Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
barber Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
In my state we cannot use leg hold or body gripping traps, only box traps. Is there any way to attract beaver into a box trap, or get them to come out so they can be shot? I can't get to the dam.

Last edited by barber; 03/03/13.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Can you use snares?
Can you use bait to attract them?

Where there's a will, there's a way. But beavers are smart, and wise up very quickly when under pressure.

B
barber Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
the only thing we are allowed to use in Wash, are box traps

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
When you say "box traps," do you mean a live trap like a Havahart? Or can you use drowning traps, sometimes referred to as "colony" traps?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
There are live traps for beaver, check out Northern, or F&T, or Bailey's in NH. The Hancock trap is a real monster, expensive, and could catch a small child. I don't understand why outlaw the traps that are only dangerous for the beaver? Sorry, not to rant, just use caution as always.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
SSS.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Does your county have a trapper employed by the State or County to eradicate pests? If they do they can help you. If they don't and its your land the problem is on then use a trap designed to live trap beaver.

Beaver move around a lot a night in my reservoir and I usually have no luck trying to get one just swimming by. Happens once in awhile but not often.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm really not surprised you have a Beaver problem.

I like Beavers and only try to get rid of them when we no longer get along...

It happens.
LOL!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
flooded timber is a real nitemare---trees take a lot longer to grow than beavers.--cranky72

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you could get smaller beaver to go into a large cage trap in the spring by using a castor type lure on a mudpie at the rear of the trap. YOu won't know for sure unless you try it. In the spring beaver are traveling everywhere and marking out territories. They are very sensitive to other beaver in their territory.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have a serious beaver problem. I have discovered two large tunnels in one of my dams, one I found by my tractor tire collapsing it yesterday, the other when I went looking for the entrance.

I have trapped one with a Conibear 330 in a place they have used to travel in and out of, and shot one, but there are obviously more as they have been "improving" their dam the last few days.

I need some help with instructions on getting rid of these things before I have serious structural problems with the dam.

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 04/29/13. Reason: kaint spel

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
other than traps, which someone with more moxy will have to give you advice on, I've always went in the morning and wrecked the crap out of their dam.

Then went back just before dusk with a shotgun and a light.

Bring bug spray - and a buddy.

Moonlight helps some, as you can see the ripples reflecting in the water to help you know when they are coming.

Of course, all local laws regarding lights and night hunting apply.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it were my property I would just use some #4 legholds and 330 Conibears. They represent the only viable means of removing beaver in any #'s. The he11 with such a ridiculous law. Option #2 is to move to a state that is still free.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RWE
other than traps, which someone with more moxy will have to give you advice on, I've always went in the morning and wrecked the crap out of their dam.
Then went back just before dusk with a shotgun and a light.
Bring bug spray - and a buddy.
Moonlight helps some, as you can see the ripples reflecting in the water to help you know when they are coming.
Of course, all local laws regarding lights and night hunting apply.....

That's how I managed to shoot the one. The others got smart REAL quick and they only come out late at night.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm still looking...

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
The others got smart REAL quick and they only come out late at night.

I forgot to mention it was an all nighter... laugh

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Who needs sleep anyway. grin

Still hoping someone can point me to a website or provide some tactics to use this late in the year that doesn't include me sitting in the dark, trying to decide whether to shoot the cottonmouths and copperheads or wait for the beavers. eek

Ed

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
beavers are nocturnal, friend with a good light & a decent caliber like 257 roberts or a 6.5 mm. lots of times you only see a nose so you shoot low thru a little water to blow them up. explosives on their dams are allowed for government trappers in okie land.--cranky72

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
.32-20 with a hard cast 110gr RNFP at around 1600fps worked well on my first one. grin

The dams aren't quite to the explosives stage yet, but I HAVE considered pumping propane into one of the tunnels and touching it off ala the "Rodenator" for prairie dogs. eek

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 04/29/13. Reason: Wrong name for tool

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ed if you were up North you could pour used peanut oil on the lodge and the Brown Bears will take care of the problem! Probably underwater snare is your best bet should be a You tube
video on it.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
TRAPPERMAN.com

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,188
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.