Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Guys:

I've been to a lot of SHOT Shows and seen a lot of products touted as best this, revolutionary that, and so believe me, I am a cynic.

But, I just left the Leica reveal of their new Geovid HD B line of rangefinding binoculars, and I have to say as an optics wank, I am currently smitten. Conclusions will of course be reserved pending further review and testing, so for now, let's just stick to the press release and initial impressions:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Allendale, NJ: Leica Sports Optics announces the newest in its line of laser rangefinder binoculars, the Geovid HD-B. Truly a game-changer, the Geovid HD-B laser rangefinder binoculars once again affirms Leica�s leadership stature as a category innovator.
Considerably more evolved than its competitors, the Geovid-HD B contains advanced ballistics technology enabling users to add/create their own custom ballistics info for their specific weapon as well as class-leading ranging abilities.

The newly developed ballistic function ABC� (Advanced Ballistic Compensation) provides the proper aim point for the hunter and shooter. The Geovid HD-B�s integrated, highly precise ballistic processor can instantly gather and analyze the ballistic information with one touch of the button, giving accurate information for the correct hold over, turret adjustment or drop down reticle aiming point. When calculating the trajectory, the distance, angle, temperature and air pressure are all taken into account.

Twelve ballistic curves representing most of the trajectories of modern hunting cartridges are programmed in the system. Plus, an integrated microSD card slot, located inside the battery housing, allows the hunter to program and save personal ballistic data for his or her cartridge/rifle combination. This revolutionary option allows the hunter to input ballistic data based on his or her cartridge & rifle. Different ballistic information data sets can be saved on separate microSD cards for multiple cartridge/rifle use. The result is extremely precise and accurate ballistics information. Within only 0.2 seconds, the Leica GEOVID HD-B 42 displays all of the necessary information for an accurate shot, especially with steep inclinations and at longer distances.

The ballistic system ABC� allows for relevant data to be accessed for the various types of hunting and shooting:
� For hunters using a classical reticle in their riflescope, the Leica GEOVID HD-B 42 shows, in addition to the measured distance, the holdover in inches or centimeters.
� For hunters using ballistic reticles there is information available to display the equivalent horizontal range � as for all uses it automatically takes into consideration the angle, the temperature and the air pressure.
� Hunters who use the calibrations on the fast reticle-adjustment system for impact point correction can receive holdover in � MOA so you know how many clicks are necessary.

For more than 20 years, Leica has been renowned as the pioneer of laser range finding products. In 1992, Leica captured the hunting community�s attention with the introduction of the first commercially available laser rangefinder, the Leica 7x42 Geovid BD. Now Leica is continuing its success story by introducing the next generation of the popular Geovid laser range finder binoculars. With its fully programmable ballistics capabilities and class-leading ranging distance, the new Geovid HD-B exemplifies Leica�s drive behind the development of this category with the most versatile integrated ballistics system and greatest ranging capability of any laser rangefinding binocular on the market today.

Technical Data:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For more information on Leica Sport Optics, check out www.Leica-SportOptics.com and www.facebook.com/LeicaHunting.

OK, now initial impressions: This thing feels AWESOME in my hands!! This is the best feeling bino, for me, that I think I have ever handled. I love the split bridge concept, but none has previously nailed it for my hands like this bino. The new body profile (see pic) just seems to meld into my hand. Can't say enough about how nice this bino feels. Also, it's built like a tank. The eyepieces have really impressive operation, multiple (6 I think) very solid steps, and the contours just work together. I like the button placement for the rangefinder, and the dang thing ranges to 2000 yards (to be tested and verified) and provides reliable ballistic data out to 1000 yards.

Had to gush. I am smitten. Anybody want to buy a kid? smile

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
leica makes good sheet

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WOW! They look like the answer.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
They look the goods but do Leica have stock ready to ship or will we wait months to see them on the shelves?

Ian

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Most impressive! Time to save some lunch money!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ranger1
WOW! They look like the answer.

