Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
If m memory serves me correctly, I think, min velocity for the TSX was 2000fps & I think, 1500ish for the TTSX.

Guesing that if you know & understand the ballistics of your individual load, that you could transpire that info & know at what distance you could expect reliable expansion.

Paul.

Although I've never back calculated it, I"m pretty sure that a 338 Win mag with 225s by the time it gets to 800 yards is below those parameters yet both rounds I fired in an example of 2 only, both expanded and that was OLD X bullets

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Is it they are so accurate in your respective rifles,
Yes, they are the most accurate out of my Tikka, and that was the reason I used them on three deer in Canada.

A mule deer stumbled backwards and bolted into nearby brush, but he was dead a few yards into the brush. The exit was tiny but total devastation internally.

I hit a whitetail in a fast walk or jog, bullet hit low in the chest/top of leg. He must have been dead on his feet as he hit the ground limp and tumbled to a stop. Bullet shattered some bone on the way in.

I hit another whitetail just at the base of the neck at the shoulder as he stepped out of the red willows. He dropped at the shot, but was still alive when I walked up to him. I think a softer bullet would have created more shock and quicker death (IMHO) and another tiny exit.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
As regards to your statement of a "tiny exit" I agree that the exits in the hide aren't usually large but IME the inside look like a blender went through with extensive damage

I shot this deer with a 338 Lapua and it ran.
Entrance
[Linked Image]

Exit
[Linked Image]

What vital is actually hit and each individual animal determine how each react to being shot

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
largest exit I"ve ever seen from a Barnes. And on a soft target too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Not a Barnes the bullet was a 300 SMK started at 2800 FPS impacted at 300 yards on the nose

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ah. Makes more sense. One of those non hunting non expanding SMKs that you NEVER should use on game. Grins.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Stumbled across this info on TSX/TTSX impact velocities....

http://www.americanrifleman.org/GalleryItem.aspx?cid=22&gid=24&id=133

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks JG,

Pretty much supports what I thought !

Here's another link, to a Barnes (commercially loaded) Vor-tx ballistic table.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-con...jectory-velocity-energy-REV-8-9-11-P.pdf

Looking at what my Wife & Son are shooting - 7mm-08, 120gr TTSX, it would appear that they "should" have enough velocity, for reliable expansion, out to over 400 yards. Mute point though, as 200yrds is a very long shot, in our country.

With a 200yrd "0", a manageable 7.1" of drop @ 300yrds.

ft/lbs of energy @ 300 = 1391

Paul

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
but I think we'd all agree even the biggest mule deer and Canadian whitetails are still deer, and not that tough to kill. What's up?

At this time I feel the same way. I'm planning to hunt whitetail in Saskatchewan in November. My Tikka 300 WSM is zeroed with 165 TSX. However, since I'm not expecting any extreme range shots on this trip, I may just bloody a new 30-06 and it loves 180 SST on targets, so with luck I'll see if they kill quicker.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tried the TSX in two rifles, a .223 and a 22-250 and could not get the kind of accuracy I wanted to use them out in the field.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by StrayDog
but I think we'd all agree even the biggest mule deer and Canadian whitetails are still deer, and not that tough to kill. What's up?

At this time I feel the same way. I'm planning to hunt whitetail in Saskatchewan in November. My Tikka 300 WSM is zeroed with 165 TSX. However, since I'm not expecting any extreme range shots on this trip, I may just bloody a new 30-06 and it loves 180 SST on targets, so with luck I'll see if they kill quicker.

