CLICK HERE for $200 INSTANT SAVING - ANSWER THE CHALLENGE!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7289517 - 01/09/13 09:25 AM Re: Any shooting glove recommendations for 3 and 4-position smallbore shooting? [Re: rost495]
bberg7794 Offline

Loc: St Lawrence Valley, NY
"Though position guns are much more so set up that you can run the hand to the handstop generally, than my service rifle rules allow."

I am shooting a sporter (CZ452 FS), not a target rifle at this time and therefore I do not have a handstop. I would like to top out with this rifle before deciding to move to a dedicated target rifle and am not trying to turn this sporter into a target rifle apart from a rear sight upgrade with target aperture and trigger modification (in the future). I use a sling, but am not experiencing any discomfort in my support hand. The forestock of my rifle is quite small and round. I just try to relax my support hand as much as possible and let the sling more or less hold the rifle (not in offhand, of course). I am hoping a glove will help a bit with hand tremor and pulse in my fairly light rifle so I can close the gap a bit more with our dedicated target rifle shooters.

#7289969 - 01/09/13 11:34 AM Re: Any shooting glove recommendations for 3 and 4-position smallbore shooting? [Re: bberg7794]
rost495 Online   content
Campfire Oracle

Loc: La Grange, TX
We used to be told that if after a 22 minute timed match, prone for example, if you could feel anything in your hand you were not snug enough in the sling.

I always questioned that. And come to find out AMU has been teaching, along with NRA IIRC, that you only need be tested in the sling, IE if you have enough tension a coach can bump and shove you all around and you and the rifle move as one.... for us, that often meant that there is more sling tension that most think needed that are upcoming shooters, but no for us with the right glove, the hand doesnt have to fall asleep after a few shots.

Without a handstop, I don't see how I could shoot a sling without a glove and some really good rubber and or some shooters sticky too. ANd yes, you don't have any tension in the support hand or arm ever basically. If you get to where you think you are good, then stop right there, and think... TOTALLY relax, if you move at all as you TOTALLY relax, you still were not right... not quite.

best of luck!
May the road rise to meet you, May the wind be always at your back, May the sun shine warm upon your face, The rains fall soft upon your fields and, Until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

#7290072 - 01/09/13 11:55 AM Re: Any shooting glove recommendations for 3 and 4-position smallbore shooting? [Re: bberg7794]
BarryC Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Shooting a sporter like that I would definitely emphasize sticky. If the glove isn't sticky, you may want to try some spray tac.

The problem is, as the string of fire goes on, your hand slides down the fore end, breaking down your position.

- Theodore Dalrymple

#7290124 - 01/09/13 12:08 PM Re: Any shooting glove recommendations for 3 and 4-position smallbore shooting? [Re: BarryC]
rost495 Online   content
Campfire Oracle

Barry arent you one that posted too, handing ammo or pencils with your gloved hand? Care to expound, I asked above someone else the same.

Once my support arm is set in place, the last thing I want is to move it to grab ammo, adjust sights, mark a data book or such?
May the road rise to meet you, May the wind be always at your back, May the sun shine warm upon your face, The rains fall soft upon your fields and, Until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

#7292859 - 01/10/13 04:14 AM Re: Any shooting glove recommendations for 3 and 4-position smallbore shooting? [Re: rost495]
Triggernosis Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Eastern N.C.
Originally Posted By: rost495
Originally Posted By: Triggernosis
Brian,
I've tried them all, open-finger, closed finger, high-dollar Sauer mitt, cheap mitt, mitt over a glove....all of them, and have settled on an open-finger Champion's Choice glove with the black "pebbly" grip. It's cheaper than the Anschutz's and even the Creedmoor, but is better built in my opinion.
Unlike Rost, I DO handle pencils, sling adjustments, everything, with my support hand quite often. You couldn't put me in a full-fingered glove for anything!

SOrry to be OT here, but question the use of the support hand, By that I mean I shoot right handed but my left is my basic support. How do you sling up and still use same slung up hand to write, handle ammo, move sights and such? Just curious or either we have a technical jargon confusion as to what the support hand is and what the firing hand is. And I may be the one wrong on the terms fwiw.

Jeff

Jeff, I don't mean I'm doing those things while I'm actually in the process of looking through the sights and trying to shoot. I mean using the support hand on occasion during a string of fire, let's say during the offhand portion at 200 yards. Fire a shot, then set the rifle down, maybe make an adjustment or re-ajust my cap and left-eye blinder that requires both hands , etc.....seems that everytime I put on a full glove on my support hand, I need a fingertip for something somewhere.....

#7292875 - 01/10/13 04:27 AM Re: Any shooting glove recommendations for 3 and 4-position smallbore shooting? [Re: rost495]
Triggernosis Offline
Campfire Regular

We used to be told that if after a 22 minute timed match, prone for example, if you could feel anything in your hand you were not snug enough in the sling.

