-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
While going to CWU in Ellensburg in the late '70s I spent quite a bit of time in the hills around town. I had traded for a Sempert Krieghof 16x16x8x57JR drilling and really believed in it.

On a deer season opener (always a Saturday in WA) my father and I had driven up to the OK Corral in the dark and walked out to the canyon rim just as it was getting light. I dropped into the canyon and crossed it, finding myself climbing the worst part of the far side at the prime glassing time.

I clearly remember topping out and taking a sweaty break, a big drink, and a peek through the glass... Several bucks stood out on the West side of the canyon now that I was on the East side. None were big, but that meant less than nothing to me in the '70s.

Then I noticed my father jumping aroound madly and doing all osrts of things I could not begin to understand... But he kept pointing down...

So I stood and looked down. There was nothing there. So I stepped out a bit and looked down again. There was nothing there. So I stepped a bit farther out and looked down again. There was something there.

A very modest 4x4 mule deer was trying to let me walk right past him without trying to sneak out... At less than 50 yards it was a very bad plan.

I boned and bagged the buck after watching my father shoot a big fork horn. Through hand signals and wierd gyrations we established a plan to stay on opposite sides of the canyon and go to the river (Yakima) with our deer just a couple miles away.

At noon the bird season opened and that was the real plan from the start. An hour or so early I bumped a flock of chukar and sat on them until the season opened.

I believe the limit was six... and I killed most of my limit on the first "interaction" on a steep sidehill. They flew across the canyon and my father was on them right away. He chased them and killed at least several.

Packing an entire boned deer was a challenge, but there was no speed contest and we made good time down the hill. I flushed a large covey of chukar across the canyon and my father got on them right away, killing several and probably limiting out as I remember.

Soon after that a covey came running up the canyon side and I watched a large number of birds popping up and running uphill. I got in the middle of the route and shot another pair.

The finish to the limit was not memorable, but reaching the parking lot on the Yakima Canyon Road with a small buck and a limit of chukars was very memorable...

My father also killed a limit of chukar to go with his deer. And we did it again the following year... and at least a couple others.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That's good country. And a good story. Thanks!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a great story that brings back many memories. Thanks. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,927
Posts18,479,845
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.