Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Con
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
It's interesting to me that of the two British gun terms, Magnum and Express, only magnum was successful over here

True. I suppose originally both may have stood for something that offered prestige, like a Magnum bottle and an Express train ... perhaps Express is the new name wildcatters should adopt just to bring it back?? grin
Cheers...
Con

We can only hope...

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Con
It's interesting to me that of the two British gun terms, Magnum and Express, only magnum was successful over here

True. I suppose originally both may have stood for something that offered prestige, like a Magnum bottle and an Express train ... perhaps Express is the new name wildcatters should adopt just to bring it back?? grin
Cheers...
Con

We can only hope...

Maybe we could break with the tradition of placing the word at the end, place it in the front, and used "Big-Assed", as in "Big-Assed 7MM". This would probably hold a certain appeal to many.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Con

Cheers...
Con

We can only hope...

Maybe we could break with the tradition of placing the word at the end, place it in the front, and used "Big-Assed", as in "Big-Assed 7MM". This would probably hold a certain appeal to many.

That name would appeal to a niche market of men

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Has it been pointed out that Ken Waters liked to use "Express" for his wildcats?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Excellent observation!

I tend to prefer a B-prefix for my wildcats, whether real or imaginary.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Excellent observation!

I tend to prefer a B-prefix for my wildcats, whether real or imaginary.

Well I couldn't help wonderIF ....

the B S had dual application?? grin whistle

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Magnum starts on and in conjunction with the curve of diminished return.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

Just a little DIFFERENT take on that.

I agree that with 'some' you don't get much more.

However, IMO, I feel there are some mags that give an appreciable INCREASE for a reasonable amount of 'more' powder.

IMO - IMO - IMO - IMO.

The 7 Rm gives an appreciable increase 'over' the 280 R - both using handloads NOT factory ammo.
Only 1 ex. - 66-68 grs (depending on gun) in 7 M - 139 HBTSP = 3300 fps @. That from a 'bunch' of 7 Mags.
COMPARE - 62-64 grs in 270/280 - 130/139 = 3100 fps.

******That is @ 4 grs FOR 200 fps increase***** 24" mag--22" std.
I have DONE THAT on many occasions.

Also the 300 WM give a very noticeable increase over the 06 with the ***180 OR 200 grainers****

In several 300 WMs I have/had --73 grs w/180 = 3100fps OR MORE.

***All this info uses OLD reliable powders NOT some of the newer ones. I do NOT comment on powders/bullets I have NOT used.***

IMO, it just depends on WHAT anyone feels is a justified gain -- for whatever 'more' powder is used.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Maybe it's a whole lot simpler than all this. Seems to me that when you shoot them side by side a standard cartridge goes CRACK!!!! and a magnum is more of a BOOM!!! Of course I could be wrong...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

Just a little DIFFERENT take on that.

I agree that with 'some' you don't get much more.

However, IMO, I feel there are some mags that give an appreciable INCREASE for a reasonable amount of 'more' powder.

IMO - IMO - IMO - IMO.

The 7 Rm gives an appreciable increase 'over' the 280 R - both using handloads NOT factory ammo.
Only 1 ex. - 66-68 grs (depending on gun) in 7 M - 139 HBTSP = 3300 fps @. That from a 'bunch' of 7 Mags.
COMPARE - 62-64 grs in 270/280 - 130/139 = 3100 fps.

******That is @ 4 grs FOR 200 fps increase***** 24" mag--22" std.
I have DONE THAT on many occasions.

Also the 300 WM give a very noticeable increase over the 06 with the ***180 OR 200 grainers****

In several 300 WMs I have/had --73 grs w/180 = 3100fps OR MORE.

***All this info uses OLD reliable powders NOT some of the newer ones. I do NOT comment on powders/bullets I have NOT used.***

IMO, it just depends on WHAT anyone feels is a justified gain -- for whatever 'more' powder is used.

jwall,

How much flatter does a 7mm 139gr BTSP fly at 3300 fps over 3100?

What powders did you use in both calibers to obtain these speeds?

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

jwall,

How much flatter does a 7mm 139gr BTSP fly at 3300 fps over 3100?

What powders did you use in both calibers to obtain these speeds?

Big Redhead:

First w/o looking I can't tell the exact diff in trajectory >> but I know it is NOT a great diff. But the added vel increases the momentum and energy.

Second, in the 7 RM, I & others, used IMR 4350.
>>> slower powders will give a little V more WITH a little more powder.<<
.....in the 270/280 we used 'SURPLUS' 4831 (NOT H 4831); WHEN that was gone I switched to IMR 7828.

---

In the 300 WM (at least 4 or 5, Ruger 77, B B R, Rem 700, Win 70)
I STILL use IMR 4350.

IMR 4350 gives pretty good vel PER amount used. I knew what I wanted when I started loading the mags. That was/is ECONOMY, the least powder for the most speed.

Slower burning powders WILL give a little more vel at a little more powder used.

I have to go now. I'll get back a little later. Maybe something else I need to add.

Last edited by jwall; 01/29/13.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to have a .350 Remington magnum. It kicked like a magnum but the numbers just weren't there.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
RichardAustin,

Your "Magnum starts on and in conjunction with the curve of diminished return" is interesting--except that in powder-burning rifle cartridges diminished return in bullet energy for the powder burned starts immediately above the .22 Short.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
MM -

What was the bll length of the 350 RM? Some had rather short blls for a mag.

I've never had/loaded a 350 RM and would have to look at the loading manuals for powder charges.

I/We have been told the 35 Whelen gave very similar performance to the 350 RM.

The AMOUNT of powder directly affects the recoil. It's NOT the only thing but it's part of the equation.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Big Redhead -

The reasons I'm still using IMR 4350 & IMR 7828 are:

1. In the 90s WHEN the price of powders reached 15-16 $ /pound.... I < STOCKED > up. smile I still have several lbs of each.

2. THEY WORK grin also in the South we don't have the EXTREME cold of the Northern States, Canada,or Ak. so there is no excessive drop in vel.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Both are still excellent powders, too!

I've had a couple of .350 Remington Magnums, both with 22" barrels, a Remington 700 Classic and a Ruger 77 Mark II. The .35 Whelens I've owned also had 22" barrels. Velocities were very similar from both rounds, and I never could tell any difference in recoil--but neither of the .350's were super-light carbines. Instesd they were full-sized rifles, weighing at least 8 pounds with scope.

The .350 (and the .35 Whelen) do come back some, especially with 250-grain bullets loaded up around 2600, but they can't be called really hard kickers. Though I do tend to shoot some larger rounds than most people do!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
MM -

What was the bll length of the 350 RM? Some had rather short blls for a mag.

I've never had/loaded a 350 RM and would have to look at the loading manuals for powder charges.

I/We have been told the 35 Whelen gave very similar performance to the 350 RM.

The AMOUNT of powder directly affects the recoil. It's NOT the only thing but it's part of the equation.

22"

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Hard to put into words, you just know one when you see it.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If snot flies when you pull the trigger it's a magnum. No, more appropriately, if the snot stays stationary while your head flies backward it's a magnum.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Actually, I'd guess that most rifle loonies wouldn't even know about "magnum" bottles of wine if they hadn't read an article by some gun writer mentioning them while writing about magnum cartridges. We're probably the only people who keep the wine term alive.

I recall reading many, many years ago (perhaps by JOC) that the British named Magnum cartridges after a larger-than-normal bottle of champagne, and that they named Express cartridges after a faster-than-normal train. That's still how I think of them today.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (1eyedmule, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 28 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,079
Posts18,501,608
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.