Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I had a hankering for a micro action chambered for something that would be a little more than the usual suspects and had been increasingly interested in the 6.5 Grendel but thought that there was still a little left on the table as far as capabilities went with the Grendel cartridge. I bought a packet of Grendel ammo and had a couple of 7.62x39 cartridges and wondered what whould happen if the shoulder was pushed forward and it was loaded longer than the Grendel which is hald to its factory COAL because it was designed primarily for the A R platform and consequently loaded to a presure limit that would not be required with a bolt rifle. I had a set of Forster Grendel FLS dies sent over and by putting a .05 spacer die on the shell holder was able to hydroform a case to what I found would give considerable more capacity especially if the 123gn A Max was seated out to a 2.405 OAL rather than the 2.250 of the Hornady round.

Hornady Grendel on left and my Grendel Max on the right

[Linked Image]

In looking for an action I came across an Interarms mini mauser action bare for about NZ$80 (US$65) and because of my reduced circumstances intended for this to be a minimal cost project. I Cut the back of the magazine and ground out the rear of the mag recess abutment and made a temporu rear mag extension to see if it would all work and instead of running the rear wall of the magazine up past the abutment I ground a housing in the bottom so it would form a continuous face up the back wall and up the face of the abutment and was able to get 2.475 internal length so my projected COAL looked to be a workable length. This length was arrived at with the A Max which would be the primary bullet was loaded with the start of the boat tail at the base of the neck so the next thing was to draw up a reamer print (that would give me a 25 thou jump at my desired OAL) and get it away to Mansons. A light Sako profile 6.5 x 8 twist barrel was ordered from TSE in Australia, and at chambering was cut to 21 inches.
The bolt handle was a typical Mark X handle that is really too short with a knob that is too small for easy manipulation so I cut it off and used a piece of 7/8 bolt that I D&T to take a 1/4 in thread, which I then put in an battery drill and held against a belt linisher to bring it to a suitable shape.

Action as received

[Linked Image]

Bolt handle
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

From this I expected everything would work as planned.
[img]http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/Grendel%20-Grendel%20Max/0102.jpg[/img]

Keeping in mind that this was to be a low cost rifle I decided to make my own laminate stock rather than using w walnut blank as I had for previous rifles so I started with a 16mm central core and planedit down from the action forward to the forend tip and from the actiondown through the pistol grip because I wanted tha main shaping done on the core piece so that the outer thinner laminates would be full length and therefore stronger than the usual way where they are cut through as the shaping is done from the outside toward the centre. The added bonus is that the pattern is cut on the central core and the action can be layed on and the exact outline of the inletting can be marked and cut out with just a sliver left at top and bottom to hole the forend to the wrist and butstock while the remaining laminates are glued on. I used Beech for this as it is very light and very tough, at least the NZ beech is.
[img]http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/Grendel%20-Grendel%20Max/005-2.jpg[/img]

I made a smoker for the inletting as I had always used inletting black before but a little used lantern offered a handly wick assembly and after pop riviting a cvouple of tabs on a suitable old tobacco tin had a smoker that could still do service in the lantern housing if and when needed.
[img]http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/Grendel%20-Grendel%20Max/011.jpg[/img]

After a bit more work I had a lovley light little rifle that even with the Warne steel bases and rings with the Nikon 4.5-14 scope still weighed in at 6 lb 12oz and with the mini supressor stopped the scales at 7 lb 6oz

Last edited by VonGruff; 01/22/13.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So then it came time to do some testing and with CFE 223 and the A Max's I did my 200 yd ladder testing with this result.

[Linked Image]

It seems I had loaded the no 10 shot at 31.4 rather than 32.4 going by the results but It was enough to set the paremeters for the next session
[Linked Image]

After another trial session I settled on 32.6 gn for an even 2700fps and while the wind was starting to effect the second shot string it is certainly more than encouraging for a light rifle. The velocity gain over the AR Grendel loading has made this a worthwhile project.

[Linked Image]

So for a minimal cost of NZ$1562 (US$1312) including the supressor (although I did have the Nikon on the shelf) I have got myself a light hill rifle that will perform up to and exceding what hoped for. I have also had a cast bullet mould made by Veral at LBT and will hope to get that into the 2300fps + range for inside 200 yds on the goats etc and a realy cheap plinking round. Had the mould made so that with the same seating stem setting I can go from the cast bullet to the A Max with out adjustment so have a very versatile and uncomplicated little cartridge for a wide range of aplications. With the New SST released to have the same shape and BC of the A max but with an inproved 'on game performance' then this is also a realistic 500 yd medium game round with the rifles ability to get it to the right place

Grendel beside a 127gn cast bullet in a Lapua 7.62x39 case necked to 6.5 and ready for fireforming, and the 123gn A Max in a Hornady Grendel fireformed case..

[Linked Image]

And I may just have to change my sig line

Von Gruff.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This is the reamer print I drew up and it should be on file at Mansons. I made up a cartridge and the GS used the "just kiss it with the bolt to HS the barrel.

[Linked Image]

Von Gruff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice! Thanks for taking the time to post pics and providing the info. Really like the stock shaping.......

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Nice story... But I'd like to see pics of the complete rifle.... smile Please.... grin

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for posting this. Very elegant lines to the stock.
And I love the bolt handle. Well done.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Von Gruff, you are driving up the market on mini-mausers...:)

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice work VonGruff cool
I think you should call it the "VonGruff-Grendel" smile

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A 123 6.5mm bullet at 2700 with 32 grains of powder is very attractive -

Thanks for posting.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Very cool, thanks for putting in the effort to share the project with us GRF

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WOW, cool pics and thanks for sharing!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bridging the gap between the LBC-AR and the 47 Lapua, in lieu of a 6.5BR. I believe a BR would give you 2800, not a big difference, though a good choice for a 308 faced bolt.

The BR may not even work in that X action, but you prob have a repeater that feeds fine w/OEM parts for the 7.62.

Very nice work, well thought out, and surely all you expected and need.

A mild 6.5 like this will prob do the killing for 90% of hunting around the world w/good bullets and placement, and to modest ranges.

Enjoy!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very Nice Rig cool cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Very Very awesome!!!

I have been dreaming of a Grendel bolt action for some time now. Please tell me your going to smack some feral sheep and maybe some red deer with that thing????

Better post pics!!!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Goats are more the target species for this rifle and my freezer fillers. This is what and where I usually go for them although 21 is a larger than normal "bag".
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5621043/m/2801043151

Von Gruff.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Nice to see you've been busy putting your talents to another worthy project. Well done!

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Cool story about the goats

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (01Foreman400, 1936M71, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,876
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.