Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ctw
Point is it all does not have to make sense to BRick top. Enough said.
Things still went WAYYYYYYY the f*ck over your head.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
GB1

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heavy .22s have been used for decades in competitions and in training starting bench shooters. The Martini Enfields, BSAs are still actively traded and sought. US made heavy models with decent iron sights -- ditto. The 1B in 22 LR -- like my .22 Hornet --makes an excellent practice rifle for instilling and sharpening muscle memory for hunting bigger game w/ransoming the farm for ammo.

Bricktop, your psychotic babble aside, you do not know what you are talking about on this one.

Your friend,
1B

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by domit
they made an 1 a in 357 for the cal. highway patrol once.

Yup. I have one. grin cool
Anybody know what it's worth?
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1B
I don't know a hell of a lot about any of this, but I enjoy getting in the mix anyway.

Your friend,
1B
Yes, I can tell by the constant dumbass drivel that I'm amongst the most serious competitors in this august forum.

Yes, you f*ckers want a rimfire No. 1 because you're all going to hit the competition circuit and kick some ass. More like licking each others' asses every time you give each other a reach-around for every stupid idea you birth.

I read all of the ignorant-ass BULLSHIT that gets posted by the same group of usual suspects and their minions and I realize that most of you f*ckos don't have enough sense to pour piss out of a boot without the instructions written on the heel.

The Browning BPCR thread being a great example of the clueless bullshit at which you've all become so adept.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Gee. We're all supposed to bow down and repent because some of us like something, say like a Ruger #1 in 22 LR just might be a cool idea. Bricktop doesn't approve. WOW! Whoopee and hood de [bleep] do.
Note to Bricktop. I don't give a damn whether you approve or go fly a kite. I collect and hunt with Ruger #1 rifles in their various form and I don't give a damn if you approve or not.
Why don't you just go home and tell your mother she's calling you?
Paul B.
PS: I really would like something like the #1A configuration in either .22LR or .22 WRM. Would actually like to have both.
PB

Last edited by PJGunner; 03/14/13.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Gee. We're all supposed to bow down and repent because some of us like something, say like a Ruger #1 in 22 LR just might be a cool idea.
Tell me what's "cool" about an 8-plus-pound .22 rimfire, [bleep]. I suspect you're like one of the many other self-absorbed internet nerds who feel any horseshit idea you have is "cool" simply because you've found an outlet to express it and half-a-dozen other dickheads electronically connected and like-minded.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tell me what's "cool" about an 8-plus-pound .22 rimfire, [bleep].

I don't give a rat's behind what's cool. Never been much of a sheep, and I just want one. That's the justification I've used to acquire about 80% of my stable. I already have about a 9 lb Anschutz, and I really really would like to have a similar factory Ruger. Sadly, I don't have the gear to mill one out on my own.

1Minute
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tell you what Bricktop, how would you like to call me [bleep] to my face. This you're bad enough to Take on a 74 year old fat man? I highly doubt it.
You don't like something,? That's fine. Be awful damn boring if all we had to talk about a a 22LR, 30-06 and a 12 ga. shotgun. Hell, you probably would not approve of the either.
Paul B.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tell you what Bricktop, how would you like to call me [bleep] to my face. This you're bad enough to Take on a 74 year old fat man? I highly doubt it.
I'd enjoy it, you fat bastard. Of course stress and hypertension will likely get your fat ass as soon as you sight me.

I don't quite understand the rationale or mentality of someone who needs to issue a physical challenge on the internet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned one Ruger No.1 in 22lr. I bought it off of GB for a grand. no one else bid on it. Beautiful rifle, but as BT says kinda heavy for a .22 rimfire. It was built by a 'smith in Pennsylvania (don't remember the name). The only "issue" with it was the "B" model forend. I would have used the AH forend.I sold it in a moment of brain death.........the rifle was not cool......it was outstanding. cool

Last edited by John_Boy; 04/08/13.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by domit
they made an 1 a in 357 for the cal. highway patrol once.

Yup. I have one. grin cool
Anybody know what it's worth?
Paul B.

They made 1820 of these rifles, I have owned two. A shop in CA about 2 years ago had 3 for sale at the same time.

I have seen them sell for around $900-$1000 over the last couple of years. Every once in a while, one comes up on GB for $1500 etc., because the owner thinks he has a "rare" one, but I haven't seen one sell for more than a grand.

I have also seen some .357's without the rollmark CHP etc. I believe you could get one in an "A" configuration without the California Highway Patrol if you wanted. Probably some end of run guns also.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's one of the CHP's on GB right now. It has been bid up just under a grand. The non-CHP over-runs seems to bring a couple hundred more, depending on condition

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by WITUfan
That's part of the fun of reading about Ruger #1s. Somebody out there wants one of just about anything you can dream up! crazy
Since when is an 8-plus-pound .22 rimfire "fun?" That's just f*cking stupid. There's already a very limited market for No. 1s or maybe it went way the f*ck over your head that Ruger decided to all but discontinue the No. 1. Creating an even more niche-oriented version doesn't improve things.

