Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a standard fill Mtn Rifle mickey that is just too damn long for me with a .5" flip flop pad.

What is the best way to go about cutting .5-1" off of the stock? Miter box? Or should I grind it off with a belt sander to avoid damaging the shell?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would let the guys at McMillan cut it, Im told there turn time are super fast for such things.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'd rather do it without sending it honestly..,

U
U
Grab a good table saw blade (ultra fine) setup your table saw so your stock will run thru nice and square & smooth. Setup is the key, I wrap run some blue painters tape around where your going to make the cut also to help. Thats how I have always done it. Just dont take too much off. Better to make a couple cuts if you have too. You will need to buy a new recoil pad and fit it when your done for that McMillan stock.

Kc

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Miter Box saw with fine tooth blade, just tape the stock with a couple of wraps of masking tape to keep it a super smooth cut. Set your blade with the stock angle already on the part you want to cut off. It is no big deal doing this .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
It is tricky to do it right. It needs to have the correct orientation in all three dimensions. If you are merely indicating off the surface of the stock, the tapers will throw you off. Be very careful about the pitch. Only a couple of degree will change how the gun feels.

It is a dyi task, but one that takes attention to detail.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Utah is right, takes some "ciferin" to get it right. We do ours on a milling machine to get it right. If you do your own, measure twice, cut short, measure again, cut short, creep up on things. Once removed, no putting back.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Tanner
I'd rather do it without sending it honestly..,

Tanner,

Get a Freud High Performance Laser Cut saw blade. They aren't cheap, but will last a lifetime. They make the smoothest cut of any I've tried.

Tape the stock well, measure twice, cut once... cool

On a table saw, pay attention of the angle of the blade, as stocks don't sit on the table like a 2x4. You need the angle set to get a perpendicular cut with the axis of the stock, not necessarily 90* with the table.

DF

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by utah708
It is tricky to do it right. It needs to have the correct orientation in all three dimensions. If you are merely indicating off the surface of the stock, the tapers will throw you off. Be very careful about the pitch. Only a couple of degree will change how the gun feels.

It is a dyi task, but one that takes attention to detail.

It's very easy to get the wrong "line" on it.... eek

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
One could make a pretty good case for sending it back to McM for cutting.

It wouldn't be too cool, screwing up a $500 stock.

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If you can get the FF pad off and sand the glue off, it makes setting up the saw much easier.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Tanner
I've got a standard fill Mtn Rifle mickey that is just too damn long for me with a .5" flip flop pad.

What is the best way to go about cutting .5-1" off of the stock? Miter box? Or should I grind it off with a belt sander to avoid damaging the shell?

A 50 or 80 grit belt will knock off .5-1.0" in no time. Tape the line you want and grind down to it. It ain't rocket surgery and some epoxy, fiberglass, and paint will fix anything you might [bleep] up.

Protecting your eyes, lungs and skin when grinding [bleep] is a given.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You'd have to be very good to get it completely flat and true.

I may have just described you for all I know. But I wouldn't start a learning curve with a $500+ stock.

Just saying...

I can get a very flat and true cut with a good table saw and a high quality blade as described in an earlier post. I have a very nice belt sander, but have never used it to cut a stock, just to shape the pad once it's on the stock.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just send it back to have it done right -- along with putting on the pad.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

^^This.^^
I think Mcmillan will replace a pad/cut down for 80 or 90 bucks, and that includes a new Decelerator.

I would like to think of myself as a fairly handy guy, and have cut down and done pads on cheaper stocks - but a Mcmillan that not only is expensive but takes months to replace in the same configuration and colors I own is too big of an investment in both time and money for me to botch up.

That being said, if a guy has the confidence in himself, and the tools to do it, go for it.

Last edited by prairie_goat; 03/05/13. Reason: added disclaimer
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Tanner, this is what you should do. If you don't have the right tools, this is too easy to [bleep] up. Just my opinion.

Last edited by CLB; 03/05/13.
Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've a friend that'll assist me with an electric miter box, we'll take off less than needed and then probably sand the last bit down so we go slow enough to make sure nothing goes too crazy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd cut it at a length to accommodate a 1/2" pad... by doing so when you [bleep] it up you can send it to Mc Millen and have them replace with a 1" pad. No harm, no foul wink

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Dude, seriously not a big deal. Place a piece of masking tape around your stock that will serve as a guide (i.e. back edge of tape is where you want the finished edge of stock to be. Take your time here getting everything square to stock. Grab a hack saw, and cut the stock to within 1/8" of the tape.

Go to harbor Freight, and buy a 60 grit, 12" disc sanding pad with the adhesive backing. Stick the sandpaper pad to a flat surface (like a piece of glass, etc), and sand the stock down the last little bit to your tape line. Done.

See here for some great pics of the process

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2215341/page/1

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (12344mag, 1234, 1lessdog, 160user, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 39 invisible), 18,644 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,947
Posts18,539,387
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.