my hunting camp tell his 270 wsm only drops 4 inches at 500 yards.

I just said " wow thats awesome"

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1minute, 1234, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 13,409 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,272
Posts18,545,007
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.