-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some barrel-makers just hoot and sneer at it.

I quit thumping drums and tooting tubas for one of my favorite barrel-makers for that very reason (plus the fact that he denied having done so in the presence of the guy who'd heard 'im do it repeatedly. Canceled my orders for barrels that he wouldn't make the way that I'd specified). He makes super-fine barrels if you let 'im do 'em his way in all respects.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Question for Ken.

How much influence does the shank length and taper have? I can see that a straight taper might be less prone to unusual vibrations or harmonics but no idea on the shank portion.

I like the radius step Douglas contour and have a tapered barrel I was thinking of having the straight tapered shank modified this way.

This barrel is very similar to your contour but with a long taper from the shank then straight to the muzzle at .600 for a .25 caliber blank.

Thanks

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The chamber reinforce � which I assume that you're referring-to as the "shank" � that portion immediately ahead of the threaded tenon � is usually a right cylinder to accommodate the barrel vise. I see no advantage or reason to taper it or to make it shorter than the body-and-shoulder section of the chamber.

It has to be bigger in diameter to be sure that it safely and consistently contains the average peak pressures produced by the powder charge while the bullet is just beginning to move. Then, as the internal pressure decreases, it's safe enough to let the farther-forward diameters decrease. The customary contour � with the concave radius suddenly reducing the diameters � adequately accommodates the first sweeping decrease in internal pressures.

But my contour design is about the stiffness of the barrel itself, not its ability to contain the internal pressures.

The muzzle of a cantilevered barrel droops. How far down it droops affects the consistency of the bullets' exits, which in turn affects the repeatability of the bullets' trajectories and ultimately where each bullet penetrates the target.

That's why the "stiffness" of the barrel is important. The less the muzzle droops, the more consistently the bullets exit the muzzle on the shorter up-sweep.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by goodshot
Has anyone ever tried to full length bed a Kimber Montana ? Maybe a stupid thought, but they use a skinny barrel and seem to not shoot like the NULA rifles do (at least some don't ) and I think Melvin helped design the stock on the Kimber so does this sound crazy?

This deserves its own thread....

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,079
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.