Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Dies The Fire and the books that follow. By S.M. Stirling.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsonora
If you guys like Louis L'Amour y'all need to real Elmer Keltons books. The guy is unreal! From Dewey Callaway to Rusty Shannon and badgerboy. His westerns are amazing! I would start with the books about the Texas rangers

+1 on Elmer Kelton's stuff. I've not read it, but I did listen to some of his stories on book radio. Hewey Callaway would have to be my favorite of his characters that I'm aware of to date.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Louis L'Amour's The Sacketts

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by willhunt4
Dies The Fire and the books that follow. By S.M. Stirling.

Wow, I can't believe how many titles that I considered non-mainstream that are coming up in this thread. Dies the Fire is a pretty good read, but I admit that I struggled with parts of it. Particularly how the hardships in the aftermath affected the children and the parents who loved them.

Haven't read any of the titles that follow Dies the Fire yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Right now I have been reading a lot of Robert Parker, very easy read. cool
Before that I was reading Louis L'Amour, always love a good western.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some good ones so far. LOTR and The Dark Tower are two of my favorites.

The "Old Man's War" books by John Scalzi are also an interesting read.

Stush
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W.E.B. griffin series "The Corps", Ive reread the books twice now. Earlier Tom Clancy books "Hunt for Red October" is one of my all time favorites.

I have read the James Fenimore Cooper "Leatherstocking" series. Its been quite some time now and I should probably read them again.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H.P.Lovecraft-ALL,R.E.Howard-all.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Aaaah, Lovecraft.

It�s Edgar Allen Poe meets The Twilight Zone. No one could write prose like Lovecraft, that guy was a magnificent writer with few peers. I have his complete fiction works. All are short stories, and all are written with such poetic elegance that you just have to marvel at the guys gift for prose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath would make a kick-ass three part movie series with todays special effects.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B3

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
The Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath would make a kick-ass three part movie series with todays special effects.
"The Thing" movies were all inspired by At the Mountains of Madness. Somewhere out there, there�s a silent movie of Call of Cthluhlu. I watched part of it a few years ago; it wasn�t bad. Kept to the story very well.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
James Doss, Tony Hillerman, Steve Berry, David and Aimee Thurlo, Wilbur Smith, Clive Cussler, Baldacci, The early Tom Clancy bt the modern Clancy stuff is not so good, John Grisham, and James Lee Burk are some of my favorites. I got rid of mt TV around fifteen years ago and read a lot. I get better choices and no commercials. grin

This trip down to work the Ritchie Brothers auction I brought two Steve Berry, two James Doss and one Tony Hillerman. I will finish the second James Doss today and start the Tony Hillerman. Gad we go home on Sunday so I can go back to the library Monday.

Last edited by Scott F; 03/08/13.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite series has always been the robot novels by Isaac Asimov. From "I Robot" through the end of the Foundation series runs about 15 books but they are an easy and fascinating story.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With just a couple of exceptions I have read all of those listed. I read the Sacketts so much as a kid I just cannot get interest in any western books these days, but would love to write one. Anybody heard of Gotrek and Felix? My nephew then 14 left one of their books laying around and I read it for kicks, got hooked. I have read all the omnibuses out to date.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Stephen Hunter; Michael Connelly; Early John Grisham and Tom Clancy, before they turned into cookie-cutter formula books...

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tony Hillerman's Leaphorn/Chee mysteries, Robert B. Parker's Spenser mysteries, Larry McMurtry's Last Picture Show/Duane Moore series and Michael McGarrity's Kevin Kerney mysteries. Really like McGarrity's descriptions of real police work...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
The Longmire's were a good read.

Probably my favorite book series would be Horatio Hornblower by C.S. Forester,

Hornblower was a great read.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by n007
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
The Longmire's were a good read.

Probably my favorite book series would be Horatio Hornblower by C.S. Forester,

Hornblower was a great read.

I picked up a big hardcover with all the Hornblower stories in it at a used book sale about 15 years ago and have read it about 3 times and was just thinking a couple days ago that it's about time to read it again. crazy

It's also been made into a series of videos by AMC, I believe. I've got those, too. smile

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
George M. Fraser's "Flashman" series is my all-time favorite. Brilliant writing, full of flash and dash and a bit of sass, but all based on meticulous historically accurate reporting of the events of one of the most interesting periods in human history: the British Empire during the Victorian age.

John Sandford's "Prey" series. Well-written, gritty fiction, set in the Upper Midwest. Timely, politically savvy, and very accurate with medical, firearms, and police protocol details. They're a quick read, get them at the public library.

LOTR is reat, of course.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I like all of the Clive Cussler and Louis L'Amour books when I was younger. Although not really a 'series' writer, all of Alistair McClean's books were excellent reads, many of which became movies of notoriety.
I find myself reading much more non-fiction these days, likely because I'm older and have forgotten where I put my reading glasses on a daily basis.....

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,981
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.