-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't even think to mention the "bone-out" method. I haven't used it on antelope but I'd say about half the deer I shoot each year get boned out. I look at it this way I either have to remove the meat in the field or do it when I get home. Either way it has to be done. The biggest determining factor is how far I am from my truck. Anything over a 1/2 mile gets boned out on the spot, as it's easier in the long run.

Is it Friday yet?
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sky, for me about a mile, depending on terrain and weather. If there is plenty of snow, I'm much more likely to bone them in the field. If it's dry and dusty I'd rather not have all that lovely sage brush blowing a coating all over my meat. I typically carry plenty of heavy cotton meat sacks with me to keep the meat in so it stays nice and clean for when I do bone it out.
<br>
<br>KI, I'll have to try it again. Last fall, my partner was in big rush to get home and wasn't helping the situation much. I finally gave up and gutted it when it was already half disassembled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In Colorado when the law says keep the testicles on the animal, how do you do that? -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunt Idaho. [Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I skin down the middle where you'd normally make the gut cut, I skin between the testicles right through the middle of the scrotum (sp?), then skin the hide away from them. Split the testicles apart and they'll stay nicely attached, one on each leg. You can then bone the hind quarter out or take the hind leg off at the hip and they stay put. You have to be a bit careful, because they aren't attached by a lot, but it doesn't take to many tries to get the hang of it.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Muley, that's the way I do it but they are talking about boning out from the back, not opening the cavity at all. Looks like boning out a hind quarter and keeping the testicle intact would be kinda touchy. The old way has always been fast and easy for me, but I don't pack out on my back either.-- no

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now Sonnie don't forget that I was in on the last two deer you killed. At least the last two that I know of. You want I should tell about boning out the meat and backpacking it and all that other stuff?
<br>Just 'cause you been puny you think I should have mercy on you? Har har de Har!
<br>
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess I have been living a sheltered life. I don't have to drag a dead deer at all. I just back the pickup truck up to them and throw them in the bed. It's a short drive to camp where the skinning pole and the walk in cooler are. Some day I hope to get out and hunt where the pickup can't go. Heck here in West Texas half of the pickup trucks in town have blood stains running down the tail gate during deer season. The other half have just been through the car wash. [Linked Image]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I bone them out, I leave the dink attached to the largest piece of hind quarter meat. It works out well. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boggy, doncha know partners don't tell on each other? Get a bag packed, we may have to make a quick trip to Colorado in August for left over tags. I have a small tent we can pitch on the porch to be first in line, heck, some of the boys might want to go with us. -- no

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
NO. If you send me a copy of your CC and drivers license I can go down and buy one for you.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Saddlesore,
<br>That's an interesting thought, didn't know that could be done. I appreciate the offer. Will have to check things out a little more and get back with you. I thought you had to buy in the area where you were hunting. -- no

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I think you can also do it by mail, but don't know what they will do this year. In the past a fellow could go down and buy up to 4 licenses for his hunting buddies.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I understood that there will be a form on-line that you can fill out and print off and send in with your money. Nothing on the DOW page about that under leftovers yet. the day they start selling it is a zoo down at the main office. you stand in line to draw a number from the drum and that is your postion in line to buy tags no matter what time you got there. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E,
<br>
<br>I don't "core" the anus on deer or antelope, I split/cut the pelvis bone and pull all of the organs out in one piece, from trachea to rectum after cutting down the diaphram. Cabela's sells a "Sagen Saw" that works great, as do a pair of limb shears if you don't have to carry them.
<br>
<br>Elk and moose are a different story, being generally too big to handle as easily as a deer or antelope, but it could be done with enough hands to help.
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1234, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,862 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.