NIKON PROSTAFF - 480 CLICKS OF CAN-DO!

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#7268738 - 01/05/13 Re: Mule Deer's Article on Powder Measuring [Re: Take_a_knee]
selmer Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Upper Midwest
I read the article, enjoyed it, agreed with it based on my experience, and then got the itch for a Redding BR3 measure. I've got (had) an old Belding & Mull with two drop tubes on the bench along with a Lyman #55 on the bench. The B&M is the most accurate measure I've used with extruded powders and is pretty much perfect with ball and short-cut powders. But it's slow and awkward to use and because I have a neuro-muscular condition that reduces my hand strength endurance, I just sold that measure for $110 to help pay for the Redding. I'll compare the Redding and Lyman when the green one shows up... Thanks for another great article John!

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile

RV 728 BP
#7268981 - 01/05/13 Re: Mule Deer's Article on Powder Measuring [Re: selmer]
prm Offline
Campfire Tracker

I tried to get a copy, but it wasn't at the usual store. Have to look a little harder.

#7269030 - 01/05/13 Re: Mule Deer's Article on Powder Measuring [Re: prm]
rschmelzle Online   content

Loc: Seattle
Get it online, I did. Fast, cheap and easy. You don't even have to leave the house. http://www.riflemagazine.com/subscription/subscript.cfm

#7269163 - 01/05/13 Re: Mule Deer's Article on Powder Measuring [Re: Mule Deer]
RaceTire Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: West Virginia
John,
Kinda figured after I posted I should have read the article first. Normally not that quick on the keyboard.
At this point in life since I am satisfied simply hitting a 12" steel plate at 500 yards weighing powder charges isn't a big deal. Throwin them is way easier!

Dave

#7269504 - 01/05/13 Re: Mule Deer's Article on Powder Measuring [Re: RaceTire]
Mule Deer Online   content
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Banana Belt, Montana
Dave,

Heck, if I can hit a 12" plate at 100 yards I'm happy!

"Gunwriters, as you know, aren't as informed as their readers are and if it wasn't for the readers, there would be no need for writers..."--Shrapnel, May 2015

#7270742 - 01/05/13 Re: Mule Deer's Article on Powder Measuring [Re: Mule Deer]
7x57STEVE Offline
Campfire Guide

John,

Do you know what number Lee scoop gives you 13.0 grains of Lil Gun?

Thanks,
Steve

#7270912 - 01/05/13 Re: Mule Deer's Article on Powder Measuring [Re: rifle]
djs Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Virginia
I just finished the article and it (as usual for JB) puts the issue of weighing charges into prospective. When setting up to charge cases, I weigh each charge while setting the meter and then throw 4-5 more to confirm the setting. I again weigh each tenth or so charge to confirm that nothing has changed.

I rarely load maximum charges; generally, I load lesser charges for rifle and handgun cartridges. If I want more performance, I'll shoot a larger cartridge. Reduced charges are easier on everything.

#7270920 - 01/05/13 Re: Mule Deer's Article on Powder Measuring [Re: prm]
djs Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Originally Posted By: prm
I tried to get a copy, but it wasn't at the usual store. Have to look a little harder.

or, go on-line to Wolfe Publishing Company and subscribe. It'll be the best money spent!

#7270982 - 01/05/13 Re: Mule Deer's Article on Powder Measuring [Re: djs]
FC363 Offline
Campfire Ranger

I could never understand why people check every tenth charge to make sure nothing has changed. confused

If you have kept the right amount of powder in it, used the same throwing technique, and haven't changed the setting on the measure, then why would it change? If it does come up with a different charge, are you going to dump the last 10 cases and start over?

If your charge weights are varying that much, either your throwing technique needs changed, or your measure needs upgraded.

#7271426 - 01/05/13 Re: Mule Deer's Article on Powder Measuring [Re: 7x57STEVE]
Mule Deer Online   content
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Banana Belt, Montana
Steve,

In my set it's scoop 052, the 3rd from the bottom. But I've had my scoops for at least 25 years and have no idea if they still use the same sizes and numbering system.

"Gunwriters, as you know, aren't as informed as their readers are and if it wasn't for the readers, there would be no need for writers..."--Shrapnel, May 2015

#7271502 - 01/05/13 Re: Mule Deer's Article on Powder Measuring [Re: FC363]
battue Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: outside the burgh
Originally Posted By: FC363
I could never understand why people check every tenth charge to make sure nothing has changed. confused

If you have kept the right amount of powder in it, used the same throwing technique, and haven't changed the setting on the measure, then why would it change? If it does come up with a different charge, are you going to dump the last 10 cases and start over?

If your charge weights are varying that much, either your throwing technique needs changed, or your measure needs upgraded.

Setting on mine is held in place by a lock nut. I'm always checking if I tightened it sufficiently. Weigh every 10 throws or so to confirm again in my mind that what I started with is what I really want. At the same time I take another glance at the bottle to confirm that is the powder I want. Perhaps the one you checked is the one that bridged in the tube-have had it happen. Final step is a look into each case to ensure they are all to the approximate same level in the case.

#7271503 - 01/05/13 Re: Mule Deer's Article on Powder Measuring [Re: Mule Deer]
7x57STEVE Offline
Campfire Guide

Thanks John,

I'll try it and weigh the charges.

I have a set that probably goes back to about then, plus some recent ones.

Steve

#7311564 - 01/14/13 Re: Mule Deer's Article on Powder Measuring [Re: 7x57STEVE]
Carl_Ross Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Bozeman, MT
John,

I purchased the magazine in question just for this article, and found it useful, thanks for writing it. I have been running tests with my powder measures, and asking friends with different models to do the same.

Would you mind answering a couple questions about your data? I'm using your numbers as a point of comparison but could not find in the article some of the details. Specifically regarding the powder variation numbers shown in the second table, I gather that those numbers display total variation, not +/-, correct? Is this an average, a standard deviation, or the extreme spread? Also, how many data points did you collect to determine them?

And of lesser concern, but I am still curious, did you discount throws where the extruded powder kernals were cut hard by the measure? I used to toss those ones out when loading, but in my measurements so far, they seem to fall in with everything else.

Thank you,
Carl

#7313305 - 01/15/13 Re: Mule Deer's Article on Powder Measuring [Re: scenarshooter]
djs Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Excellent article. All should read it.

#7313664 - 01/15/13 Re: Mule Deer's Article on Powder Measuring [Re: djs]
Happy Birthday Talus_in_Arizona Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: AZ
It must suck to be a gunwriter these days. First you have to submit a solid article that actually sells print magazines, then you have to double your word count re-stating same on the internet! smile

#7317137 - 01/15/13 Re: Mule Deer's Article on Powder Measuring [Re: Talus_in_Arizona]
the_shootist Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: NW Ontario, Canada
That's good, Talus. laugh
"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE to see SUPERB STEINER OPTICS!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE to see SUPERB STEINER OPTICS!
Who's Online
530 registered (204guy, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 16gauge, 17_wizzer, 62 invisible), 1080 Guests and 346 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,265 Registered Members
72 Forums
687,371 Topics
9,928,992 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.