Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by eyeball
The problem is that too many city slickers going on their rare hunt and having minimal skill and confidence end up getting a shot while using the cheapest bullet that comes apart before adequate penetration and then never find or even hunt for the deer that runs off to die days or weeks later.

In my experience the 'city slickers' or others that are uninitiated and inexperienced believe all the garbage they hear from Uncle Charlie or see on Bubbavision that they 'need' a 7 em em or '06 or new whiz bang magnum of some sort. And they have also been told by what they consider figures of authority that .22 centerfires dont work on deer. I can honestly say Ive never seen any sort of newbie try it with a .22 centerfire.....they are usually in the hands of rifle loonies, and more often than not they are shooting a proper bullet because they've done their homework. The newbies can wound them and loose them with any gun in their hands...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

TDC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
agree

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
+-1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I tend to agree with that statement. Most of the ppl I know who use 22 centerfires are good hunters and good shots. They have the time to pick and chose their shots and do so. The big problem I am having is so many ppl want to let Jr. use a .22 centerfire because he can't handle anything bigger! Well I was Jr. once and I stepped up to the plate and learned to handle a rifle. I also know even though I lived in the country and shot alot those first few deer were shot under the stress of balled up nerves. Not something good when using a light caliber. JMHO

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They are [bleep] deer. If you can't kill one with a 223 a 338 ain't gonna help any.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sweet.. A Texan recommending a better cartridge to shoot deer in the guts.

I'm sure his fellow residents of the lone star state appreciate his reinforcement of the stereotype.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Killing ain't the question. Recovering is, and a marginal shot with a larger caliber will most often leave a better blood trail to follow. I am not the enemy here when it comes to small calibers but I will argue that they are not for everyone and that marginal hits happen in the real world and a larger bore with a heavier bullet helps track. I also believe you need a caliber and bullet combination adequate for the game you are after and the conditions and terrain you are hunting.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WSM_Shooter
I also believe you need a caliber and bullet combination adequate for the game you are after and the conditions and terrain you are hunting.

Agreed. And as Steelhead said, they're deer.....they dont require as much as most folks think. Literally 99% of the deer Ive killed could have been done just as easily with a .223 as the myriad of cartridges I did use.When a variety of premium bullets became available for the .22s 99% of my deer have been shot with them...again, literally....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
SO what y'all are sayin'is,

STICK<STONE<SPEAR<ATLATL<BOW/REVOLVER<22CF<STEALHEAD/INGWE LOVECHILD ARMED WITH 270WIN

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

Agreed. And as Steelhead said, they're deer.....they dont require as much as most folks think.

I'm trying one of my wife's angry looks on 'em this season..

eek

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by WSM_Shooter
Killing ain't the question. Recovering is, and a marginal shot with a larger caliber will most often leave a better blood trail to follow. I am not the enemy here when it comes to small calibers but I will argue that they are not for everyone and that marginal hits happen in the real world and a larger bore with a heavier bullet helps track. I also believe you need a caliber and bullet combination adequate for the game you are after and the conditions and terrain you are hunting.

That's right, that's why I use a .458 WM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Agreed. And as Steelhead said, they're deer.....they dont require as much as most folks think.

eek

If they're anything like most wife's angry looks I suspect you'll need a walk in cooler before season is over... wink

My 2 cents on 22CF for deer... I don't have a problem with people that can take the time and use a good rest at standing broadside deer at less than 250 yds but still consider 22CF's for deer to be stunt shooting outside of those parameters.

All that being said I'm going to give a 243 I picked up this year a try on some whitetails next year and the 85gr Partition is my first bullet I'll try because I've had tremendous luck with every Partition I ever launched at game. Most of my hunting these days is from elevated shooting houses with a good rest and if the hogs quit being so nocturnal I may get a shot at one of them too... smile

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Laughable

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Scott, we need an updated pic of the new pup....

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Gangsta Roux

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Lookin a little more pit X Mal......and BAD-AZZED! laugh

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I sure never wanted anything pit, but to date he is a loveable dog and very bright. Got him to not [bleep] in the yard either (same as the other dog), they always go into the woods to do it.

He'll be 14 weeks old this week and a shade shorter than the terrier but I'm guessing the same weight, about 16 pounds. Guessing he still will not be overly huge when full grown.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Imagine how smart he would have been if he was full pit. jk. He is a good lookin pup.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

eek

I tried that already. It busts them up too bad. Going back to shooting a rifle next year.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

700 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 75 invisible), 3,152 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,106
Posts18,483,278
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.