Page 10 of 19 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#7279092 - 01/07/13 01:05 AM Re: Spainish made stuff is junk [Re: bigblock455]
captchee Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By: bigblock455
Hawken rifles were tight at the muzzle, almost like a funnel. Made loading hard, but they claimed it made the shots more accurate. Who knows for sure.

i would say that if they were , it would have to have been late Hawkins rifles , produced under the Hawkins name after they sold the shop .
i say that because the rifling platform they had , seems to me to have been incapable of drawing cut rifling through a tapered bore .
It is often recorded that Hawkens rifles carried a tapered barrel . But thatís the profile of the outside not the bore
Now I could be wrong but the taper bore /squeeze bore didnít come about until the advent of forged rifling
Now I have heard of later bench rifles with a tapered bore but normally that was only .0001-2 at the muzzle area .

could you PM me with refrance to Hawkins rifles and the taperd bore big block . i would engoy reading about that

I would seriously doubt that Adesa is using a MIM process for barrel manufacturing .
If they were , their parts would have much higher tolerances. Which swampman , you are saying they donít
But again if we are to complain about what Adesa does , then why not complain about what S&W does ???
Or Remington for that mater .

The fact simply is that if you have a modern gun , that gun will most likely have MIM parts . doesnít mater the maker .
In fact many older guns have early MIM type parts .
I remember back in the early 80ís when many manufactures started selling injection cast parts .
Specifically breech plugs . OHHH how the cry went out about how unsafe they were .
Yet today , its not uncommon to find a very large selection of injection cast plugs .
This cry about MIM is IMO nothing more then the old cry about cast vs. forged parts
In fact I would seriously doubt that for those who buy complete finished replacement parts, you would know if the part was originally injected molded or not unless someone told you .

The difference you are talking about is that today MIM also includes binders vs. the old complete metal melt . Its also a completely different process thatís primarily used for making parts that would other wise have a very high production cost OR a lot of milling cost . Again production cost . Thatís where the MIM production comes in and frankly where it shines
Despite what you may think , barrel making is not such an area . Yes it takes time but whatís been the major cost is in the rifling of the barrel . But today as more and more barrel makers switch to the button rifling process , which now takes around 60 seconds to rifle a bore vs. cut rifling which even with modern machinery still takes around an hour . By hand , days .
I would bet that Adesa uses the button rifling process as its been accepted in Europe for some time, where we have held onto the cut rifling

I do think the day will come when modern MIM enters the rifle barrel market .
Some suggest that its already in the pistol barrel market ,. But frankly youíre the first I have heard suggest that someone is already using MIM to make rifle barrels.

Edited by captchee (01/07/13 02:15 AM)

#7279316 - 01/07/13 05:29 AM Re: Spainish made stuff is junk [Re: Swampman700]
captchee Offline
Campfire Ranger

Quote:
I googled this Wakeman guy and he is interesting. I'll have to read up on him. Thanks

LMAO seriously . you just gooled him did ya .
thats a new ploy since you been refering to him on near every post for years

Quote:
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=127161.15;wap2

Quote:
http://64.120.52.50/forums/index.php?topic=165580.45;wap2

here is a good one from back in 2010

and who can forget 2005

Edited by captchee (01/07/13 05:30 AM)

#7279662 - 01/07/13 07:22 AM Re: Spainish made stuff is junk [Re: Swampman700]
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: Swampman700
The MIM process for barrel production is interesting.

Where are you getting that?

#7279915 - 01/07/13 08:24 AM Re: Spainish made stuff is junk [Re: FVA]
Mauser_Hunter Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Colorado
Now I know who swamp is, and it all makes sense now.

#7282719 - 01/07/13 06:17 PM Re: Spainish made stuff is junk [Re: Mauser_Hunter]
Swampman700 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Like I said Wakeman sems to know what he's talking about. I've been doing some reading of his sites today. I may give him a call. Public safety is important to all of us.

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

#7283159 - 01/07/13 07:33 PM Re: Spainish made stuff is junk [Re: Swampman700]
Mauser_Hunter Offline
Campfire Guide

I can show you an old post that Wakeman claims he's shot hundreds of Powerbelts, and liked them. Now he calls them junk.

He's a whore open to the highest bidder.

#7283204 - 01/07/13 07:41 PM Re: Spainish made stuff is junk [Re: Mauser_Hunter]
bigblock455 Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Boncarbo,Colorado
This one mauser?

#7283269 - 01/07/13 07:52 PM Re: Spainish made stuff is junk [Re: bigblock455]
Mauser_Hunter Offline
Campfire Guide

Yeah, I forgot. It wasn't hundreds. He shot thousands of them.

He must have liked them. That was before BPI owned them, but now that BPI owns then they're junk.

Just like Toby saying round balls don't work.

#7283935 - 01/08/13 01:58 AM Re: Spainish made stuff is junk [Re: Mauser_Hunter]
captchee Offline
Campfire Ranger

LMAO NICE big block , i wonder if he will show up and threaten to sue you for copy write for quoting him as he did me back when I quoted him
Remembered how he got all fired up because I sent a letter to Pedersoli and Davidís son personally replied with a volume long letter of information contradicting most everything in the quote

never mind Mauser_Hunter
That , Toby shot Rb for years and wrong many articles on his harvests with RB .
But thatís only part of it Mauser Hunter . At one time there was a large group of us here . Both traditional and modern shooters that came from an another the Huntamerica forum . We remember Wakeman real well .
thatís been along time ago but were you not on that forum at that time with myself , black hart and a few others big block

For those new here who may not understand .
swampman is renoun for this. as has been shown, he knows full well who wakeman is and thats been show . but lets jump back / flash back to 2011
even if you dont read the whole thread . at least read the first 4-5 pages .
https://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5357364/1

LMAO anyone else remember RW artical on how bad the Rem 700 was LOL , that was a good thread as well and started out with swampan linking to RW web page LOL

Edited by captchee (01/08/13 03:36 AM)

#7283964 - 01/08/13 03:32 AM Re: Spainish made stuff is junk [Re: Mauser_Hunter]
Crockettnj Offline
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted By: Mauser_Hunter
He's a whore open to the highest bidder.

Extremely likely

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.

Page 10 of 19 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for GREAT DEALS on VORTEX OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
639 registered (10pointer, 00_Sean, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10ring1, 75 invisible), 1440 Guests and 382 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50609 Members
72 Forums
637299 Topics
9145762 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright © 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.