-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Huntsman, all four elk were dead -- they just didn't know it yet.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I once shot a perfectly broadside 4x5 Bull four times @ maybe 80 yards with a 160 grain Partition that did 3090 fps out of the barrel. He was standing still and unaware of my presence, I was sitting and well rested.

The first three were lung shots -- right behind the shoulder --- the Elk showed zero reaction but did not move a step. I put the 4th round thru his shoulder and that tipped him over.

I once shot a Spike with a 308 -- 180 grain CoreLock @ maybe 50 yards as he crossed an opening on the run. He never missed a step. My buddy was sure I'd missed. I followed the tracks at least 100 yards downhill -- no blood. I finally saw him, dead, on a little rise leaned up against a Pine tree. I had shot him right thru the heart; destroying it.

Hey out of all these posts no one ever gave you a good elk heart recipe. Here is our favorite.
1 Elk heart or two deer/antelope hearts
Boil the heart for about an hour then cut into bite sized pieces
in a roaster combine:
Fresh vegies or 1 can of vegall
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 1/2 cups of long grain wild rice
Fresh mushrooms sliced or a can of mushroom slices
enough moisture (milk or water or combo) according to rice directions. I usually use 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of water. Make sure all ingredients are mixed well and mix 1/2 way through oven baking. Season to your liking, salt pepper etc...
Cook in 350 degree oven for an hour or until rice is tender. Yummy

Last edited by Wonderwoman; 01/15/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by castnblast
I killed a young bull this year with a .375 H & H. Put a nosler partition into the oncoming shoulder at about 120 yards as he was quartering towards me. He took off running like nothing happened but a big noise. I shot at him running broadside and broke his back about midway and dropped him. On butchering him later I found that the first bullet had hit the point of the humerus, shattered the entire scapula into pieces about the size of a quarter, then deflected and exited out the same side it went in. Only a few tiny bits and pieces of bone and bullet made it into the near side lung. If i had not connected on the running shot I probably would have lost that elk. So sometimes a big bullet from a more than adequate caliber doesn't do the job. But it's just bad luck, not anything wrong with the rifle, the shot, the bullet, or the situation. [bleep] happens. The ability to hit running elk does come in handy sometimes.

I'm glad you shared that. I had a 180 grain Remington Corelok from a .300 Win Mag blow up on a 5 point bull's shoulder about 12 years ago. No opportunity for follow up shot as he ran off with 120 others. I was hunting on a private 30,000 acre ranch and he stuck around and someone got him second season. Wound had nearly healed- he was limping from the broken leg, but feeding and healthy. I have cursed Coreloks (and heard 50 similar corelok failure stories) ever since. Interesting to hear it can happen with a top notch bullet too.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 53 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,277
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.