Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You guys may have this one but it works super for making card wads outta old milk or OJ cartons.Got it from Buffalo Arms and it cuts very fast,precise and clean.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quite a gadget. But please straighten me out about milk cartons. Back in "the dark ages" (according to my hair) those milk cartons were waxed cardboard which was very good for card wads. But aren't today's milk cartons plastic coated cardboard? Even if they are plastic coated (which I'm not sure of) perhaps very little of the plasic would contact or end up on the inside of the bore. Anyway, with the thought of plastic on the milk cartons, I have avoided using that as a wad material. Another reason is that we don't drink very much milk these days...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good question Mike read about that on other BP forums.I used a hair dryer to melt some and I'm positive it's food grade paraffin wax exactly like they coat veggies with prior to shipping,at least with the OJ product I'm buying.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting thread. I'm very new to this genre, but I'll throw in that I like Redding Competition Seating Dies for straight walled cases, to help assure straight bullet seating. I have a set for the .45-70, and recently found it works fine for the .45-90 as well.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Flyboy, That sounds good. Maybe I'll try some OJ soon. For now I'm using plain single cardboard, like tablet backing.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well don't mix them. The Minute Maid OJ and Lemonade cartons I punched are at .026" and the milk cartons run.020". "Consistancy is the last refuge of the unimaginitive" but it sure works good when BP loading. Magnum Man

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a set of those cheap hole punches from the 3$ bin at the parts store. One of those is just right for 44-45 cal wads, and I could really get a batch of wads made if my hammerin hand didn't give out.
I then bought one of the Cornell press mounted wad punches for the 44 2 1/4, and that's really working well.
I use the rubberized cork gasket material from NAPA for wads in the 44 patched loads. And am thinking the bags inside of cereal boxes might make good wad's for sammichin grease cookies.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A "Hempe" hollow steel punch for 1/2" recently found its way to my door for $4.95. The only marking on it is "1/2" so I don't even know where it is made but I do suspect it isn't in the US. However, it is punching cardboard and leather or felt for my .50 wads rather nicely. It needs a hammer for inspriation, of course, but I don't punch a large number at any one time. I can't complain about this tool and it was cheap enough.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My 'possibles' bag includes a ratchet wrench, with extension and socket, for removing the breech plug from my TC Omega.

No matter how tight that plug becomes, it's no match for the leverage of the wrench. The cheesy little plug remover thingy that TC provides just doesn't cut it.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Not really a "Gadget" but I made this box for my big 44 Cal.Dragoon pistol a few weeks ago from an old wood pallet,a belt,and an old rifle sling.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I love that box. The blanket idea is pretty cool but having the revolver strapped in like that is a great idea. What is it by the way? Looks like a small dragoon of sorts.

These are some of my gadgets

Capacity 165 cartridges. I have several of these now. This is the first and crudest.
[Linked Image]

Wet and dry patch dispenser, required 10 cartridges for score, timer, earplugs and a couple extra bullets in case I mess one up.
[Linked Image]

Line box for silhouette. 90 cartridge capacity and everything else I need.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

At some matches, we have to move between firing points (800, 900,1000 yds) and we need carts or wagons. I built this cart which folds flat and slides into any car or truck. It also holds shooting box (I made a different box for this purpose), two rifles, cross sticks, spotting scope, tripod, tarp, shooting matt and cartridge box.
[Linked Image]

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice set up you have there......the pistol is a big Uberti Dragoon

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Huh. I didn't get the scale right at all. I had a .45 Uberti dragoon once, should have known better. If I still had it, I'd try for a whitetail with it.

Brent

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Brent.

It would have been nice if you would have put a self propelled drive on that cart so if I ever had to pull it and mine through that swamp pit at Lodi I wouldn't have to stop and catch my breath so often.

Last edited by Kurt71; 02/16/13.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Kurt, you need to get on that bike (and I don't mean a Harley) and start pedaling! Time to get in shape. Mother's Day Match is just around the corner (well maybe a couple corners. But hop to it!

smile

I'm working on my off hand hard. This will be the year.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Pedal bike wont help, been doing that. It's a COPD thing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Double Pour Dumpster" ......holds .850 Lb. Melt, and with the blocks pictured (Leeth 550 "Gordon") moves about 1200 Gr. of alloy in one pour.

[Linked Image]

"Open" ( ram retracted)

[Linked Image]

...and closed" Closed" ( ram extended) Breech seater built out of a small welder's clamp, drops into any Sharps '74 Block Mortise and and seats a .45-83 540 in a 45-70 chamber

[Linked Image]

Blowgun Drop tube, '03 Springfield Mag Spring retains cartridge

[Linked Image]

'nother shot of that"Double Pour Dumpster"

[Linked Image]

Priming tool from hell,....just all cobbled up, and right where it needs to be, in terms of 'development'

[Linked Image]

C. is a .45 cal powder compression die made up from scrap, and a $5.00 Flea Market Starret Micrometer. RETURNABLE , and repeatable

[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/robbinmyers/45dies3.jpg[/img]

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/16/13.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Items I have made include wiping rods, chamber swabs, wind flags, cross sticks, and bore guides. My only claim to fame (notoriety? grin) is when my bore guides were mentioned in a Single Shot Exchange article.

I've sold a few items, but they are produced one at a time, labor intensive, and I can't make minimum wage on them, so I occasionally make something for somebody who will appreciate them. My stuff isn't all that unique or special, but it is as good or better than competitive products, if only because they are well thought out and and range proven, and I won't compromise on quality. I get a chuckle when somebody says "Ya gotta get Brand X because that's what all the top shooters use". Well known doesn't always mean the best.

Paul

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m88/Paul39/IMG_0002-1.jpg[/img]

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I havent done much lately as far as building gadgets except a set of case forming/sizing dies and a base swage die for my new .44-100 st.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mossyoak1957
Not really a "Gadget" but I made this box for my big 44 Cal.Dragoon pistol a few weeks ago from an old wood pallet,a belt,and an old rifle sling.

[Linked Image]

I'm jealous. My BP range box is an orange Home Depot Homer box blush

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 33 invisible), 2,232 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,702
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.