Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
nhFrank Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was at the shop yesterday picking up a new rifle, and what do I see, and Ruger singile action chambered in 30 carbine peril handle`s pre garbage eara , asking price 850.00 .Dose that sound like a far price

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by nhFrank
I was at the shop yesterday picking up a new rifle, and what do I see, and Ruger singile action chambered in 30 carbine peril handle`s pre garbage eara , asking price 850.00 .Dose that sound like a far price
Not sure. Could be. Certainly if you must have one, and can't find it for less.

I remember, back in the 1980s, a guy at the range I used to shoot at had one. Really cracked loud when he shot it. Big flash, too. Not sure .30 Carbine gets enough velocity from a revolver to justify all that. Then there's the fact that ammo isn't quite as available for it as back then.

PS There's one for sale at Guns America, new and in the box, for $475.00. Shipping is $25.00.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Older Brother had a 3 scerw 30 carbine years ago.

Hawkeye is right about the loud crack! that's why my Brother traded his off.

If you're going to hand load it down a bit, it would be more fun to shoot.

Or, wear good earmuffs, which we all should do anyway.

Always thought this would be a fun gun, loaded to about 32 H&R speeds.

Virgil B.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
It bet there was lots of surplus ammo available for it when Ruger first came out with it in the 1960s. Otherwise, I can't see the justification.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can see the "justification" ...

I've wanted a Ruger SA Revolver, 30 Carbine for a long time, and moreso now after having acquired two M1 Carbine rifles (Khar/Auto Ordinance.)

I also like having handguns in various calibers just for the sake of having them.
If the ammo is more expensive and difficult to obtain for these firearms - I just shoot them more sparingly and still enjoy it while taking along some more economical 9MM handguns as well.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The idea was like all carbine chambered revolvers,
two guns one ammo
I'm still doing the same in 5.7 X 28

I always drooled over the Ruger 30 and M1 carbine combo, until more research explained how difficult it was to get either or both to shoot accurately. No one has seemed to find the right load that will work in both.
Ruger didn't make them long for a reason.

But they are interesting guns none the less

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is this a 3 screw (Old Model) or a New Model? Not certain what you mean by "pre-garbage". If it's a New Model, it's way too high..if it's an Old Model, it needs to be a low sn with box and all the goodies to be worth that...and then still high in my opinion. I know where there is one in a gun shop (Old Model) in box in really good shape for $600. It's a late gun and that's probably all it's worth. I have an OM and they're fun.

nhFrank Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ya I understand the short barrel problem and not getting a full burn .I liked it just because it is diferant and a really nice looking pistol, but it was kinda pricey . I also was thinking the one caliber rifle and pistol combo and possibly it was more a Korean eara set

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't pay that much for one. I had one that was a pretty good shooter with handloads. The speer half jackets shot pretty good. My plan was to use it for coyotes and such, but I never got around to it and eventually sold it off in an effort to simplify my reloading life.

Tom

Regards,

Tom
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...the guy has to be kidding. Just saw a mint NM locally for $450.00 and they rarely sell for over that on GunBroker.

I have two, one OM an one NM. They are excellent shooters. Very accurate and mild recoil...but as some have said...loud....

Don't know if everyone has this problem but the front sight on both of mine is way too low. I had the too low one on the OM replaced with a Patridge and now the rear sight can be adjusted to be spot on.

Reloaded with a 90 grain Hornady XTP bullet really gives the .30 Carbine load some expansion....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
nhFrank,

Friend of mine had one of these, was one of those guys who never sells a gun... he sold it, claimed it was too loud! Of course I couldn't listen to his wisdom, Had to have one, sold mine after I took it hunting (ground Squirrels)... quit hunting first day out after exactly three rounds... it was so Damn loud it actually hurt!!!

"Always thought this would be a fun gun, loaded to about 32 H&R speeds." Bingo, had a couple of .32 mag's, pleasant round to shoot and hunt with, load them down to cat sneeze or rip roaring... better yet it is available (used) for around $450 or so and is on the smallish Single six frame.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
nhFrank Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
ya way to much money for that pistol he musta been smokeing rope for lunch

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
$850 is a bit steep for my area. They are fun revolvers though, and well worth having.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is the loudest pistol i have owned and shot. Nice pistol, but only deaf people use them .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"..quit hunting first day out after exactly three rounds... it was so Damn loud it actually hurt!!!"

Hurt bad! Worst thing I ever fired, felt like two ice picks had been driven deeply through my ears and into my skull. I stopped that after ONE shot and suspect that one has accounted for most of the hearing loss I've suffered since. That kind of pain and loss is too much to pay for a handgun that has no particular use and isn't especially accurate anyway. There are valid reasons that thing rapidly disappeared from the market!

Sure, you could load it down to reduce that high pressure muzzle blast. But then you'd only have a .32 special with light bullets so what would be the point?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had one as well. It required ear plugs and muffs. This from a guy with hearing aids. Mine was much cheaper even accounting for the difference in time. Still and all it was fun, even with my front sight problems, too.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by nhFrank
The last one I had brought about $300-350, IIRC. It was very near mint condition with no box. That was maybe six years back.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The idea of a handgun having the same chambering as a rifle has always had some merit. The .30 carbine ammo was dirt cheap and available everywhere in the '60's and '70's. I think that having the handgun/ carbine combo in .30 Carbine looked better on paper than it worked out in actual practice.

Previously XLTFX4 on this site.
Life member NYSRPA.
Endowment Life member NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
no it isn't worth 500.00 unless you are just collecting

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had an old model years ago in 30 carbine and I have to agree with others... that thing was LOUD! Doubling up on muffs and plugs calmed it down and it was really fun to shoot and very accurate. Late in the afternoon the fireball from the bore was impressive! I never tried it, but I would imagine that a different powder in a hand load would calm the beast and make a fun gun out of it.

Harry
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,258
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.