But what was the question?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Street price?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
have always been a fan of their range finder/binoc combo

this one seems even better and more streamlined.

have used the old big clunky ones in the field (clients binocs, that we'd swap out while glassing)

but there's something to be said for combining two tools into one.

would love to have one, but just can't justify the price.

I may have to reach into my pocket to range find, but there's an extra $1200 bucks in there when I do vs. shelling out the 3K for the Leica.

don't get me wrong, if $$ was no object or even if I were still guiding and could deduct the expense of them I'd probably have them.

but for now, I'll just be content with the technology I have.

hella cool what technology can do. hope you enjoy them Rick, good hunting to you

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I was hoping for lighter weight. Personally, 34 oz is uncomfortable to wear all day. The little 8x32's have spoiled me.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks for sharing, Rick,

Looks like another really great product from Leica.
Maybe next Christmas.......

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
shrapnel - Who is going to make a binoc/rangefinder that can do it all. The ballistic computer option is exactly what was missing from all other offerings.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hella cool is right!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Years ago, I field-tested what was then the top of Leica's optical range-finders. I found three problems, each of which gave me a drastically inaccurate "measure" of the actual distance �

� It "ranged" on a wire fence that was much closer to me than the building that I was aiming at through the fence.

� It gave me radically different distances to (a) the shiny side of a just-washed car and (b) a shrub that was right beside the car.

� On a rather even plain, it ranged on a somewhat larger object that was far beyond the rather small closer object that I was aiming at.

Triangulation is still far superior to reflection as a way to "measure" distance. The "accuracy" of the modern electronics is often an illusion.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One test that my stroke and rehab aborted was five large panels � black, white, blue, green, and red � all with the same reflectivity, all at the same distance.

Never assume that manufacturers' advertised claims are accurate! Some times, they are. Some times, they aren't. Check 'em!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I suppose we are looking at $2995?

Last edited by bigwhoop; 01/15/13.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Can anybody confirm something on the angle comp for me? I was told the angle comp on the 1600B's only works BEYOND 100 yards. Are these new RF binos the same?

Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ctsmith
I was hoping for lighter weight. Personally, 34 oz is uncomfortable to wear all day. The little 8x32's have spoiled me.

get a bino harness you forget you have them on. been toting geovids for years in the mountains with no issue. noticed the eye relief spec is 20mm if correct this is more than the current geovids and also even more than the 8x models which is unusual. especially since they are claiming a larger FOV

S
S
Hi guys, I work for Leica and am here at SHOT. BTW, thanks for a great mention Rick! Everyone who visits our booth picks these up thinks they're LIGHTER, not 2oz heavier, than the current Geovids. Mr Howell, I'm sorry your experience was so lackluster with our early Geovids. I can only assure you that today, things are different. As far as accuracy goes, these are accurate to +/-1y @ 550y, 2y @ 1100, .5% of distance measured after that. As far as ranging a fence rather than what is beyond it, that would be possible in some situations, mainly with our (much) older products that measured based on the first return of the laser the sensor received. Now we use a multi-gated return that takes 100s of measurements to give one distance. Too much to fully explain here, but it keeps the system from being spoofed. Our lasers are accurate, durable, and reliable enough today that they're being asked for by name and used in combat by some of the most elite units in the military, and we neither build for, nor market to them. Please excuse any typos. It was a long day at SHOT and I'm using an iPad. If anyone here has specific questions about this or any Leica product, feel free to contact me.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
While a testiment to engineering, there just seems to be too much potential for something to go haywire. I suppose the next model will be able to send text messages and check the stock reports. Time will tell how the public repsonds in this recessionary market. Again, pretty awesome electronics and engineering but maybe they have reached a tipping point for the consumer.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I like what I see. Seems a very nice piece of gear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

202 members (1_deuce, 1minute, 264mag, 17CalFan, 270cowboy, 1badf350, 29 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,066
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.