CLICK HERE for $200 INSTANT SAVING - ANSWER THE CHALLENGE!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7313180 - 01/14/13 05:03 PM Does anybody else consider this?
Tanner Online   content
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: High Country Colorado
I'm just doing a bit of thinking here, which usually doesn't end up well, but bear with me.

When shooting plates/paper/rocks/whatever during practice, does anybody else like to look at their "distance from POA" as well as or instead of actual group size? Groups are as important to me as the next guy, but lately I've been focusing hard on keeping all of my shots as close to center as possible (which in theory should create sweet groups, too). For instance, if I'm shooting a 10" plate at 600 yards, and all of my shots are 3.5" from my POA, I could potentially have a 7" group, but the shots are still very tight to my intended point of aim, and would result in some good stuff happening on game...

Anybody else have thoughts on that?

#7313228 - 01/14/13 05:12 PM Re: Does anybody else consider this? [Re: Tanner]
Jordan Smith Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Calgary, AB, Canada
Getting hits on your intended target, as always, is the point. Whether that be a 12" vital zone, a 3" varmint, or a 10" plate wink

A 0.1MOA group means little if it's 6" to the right of what you're hoping to hit...

#7313269 - 01/14/13 05:19 PM Re: Does anybody else consider this? [Re: Tanner]
338Norma Offline

POA / POI is all I look at. I only look at groups for Comps. and load development and check it once in a while. Other than that I want to see how close to the center of the plate I can hit. For long range hunting my practice at the range is done for the most part with one shot my first cold bore. Its the only one that counts.
Each rifle gets tracked for 1st round. One of mine always drops the first (Cold Bore) 1/2 MOA low and therefore gets a half added.

#7313315 - 01/14/13 05:30 PM Re: Does anybody else consider this? [Re: Jordan Smith]
Tanner Online   content
Campfire Outfitter

I suppose what I should've asked is if anyone keeps track of how close to center their successive shots are. That's what I've been looking at lately.

#7313489 - 01/14/13 06:03 PM Re: Does anybody else consider this? [Re: Tanner]
MojoHand Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Down at the crossroads...
Tanner,

I have gone more toward the 'sniper/tactical' route than the 'benchrest' idea lately. No, I'm not a tacticool wannabe, but what I mean by that is instead of small/impressive groups I shoot for POA/POI intersection, especially from cold bore.

Now of course BR guys got to hit the X ring as well but you know what I mean...which is exactly what your thinking about and what Jordan pointed out, that is, consistency is good but accuracy is great. Far more important in hunting and plate shooting than small groups.

My .02

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...

#7313515 - 01/14/13 06:08 PM Re: Does anybody else consider this? [Re: MojoHand]
MojoHand Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Down at the crossroads...
For a good example, I would love to participate in these new 'tactical' shoots where you have timed events that require you to move with your weapon and be able to hit various sized targets at UKD in real world conditions with no sighter shots.

I think that kind of comp would be a blast and would interest me very much. In such a competition you could see the importance of 'accuracy' over 'precision'.

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...

#7313972 - 01/14/13 07:28 PM Re: Does anybody else consider this? [Re: MojoHand]
Tanner Online   content
Campfire Outfitter

Mojo,

What you said about 'accuracy' vs. precision is perfect. I like the thought of putting 3 in the mag, setting up prone over a pack and lightweight rear bag, and putting 3 shots close to center in a timely fashion. That spells accuracy to me, and you just can't beat it for hunting situations...

This is a pretty cool little video of a Tac Match, if you're interested. I'd really like to try one of these.

http://tacticalmatches.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6044

Seems like most of those guys are running some sort of 6mm...

#7314236 - 01/14/13 08:21 PM Re: Does anybody else consider this? [Re: Tanner]
805 Online   content
Campfire Regular

Loc: CA
Tanner
I am actually starting to do the same thing. Group size is nice when trying to fine tune the load at longer range. Once that is developed its all about first shot hits and how close to center.

A nice trigger helps that huh!

#7314645 - 01/15/13 01:52 AM Re: Does anybody else consider this? [Re: 805]
JasonF Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Australia
Precision builds confidence, but accuracy fills the freezer.

#7315002 - 01/15/13 05:53 AM Re: Does anybody else consider this? [Re: Tanner]
Take_a_knee Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted By: Tanner

When shooting plates/paper/rocks/whatever during practice, does anybody else like to look at their "distance from POA" as well as or instead of actual group size?

Yes, its called learning to read wind.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for HUGE SAVINGS on SWAROVSKI OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
586 registered (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 224th, 1OntarioJim, 13red56, 62 invisible), 1550 Guests and 331 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50166 Members
72 Forums
627687 Topics
8996753 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.