Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by akjeff
Your sanity, and your wallet, will thank you later! You simply must be flexible, or really wealthy!

Jeff

Or...resigned to remain gun-poor. frown

I suspect that you've had some pretty fantastic combo gun experience over the years, Bruce. Really appreciate the advice you've passed on to us, both in private, and here on the 'fire.

Jeff

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I agree! Half the fun to me was figuring out what the rifle was chambered for and then trying to find out how to make the cases. I did it all in the late 70's which was well before Al Gore invented the internet.

The other half of the fun is carrying a gun that looks like the one below. This isn't a high cost drilling that shoots a rifle cartridge that you can buy at WalMart, but it is an effective firearm that has had a new lease on life because I could make the obsolete cases from cases that were readily available. Now almost 40 years later I can buy ready made cases for it! It is a 16X16X8x57R360.

[Linked Image]

Harry
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alectoris
L2S - I had run across the Woodleigh and Hawk bullets in my research but they didn't really push my buttons. Bullet availability and variety is one of the big reasons I never pulled the trigger on a 94 or 336 in 32 WS. Speer and Hornady are pretty much the only game in town for component bullets and the Hornady bullets were reputed to have size issues (underbore) affecting stability. Buying a gun and being boxed in to a single ammunition type will pretty much kill the deal before it gets off the ground.

Classic combo guns pretty much box you in, simply from their nature. They, like double rifles, have been regulated for a single load; you pretty much have to stick with what shoots well in your gun. It's a price we pay. Still, you can experiment a bit within the pressure limits and find other recipes.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I agree! Half the fun to me was figuring out what the rifle was chambered for and then trying to find out how to make the cases. I did it all in the late 70's which was well before Al Gore invented the internet.

The other half of the fun is carrying a gun that looks like the one below. This isn't a high cost drilling that shoots a rifle cartridge that you can buy at WalMart, but it is an effective firearm that has had a new lease on life because I could make the obsolete cases from cases that were readily available. Now almost 40 years later I can buy ready made cases for it! It is a 16X16X8x57R360.

[Linked Image]

Crafted by a master. cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a drilling buff used my first one in the 1960s to d0 control work for the state of WI, still don't own one but shoot a couple of combo guns for coyote hunting. Personally I feel that most of the drillings availible are in calibers that have ammo that can be purchased over the counter although can be expensive.

If you can afford a drilling you can afford the ammo. I'll have one by the end of the summer.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

439 members (160user, 22kHornet, 257man, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 41 invisible), 1,775 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,834
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.