I always questioned that.
I agree fully. Trouble is, my hand falls asleep and/or hurts simply from the twisted-up position I put my arm/wrist/shoulder in to get proper support. To quite MGYSGT Ken Roxburg "Number 3 is the key", #3 being extension and inversion of the support elbow....that inversion part plays hell on my rotator cuff and wrist...but it works

#7293012 - 01/10/13 05:28 AM Re: Any shooting glove recommendations for 3 and 4-position smallbore shooting? [Re: Triggernosis]
rost495 Online   content
Campfire Oracle

Brian,
I've tried them all, open-finger, closed finger, high-dollar Sauer mitt, cheap mitt, mitt over a glove....all of them, and have settled on an open-finger Champion's Choice glove with the black "pebbly" grip. It's cheaper than the Anschutz's and even the Creedmoor, but is better built in my opinion.
Unlike Rost, I DO handle pencils, sling adjustments, everything, with my support hand quite often. You couldn't put me in a full-fingered glove for anything!

SOrry to be OT here, but question the use of the support hand, By that I mean I shoot right handed but my left is my basic support. How do you sling up and still use same slung up hand to write, handle ammo, move sights and such? Just curious or either we have a technical jargon confusion as to what the support hand is and what the firing hand is. And I may be the one wrong on the terms fwiw.

Jeff

Jeff, I don't mean I'm doing those things while I'm actually in the process of looking through the sights and trying to shoot. I mean using the support hand on occasion during a string of fire, let's say during the offhand portion at 200 yards. Fire a shot, then set the rifle down, maybe make an adjustment or re-ajust my cap and left-eye blinder that requires both hands , etc.....seems that everytime I put on a full glove on my support hand, I need a fingertip for something somewhere.....

Got it. Wasn't quite figuring it out. Thanks, Jeff

#7293600 - 01/10/13 08:04 AM Re: Any shooting glove recommendations for 3 and 4-position smallbore shooting? [Re: rost495]
bberg7794 Offline

Loc: St Lawrence Valley, NY
Thanks a lot for the input.

It looks like people have different preferences, like chocolate vs. vanilla. A moderately priced fingerless glove holds the most appeal for me at this time and this is what I am going to try. Hopefully my scores will let me know how it is working.

I guess I use a snug, not tight, sling so I haven't experienced hand discomfort from the sling. I do experience some discomfort in my upper arm (falling asleep) at the other end of the sling. The sling I am using is a cotton M-14 type and is probably more comfortable on the hand than a stiff, leather sling.

"ANd yes, you don't have any tension in the support hand or arm ever basically. If you get to where you think you are good, then stop right there, and think... TOTALLY relax, if you move at all as you TOTALLY relax, you still were not right... not quite." Rost495-I try to relax my support arm and hand as much as possible when I remember to do so. Often by the time offhand rolls around, I am sometimes forgetting to maintain shooting discipline and probably also forgetting to relax. Repetition, repetition, repetition...

"Shooting a sporter like that I would definitely emphasize sticky. If the glove isn't sticky, you may want to try some spray tac. The problem is, as the string of fire goes on, your hand slides down the fore end, breaking down your position." Barry, I haven't noticed my hand wanting to slide so far. Maybe if I shot in hot weather??

#7293623 - 01/10/13 08:08 AM Re: Any shooting glove recommendations for 3 and 4-position smallbore shooting? [Re: bberg7794]
rost495 Online   content
Campfire Oracle

I'd think it more possible to slide in cold weather personally, but you are doing something right if its not sliding.

As to sling comfort IMHO a stiff wider leather sling is more comfortable than one like the cotton one thats skinny and conforms to your hand more, because it can cut deeper and have more contact, the stiffer wider one seems, at least for me, to spread that tension out over a wider area for some reaons.

As to repetition, yes, but correct repetition must bue used. And you have to consider both relaxed AND NPA, at least I do, a number of times during even a slow fire string. And twice during a rapid.

As to snug vs tight, the only thing you need see, is the test I mentioned we use when coaching. IF the rifle is one with you, you are fine. If not, then it needs to be snugger.

#7309360 - 01/13/13 06:12 PM Re: Any shooting glove recommendations for 3 and 4-position smallbore shooting? [Re: rost495]
Triggernosis Offline
Campfire Regular

FWIW, 3M Super 77 adhesive spray makes wonderful tack. Spray it on both the glove and the stock the day before and you will not slip, ever.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for HUGE SAVINGS on 2013 McKINLEYS from CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
433 registered (01Foreman400, 1olddog, 10ring1, 257heaven, 1lesfox, 21, 49 invisible), 1009 Guests and 301 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50202 Members
72 Forums
628262 Topics
9006287 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.