Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Put me down for a "NO".

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd like one to free range onto my place. I like to eat buffalo.

Any time you introduce or re-intorduce anything it then becomes the locals problem. No affect on the folks that make decisions and not related to their day to day lives.

In a word NO.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Little, the landowners up there DO have their act together. They were never invited to the table in the first place, because the bison proponents don't care.
The habitat is the direct result of good management in a really hard and unforgiving part of the world. That's why the Greens want it now.
As for tension -- there are too many Montana "hunters and anglers" who had it too darn good for too long and took their rancher friends for granted for too long. They weren't there for the ranchers, either politically or culturally.
I've made it a point to be about more than just hunting. Somehow, I have NO access problems. Is is because I speak "farm" or "cow?" Might it be because I see these folks in Helena from time to time? Could be -- and it works. I have paid "bribes" of produce from town, but that's about the extent of it.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
...there are too many Montana "hunters and anglers" who had it too darn good for too long and took their rancher friends for granted for too long. They weren't there for the ranchers, either politically or culturally...

Are these the same "friends" blocking access to public lands?

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Free range buffalo in Montana will never happen because of the Brucellosis disease that they carry and can be transferred to cattle. With the potential of Montana's Brucellosis free Status being pulled, Buffalo are very unpopular with all concerned. Especially ranchers. Not many people would risk having Montana's cattle industry completely shut down because of a few stupid Buffalo. No free range Buffalo.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
what's ironic is that brucellosis CAME from cattle. the bison were infected by exposure to cattle, but now the "stupid Buffalo" are 'bad'?

my family has a ranch here in MT, but i'd still vote yes.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for all of the replies.

Those of you who think it's a good idea, how you do propose to control herd movements? Natural winter migrations, drought conditions, etc..

Or I guess I'll come right out and ask, if they are free range wildlife shouldn't they be allowed to roam wherever they want?

The Yellowstone deal appears to be a bit of a mess, what's to prevent that from happening somewhere else?

I highly doubt a buff knows private from public ground.

Another question, how far can a (healthy/adult)buff travel in one day?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
buffalo are not real difficult to manage. even Turner does it. trick is just don't piss 'em off.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Feel free to explain.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
guessing when drought conditions hit, Ted feeds his buffalo just like Sam does his cows.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
And I also did not realize Turner's herd was free range?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The yukon variety seems to be pretty cagey and can dissapear into the mountains. They have been trying to knock the herd down to a few hundred and now are approaching 1000 animals. Not bad for a glorified cow.
Originally Posted by toad
buffalo are not real difficult to manage. even Turner does it. trick is just don't piss 'em off.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Why are they trying to reduce numbers?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
ever been around Brahama cattle?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
No.

Little too chilly for them around here.

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/21/13.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Thanks for all of the replies.

Those of you who think it's a good idea, how you do propose to control herd movements? Natural winter migrations, drought conditions, etc..

Or I guess I'll come right out and ask, if they are free range wildlife shouldn't they be allowed to roam wherever they want?

The Yellowstone deal appears to be a bit of a mess, what's to prevent that from happening somewhere else?

I highly doubt a buff knows private from public ground.

Another question, how far can a (healthy/adult)buff travel in one day?

The hard part of this is that we really dont know what they'll do for migration or drought conditions. Im sure we have a pretty good idea, but the current test sample (Yellowstone) isnt the best of examples.

I'd love to be able to hunt buffalo, but surely there is a cost to letting them range again. I'd be great if a compromise could happen, but it seems to be unlikely.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
been around brahma crosses.....point being though they are domestic cattle and not a wild critter....

know a couple guys that kept bison and all say the same, you can only keep them fenced as long as you keep them happy, soon as they decide they are gonna be happier on the other side of the fence thy just go through it....your not gonna be able to mix wild bison with ranching cause bison go through fences, not over them like deer and elk.....which is why all the ranchers that are butted up to the tribal land that has bison hate the [bleep] cause no matter what kinda fence the ranchers put up trying to keep the bison out they just go through it and scatter their cattle....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
they have much the same attitude. and i've been around both.

reality is, there will never be 'free range' buffalo like you are discussing. they may be given more range, but if so, they will be managed.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
These are the wood bison varety. A small herd was moved from NWT in order to save the only other herd if something wiped it out. They needed some seed I guess. Anyways only needed a few hundred but now need to get the numbers down so they don't compete too much with moose I guess. Its funny how they lived on the alaska highway untill the hunting was finally allowed and they now seem to be better at hiding than squirrels. Laying on the ground they are about 3 ft through the chest. If my sled was running I'd get out myself but kids/work keeping me too busy this winter.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Why are they trying to reduce numbers?

Last edited by tangozulu; 02/21/13.
Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 219 Wasp, 65 invisible), 14,403 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,298
Posts18,545,349
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.