Give them a try. In my experience TSX and TTSX have killed as quickly as any bullet that I have shot and that include Hornady, Sierra, Nosler (solid base, partitions and BT) Speer and a few others that escape me at the moment

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had a fist-sized exit wound on a caribou and a buck from a .284 140gr TTSX. The deer was at about 50 yards and the caribou was at 400 yards.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
80 gr. TTSX out of my 257 Weatherby destroys deer and is .25 MOA. I have shot a bunch of deer with this rifle at ranges from 50 to 360 yds. I have yet to recover a bullet. I'm always amazed at how much hemoraging occurs. None have run further than 50 yds.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Majen that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't be bashful of using the 300 WSM with a 165 TSX, all 3 of these were killed in a 3 month period,3 animals, 3 months, 3 shots..... all were DRT, shots from 75 yards to 200 yards, it kills animals quite well of all shapes and sizes. I've only ever found one TSX of all the animals I've killed with them and that was a 338WM with a 225TSX that broke the back and leg bone of a 7ft black bear that was doing the death tumble as I emptied the 338 on him at 20 yards, bullet was found in the opposite foot if I recall correctly.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

me too, have the 308 loaded with 130 TTSX at 3050...if i was expecting long ranges i would use a different bullet but these will be 175 yards or less

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Count me as another happy TSX user on deer. For me, I like one load during hunting season that could see use on deer, pigs and my annual CO elk hunt. My model .30-06 mod 70 Featherweight loves the 168 TSX at just under 2,850. It's certainly not necessary for deer, but I don't see any negatives in using it and enjoy the positives of extreme accuracy and a bullet that is capable of taking tougher game.

Deer shot with that bullet act like deer shot with a viarity of other 30 cal bullets. Sometimes they fall over and sometimes they run a bit then fall over.

My Buddy's favorite all-around bullet from his .280 Featherweight is the 140 TSX. He's not looking to change.

Ken

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
... So in my feeble mind I'm wondering if I'd like it just as much to have a mono punch through both sides, leave a blood trail, follow it 50-100 yards and find it dead. Fall over dead, I can see it laying there dead, or double punch and watch it stumble bumble or even trot off and die but I've got a blood trail?

Let me ask you TTSX guys this........In open country hunting where shots can be longer...300-500 yards....How much confidence do ya'll have that these TTSX will open up, expand like a TTSX is supposed to expand, and it will be business as usual on the receiving end?

We've been using MRX and TTSX on game for several years now, from antelope to elk. This includes 100g TTSX in my .257 Roberts, .308" 168g TTSX in a variety of .308 Win and .30-06 rifles and 180g MRX in my .300WM. I had an antelope go about 25 yards but that was the longest by far. Most game has dropped where it stood or taken no more than a step or two. So far we have nothing but exit holes.

Last fall I took a mulie buck at under 50 yards with the .300WM and a 180g MRX launched at 3033fps. The MRX exited on a quartering shot and the buck took about 3-4 steps. The next day I used the same load to take a cow elk at 399 yards. It was a broadside shot. The cow did a 180 turn, took a couple steps then turned 90 to head uphill. She made it another couple steps before collapsing. She's inside the yellow circle in the pic below.

[Linked Image]

In 2010 I drove a 168g TTSX lengthwise though a mulie doe. Not sure what the range was but believe it to be 350 or so. (Damn POS Leupold RX IV rangefinder wouldn't take a reading. Again.)

Never could bring myself to use TSX on big game again after a disappointing test on a buck antelope. No problems at all with the tipped varieties, MRX and TTSX.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To clarify, the disappointing experience wasn't with a TSX at all, was it? I think I remember you saying that it was an old XLC...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
To clarify, the disappointing experience wasn't with a TSX at all, was it? I think I remember you saying that it was an old XLC...

Correct. My bad for not making that clear. The XLC were the older X design with a blue lubricant coating. The TSX have a wider hollow point.

I tried TSX when they came out and they proved to be very accurate in my rifles. When the wind wasn't blowing I could consistently shoot the centers out of clay pigeons at 200 yards. Never could bring myself to use them on game because of the XLC results.

Still have 50 115g TSX loaded for my .257 Roberts, about 30 140g TSX for my 7mm RM and another 30 or so 180g TSX for my .300WM. Saving these for long range target play as I don't know what else to do with them.

Really like the TTSX and now unavailable MRX.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 02/08/13.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1minute, 1234, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 1moredeer, 55 invisible), 1,861 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,896
Posts18,498,046
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.