Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 303mike
I know but let me comb my hair first...

And here ladies and gentlemen is the long awaited debut of Mikes bullet
[Linked Image]

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Very nice but seated to deep for a target load. Might be fine for a hunting load though and that bullet looks well suited to that purpose.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
303mike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ranch, Thanks for posting the picture for me. I would have certainly stumbled it I had tried it.
Brent, Yes, those bullets are seated a bit deeply but please remember, I don't have my new rifle yet. I want to be fairly sure these cartridges will chamber easily for my first try.
And Kurt, I got a "buzz job" once, that was in boot camp. Yes, I've combed my hair ever since growing it back. (Of course, that was back in the "dark ages.")

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're welcome Mike. Will you be able to shoot this rifle when you get it Saturday, or are you going to have to suffer a few days before busting it's first cap?

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
303mike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ranch, I don't know but I'll have the ammo with me. After all, I'll be at my brother-in-law's place and he does have his own range... But we have other doin's too, such as looking at some property. And so far Sunday is free and clear. I really should have a shooting report by Monday.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds good Mike ,looking forward to your reaction to the rifle/cartridge and all.
I'm thinking that bullet might be a great one to shoot lube cookies or lubed wads under , and just using the blowtube, it might be a very good candidate for a "Quigley" bullet if it'll hold muster to 800 yds.
I have a tapered gibbs bullet from KAL that looks great shoots to 600 but by the time it gets to 8 it really stinks and if it land on target at 9 or 1k it's sideways..

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a picture of the Accurate 44-400b bullet our 44 fanatic from down under Gavin Dingham had Tom make up.
Looks to me like a pretty good bullet, might go ahead and have Tom make one of those up.
[Linked Image]

www.historicshooting.com
303mike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You might as well have Accurate make two of those 44-400B moulds. I'd better have one too.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I think that bullet would make a very good flat shooting hunting bullet for the .44-77 or the 90bn. The grooves are a little deeper then they need to be because most comes off the with of the exposed lube and not the depth of the lube. A groove .005" deeper then the land is deep enough anything more and you just wast the lube.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I assume you are talking about the short bullet on the right.

That is an interesting front driving band Never seen anything quite like it. But then I don't often peer at groove bullets. Is that taper doing something special, like significantly better aerodynamics, or better feeding into the chamber, or???

Seems that it might not scrape out the fouling of a previous shot quite so well. Not sure if that scraping thing really works anyway, but it was all the rage once upon a time.

Anyway, looks like it will work, but I'd be interested to hear about that front band.

IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Brent it is a crimp groove with the tube magazine in mind for the lever rifles.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Okay, that makes sense. Although with lever guns, I crimp behind the first band to keep the bullet from being driven back into the case. Admittedly, lever guns are a bit of a mystery to me however.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes that bullet traces it's roots to a bullet Accurate makes for the 444 Marlins. Gavin just had him up the sizes to be closer to the 44-77 barrels.
The bullet on the left is the copy of the postel bullet that Brooks makes for the 44-77. Same one as I had him make last year, it's a pretty decent bullet for a greaser.
I've been pestering BACO about getting their slicks up in size a few thousands for a bit better results in these Shiloh and other barrels. Guess we'll see if they want to mess with it or not.

www.historicshooting.com
303mike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My order for #44-400B went to Accurate this morning. Maybe soon I can brag about performance.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Which alloy on the blocks did you choose this time?

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We'll have to do the bullet exchange thing. I won't be doing the Accurate bullet, BACO is building the .434 bullet I asked them to.. My mould of the month club money just got spent. laugh

www.historicshooting.com
303mike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ranch, I stayed with aluminum blocks but double cavity this time. I thought about going with brass but the brass moulds are so heavy it would wear out a little guy like me. And my three other aluminum moulds from Accurate are doing just fine. And I'll want some of those BACO .434s too. I got that box of their swaged .432s with the cup base but I'll save them for a little while.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It'll be 2 probably 3 weeks before that BACO block gets here. But that's all good that gives plenty of time to work with it, before anything major comes around.
I sure do appreciate them making that bullet mould. I also suggested a 1.1 in bullet but didn't request them to make it.

www.historicshooting.com
303mike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My new Accurate mould probably won't be here for about four weeks. Tommy has been busy!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 204guy, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,926 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,611
Posts18,532,845
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.