Sure am glad to find on this fine Sunday that you are the one that decides what everyone should like, own or want.

Thats one less _()*&)_(*^& thing I have to worry about today.

Now I gotta figure out how to ship a gun......

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Freedumb1, it may be that I just found the right buyer. Mine sold for $1500 (that is in the 22lr, not the CHP).......needless to say i was very happy.

Last edited by John_Boy; 04/28/13.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by John_Boy
Freedumb1, it may be that I just found the right buyer. Mine sold for $1500 (that is in the 22lr, not the CHP).......needless to say i was very happy.

If yours was a .22 LR, then it was a custom no doubt.

The CHP's were .357 Mag's.

I can only imagine what the cost of the gunsmithing to convert a No.1 to a rimfire .22 LR.

For someone who wanted a .22 LR in a Number 1, I'm sure the $1,500 was a steal.

Congrat's

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have done Ruger No.1 conversions using the lifting arm method and the moving the firing pin within the breechblock method. I much prefer the latter method, mainly for cosmetics of the breechblock in the action, I think the lifting arm method makes the breechblock sit too low for my eyes. Just a simple opinion.

If one wishes a No.1B look, the replacement of the barrel with a typical #4 tapered barrel will suffice. Taking about 3/8" off the back of the barrel will allow a hairline fit of the new blank to the No.1B forearm without wood mods. Of course, each forearm is different slightly as is the depth of the action face to the breechblock face; so one has to precisely measure things up and work accordingly.

A typical 4140 type chrome moly barrel blank is about 200 dollars handed to you. If you count the labor to mount the new barrel and blue it, you have about another 300 in that labor. Any above that is pretty much gravy in my opinion.

Most barrel blank makers will provide any factory barrel contour gratis anymore, most if not all factory contours are already in their data bases for their contouring machines.

I prefer the new aftermarket blank by a name maker, but have seen some sleeving done that was very nice on a factory barrel. Seems to appeal to those liking factory looks as per marking etc. It takes some developed skill to make the rifled sleeve invisible in the factory barrel.

The 300 dollars of labor would typically include the chambering, threading, clocking of ejector recesses, drilling 4x holes for the rib, crowning, marking as to caliber, and a slow rust blue of the barrel(I use 6 coats on a 400 grit surface).

I would suggest some research for a chamber reamer for the 22lr that meets your desires. A Bentz is used for target auto pistols, but does a nice job in the conversion of the No.1. Of course, one could run the Bentz in short and machine the rim recess separately, but really with the multitude of reamers for the 22lr available now, it is just a matter of reamer selection that meets your desires.

I think that the two most challenging tasks of the conversion are the new longer hook on the ejector and the moving of the firing pin within the breechblock with a stepped bushing technique. Using a little larger bushing on the oem firing pin allows for minute movements of the hit on the rim if you mismeasure slightly, ie offset bushing. Not a big deal for anyone with a set of machines.

Pretty easy to find a donor No.1 for the project now, and then add in the barrel blank and labor(500 total). You can pay more for components and labor but probably will not be any better.

This conversion is a full sized, full weight rifle. Some like that type of rifle, some prefer lighter rifles. It is all in the tastes of the particular owner.

I was somewhat pessimistic about doing the conversion, I started with the lifting arm method and then realized how much better the breechblock machining was to my eyes and needs. I have to say, that the conversion has become a favorite of mine, probably will never be reconverted back to centerfire anytime soon. I am a proponent of the movement of the firing pin technique within the breechblock now.

I have my eyes on the new 17 WSM rimfire, probably will make one up in a No.1 just to have had the experience once.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ruger #1 in 22 Rimfire, match chamber , heavy varmint barrel...
Perfect 22 paper puncher. Perfect.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
As stated several times to the query of why? Practice, practice, practice. And it is a proven method that goes back to the roots of marksmanship to practice with a rifle that matches the weight, feel and style(bolt, single, auto) as what you hunt with or practice with your hunting rifle. A 22lr, simply because it's cheap, until recently. I bet it would sell enough for a special limited run. Right now though, I would just load light load plinker loads for my hunting rifle as I can roll light '06 loads cheaper than I can buy 22lr ammo ( if you can find them). I think a No.1 in a 22 Hornet or 223 is a better bet as you can reload for it.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bricktop: Your reputation for logical things eluding YOU is well known!
I have a number of 8 pound + 22 L.R. guns.
I love them and shoot them accurately and credit part of the reason for their accuracy both at the range and in the field to their 8 pound + weight.
For proof of this logic go to any style bench rest match and lift all the Rilfes on the firing line - there is a reason for them being heavy.
It may elude you, and thats no surprise, but for those of us that are interested in "accurate Rifles" an 8 pound Rifle is starting to get there.
I would also stand in line to buy a Ruger #1-B or #1-V if they brought them out in 22 L.R.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Amen! Well said!...

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,155
Posts18,502,930
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.