-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Hmmmmm.....I never understood why you bought a VC in the first place. I knew you and George were up to something. Any hints? Perhaps that sweet little 400-.360?

Steve

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
VCs are fine rifles, they're not shot-out English vintage junkers, but they're as good as anything made today. George may disagree but VCs, Heyms, and even Chapuis will give any vintage double a run for the money quality wise.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
English Vintage Junkers..noted

Key words; as good as anything made today.

Last edited by Chipolopolo; 03/18/13.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ColKlink
VCs are fine rifles, they're not shot-out English vintage junkers, but they're as good as anything made today. George may disagree but VCs, Heyms, and even Chapuis will give any vintage double a run for the money quality wise.

And then some. The VC's is a Paul Dumas design and arguably the strongest action on the market today. Of course GOOD CONDITION English Doubles still demand what they do as well they should, but I challenge anyone to objectively compare them and make their own choices. One thing is for sure and for certain, when it comes to regulation, they older rifles just can't compete. Been there and done that.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Hi Jorge,
Hope your well. VC's are a fine rifle for what they are, a modern rifle. I contend that the classic English rifles are for one, a true investment grade firearm. Secondly, you may be hunting with a true piece of Africana. The heritage of some of these rifles is amazing.

I will also contend; most guys who painstakingly search for regulation of these things are over complicating one of life's real pleasures. I see all the targets and such and other than the hobby aspect of it don't understand the need. As you know, and I have seen you correctly state, these things are close range weapons and in comparison to their intended targets and size of the kill zone of said beast, fine shooters.

I personally have both, modern and vintage rifles. I now naturally gravitate to the history. There is just something about the workmanship of a rifle from say 1895 that is still as tight as the day it was new.

Just differing likes. I can only imaging this debate over "there" as the "VC Army" would surely take formation against my feelings.

Regards,

Steve

Last edited by Chipolopolo; 03/19/13.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Steve: Everything you say on your post I agree with when it comes to British Double rifles, however your initial post "why bother with a VC" came through as rather caustic. Of COURSE and English double is something to behold. In January I was at DSC and looked (closely) at a 250K Holland. That TWO HUNDRED FIFTY THOUSAND. I also looked at a beautiful Verney Carron in Damascus steel for 25K. I'm here to tell you the H&H had little if anything over the VC. Given a choice, I'll take a Brit any day but the Verneys are simply magnificent. Your "feelings" are your own, but your delivery well, sucks. Can't put it any plainer than that. Cheers,jorge

PS: There is a reason as to why there is a (sic) VC Army and I'm one of them...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Jorge,
Colonel Klink and I are close personal friends. If I want to tell him to go piss up a rope, he will take it as I intend it, Humor.

We got banned over at "there" for having a laugh or two. The place is so stodgy now that the African forum has the same threads on top for weeks on end.

Life is too short to not laugh at when the opportunity arises. I never once started a pissing contest over there, they just start when some old curmudgeon who know everything can't see the humor, or intended humor about.....Capstick, Gays on Safari, Mark Sullivan threads, etc, etc.

Oh and thank you for telling me my delivery sucks, I appreciate that and will work on it. This is a perfect example of how pissing contests start. You jump in and tell me my delivery sucks, when you weren't even being spoken to or about.

Last edited by Chipolopolo; 03/19/13.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I know you guys are, remember I know you guys from AR. I happen to enjoy the African Forum and that site for that matter. Been there since 01 and I've gotten into some real good donnybrooks. BTW, your bud's back there albeit under a different handle. Regardless if your post was intended to be humorous, well work on that too...I guess it must be an art, telling somebody they're full of it and not get banned..

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm not back there at all. I only post here and on Tasunkawitko's cooking forum.

-Jefferson Davis
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My Bud? Who is this person you are referring to?

Jorge,

It really seems to me that you are just looking for a fight with me. Nearly every post I make, this [bleep] starts and it is usually with you, what have I done to piss you off?

If you take me to task on something, I will not hide from you. I said something on here to a friend and you had to interject yourself into it.

If this forum is your own private domain and wish for me to be gone, Just say so. but say it on here, not in a PM. I have been friendly, polite and have tried to explain this to you and you just keep telling me, it's not humorous and my delivery "sucks".

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Steve: Everything you say on your post I agree with when it comes to British Double rifles, however your initial post "why bother with a VC" came through as rather caustic. Of COURSE and English double is something to behold. In January I was at DSC and looked (closely) at a 250K Holland. That TWO HUNDRED FIFTY THOUSAND. I also looked at a beautiful Verney Carron in Damascus steel for 25K. I'm here to tell you the H&H had little if anything over the VC. Given a choice, I'll take a Brit any day but the Verneys are simply magnificent. Your "feelings" are your own, but your delivery well, sucks. Can't put it any plainer than that. Cheers,jorge

PS: There is a reason as to why there is a (sic) VC Army and I'm one of them...

Saved

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I know you guys are, remember I know you guys from AR. I happen to enjoy the African Forum and that site for that matter. Been there since 01 and I've gotten into some real good donnybrooks. BTW, your bud's back there albeit under a different handle. Regardless if your post was intended to be humorous, well work on that too...I guess it must be an art, telling somebody they're full of it and not get banned..

saved as well smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Chipolopolo
My Bud? Who is this person you are referring to?

Jorge,

It really seems to me that you are just looking for a fight with me. Nearly every post I make, this [bleep] starts and it is usually with you, what have I done to piss you off?

If you take me to task on something, I will not hide from you. I said something on here to a friend and you had to interject yourself into it.

If this forum is your own private domain and wish for me to be gone, Just say so. but say it on here, not in a PM. I have been friendly, polite and have tried to explain this to you and you just keep telling me, it's not humorous and my delivery "sucks".

I apologize if I do Chipo. Let's just call it a day? Klink, that's not what I hear over on AR, (Silvertip?) but it's really not an issue. This is by FAR my private domain, moreover, it needs guys with the vast hunting experience you bring to the table (both of you). As for me liking your humor, I have to be honest and tell you that I just don't get it . Sorry. jorge

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jorge,

I'm not sure what they are saying over on AR as I don't even read it anymore but if there is someone they think is me I can assure you it isn't. Glad you and Chip worked things out as I think you're both good guys.

-Jefferson Davis
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not here to pick fights man, just to learn and maybe pass on what little I know on the subject of Africa.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Me neither.

-Jefferson Davis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jorge,

ColKlink is not silvertip1.

Silvertip1 is Larry root's Internet pal "22wrf" (Kevin Kolosky).

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Copy, we've corresponded. smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

335 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 26 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,848
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.