Hop To
B
Beltway Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi.
Long time reader, first day as member. grin
Seems to be good help to be found here.

I'm investing in a new bolt-action rifle, but I'm having a hard time deciding. I want a controlled round feed action.
This will work as an all-round rifle. The caliber I was thinking about was 30-06, but I'm open to other choices too.

I went to the gunshop last weekend to have a look. I had done some research on Ruger M77, Winchester M70 and the CZ 550. I liked all of them, hehe. But a gun suddenly caught my eye.
A beautiful old thing. It was the Brno ZG47.
In good shape and it was chambered in 30-06. No plastic or syntetic material to be found, only wood and steel.
Made in 1964, I think the shopkeeper said.

I don't know much about Brno rifles, but I have looked around the internet, and people have a lot of nice things to say about them.

Here are the prices in US dollars:
Winchester M70 Featherweight 30-06: 1.820$
Ruger M77 All weather 30-06: 1.460$ (No iron sights)
CZ 550 30-06 (Super sale): 910$
Brno ZG47 30-06: 1.180$
Everything cost a lot where I live. mad
Quality is more important than price.

So what do you say, guys? What CRF rifle would be a good choice? Is it worth buying a 50 year old gun? Or would I just be better off buying a brand new one. Will a new rifle actually last longer than a rifle that is already 50 years old? Hmm. I'm not sure. New CZ vs an old Brno?

Here is what I'm looking for in my new rifle:
-Controlled round feed.
-Iron sights
-Scope mounting capability
-All-round caliber
-Rugged design. Must work in a blizzard, rain and mud.
-With good maintenance, it must last 100 years(at least ;))

Some extra infomation: Where I live we are not allowed to own a lot of guns, so each gun I buy must be something I really want, and can use.
Excuse my english, I'm from Europe.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.
Have a nice day.
smile

HR IC

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
THe ZG47 is far and away the best gun you have looked at. Hinged floor plate, vault like action that will be super smooth, hand crafted and a good price. The only negative would be weight. If the weight doesn't bother you, buy it in a heart beat.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Taint sure I could form an argument against ddj.

Originally Posted by Beltway
Hi.

BTW, this made me chuckle. Your composition and spelling is better than many on this site. grin grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have had seven Brno ZGs, and am probably going to sell my last .30-06 soon, as I have too many guns and am getting old.

I will just say that, as they came from the factory, these are the best hunting rifles ever made. If, you add, as I do to mine, original 9,3x62s, a highend synthetic stock, they are lighter and as "perfect" as it gets.

I use and recommend the MKX Micky Edge for these and Talley rings, just don't get no better.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
When I was on an extended work assignment in Copenhagen, I found a most excellent firearms shop. I was struck by how different the relative prices were there, as compared to the US. Very run of the mill US guns (Winchester, Ruger, Rem.) went for way more money than I would ever pay for them, while there were all sorts of cool Mauser-derived models that I would have loved to have taken home, particularly at the prices for which they were being offered.

Buying the Brno seems like an easy call for me. There is nothing about the age that would be a source of worry; the only thing I would check for is the quality of the bore, as it may be old enough to have been around corrosive primers.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If it were me, I'd go with the ZG47...I like old and classy even if it's not fancy.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For the money absolutely the ZG47 or the CZ-550, for the price increase over the CZ, the 70 and 77 wouldn't even be in consideration for me.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't be bothered to have any of the options, but for the comparative prices, I think I'd go with the classic.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
THe ZG47 is far and away the best gun you have looked at. Hinged floor plate, vault like action that will be super smooth, hand crafted and a good price. The only negative would be weight. If the weight doesn't bother you, buy it in a heart beat.

ddj

There you have it!

Welcome to the 'fire!

I also must compliment your English... There are many here for whom it is their primary language who couldn't hope to communicate as well as you did.

I hope you keep coming round and make sure to put up pics of whatever rifle you choose!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Run, don't walk, to the store and get that ZG47!!!!!! That may be the finest bolt action ever designed. You will never regret it.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beltway;
Welcome to the 'Fire from southern BC.

Buy the Brno.

As others have mentioned already, unless it's been really abused it's certainly the one I'd pick.

From what I've seen and in my opinion the quality of the Brno arms of that vintage is very good.

If the rifle feels good to you - that is the stock fits your physical build - then by all means don't hesitate to purchase it.

Hopefully that was some use to you sir, good luck on your new rifle whichever way you decide.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Beltway Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thank you all for fast and good feedback.

Lots of positive comments on the old Brno. Now I actually feel relieved. I really liked the ZG47 and with such strong recommendations from you gentlemen, it really makes my choice much easier. smile

More thoughts on this subject is of course welcome.

Have a nice day.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thank you for joining us at the "fire" Beltway. I look forward to your posts showing days afield with your new rifle.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Are you still here..!

Run...to the store...run in case someone beats you to the Brno.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Get the Brno yet?

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Are you still here..!

Run...to the store...run in case someone beats you to the Brno.

Darn right!

If I recall correctly, Ludwig Olson pronounced the Brno ZG47 the finest bolt action in his book on bolt action rifles. I can't check my copy now since I have loaned my copy out.

The ZG47 has the Brno dovetailed receivers, but there are lots of good scope rings to fit them.

John

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Beltway
Hi.

BTW, this made me chuckle. Your composition and spelling is better than many on this site. grin grin

I was thinking the same! smile

Oh, and one other thing Beltway, put your location in your profile, so we will know what country to make fun of... wink

John (OK, bring on the Swede jokes...)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you hunting dangerous game?

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Beltway Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi "jpb". I'm from Scandinavia too. I'm your neighbour to the west.

I have contacted the gunshop again about the Brno. Papers have been filled out, and now I'm just waiting for a green light from the police. (The police must authorize all gun purchases here).

Hi, Swanmpman700. No, I'm not hunting any dangerous game.
We have brownbear and a few wolves, but they are not allowed to hunt.

smile

Last edited by Beltway; 02/19/13.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Beltway.........how about posting pics After you get your rifle. cool

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

399 members (257 mag, 163bc, 2500HD, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 36 invisible), 1,616 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,867
Posts18,497,451
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.