Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Randy, at that price you can't go wrong. At the very least thay are a good inveestment as long as thay are in good condition. I thought the same way as you did at one time. I did not think I needed a 30-30 when I had bigger guns in the rack. What I found out was that I was missing out. Now I have two of them. Thay are really great with cast bullets.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Keep it away from the idiots and you'll be fine. I've never seen anyone loose an animal because they were using a .30-30. An idiot is an idiot even with a .600 Nitro Express.

100% agree with this!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My dad tried other chamberings, but the only one that stuck was his older Marlin 336. While deer, turkey, and varmints were his targets, it served him well. He quit deer hunting in the seventies, so got him a .scoped 22-250. After a few months, he gave it to his grandson and kept on using the .30-30. I never thought of it as a varmint gun, but ask the coyotes that fell to it. Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy the rifle, this pass year I got to shoot my neighbors 336 and well I am itching to find one. I will in time and I am going to put an Aimpoint on it. They are good rifles I am so sorry that I sold the one I had in 1974 I should have kept it but I was young stupid and well wanted more, I should have just kept that one and the Remington 700 and not do all the collecting and trading I did over the last 45 years. You learn with age. And youth is wasted on the young!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
buy it. It won't take up much room in your house and won't eat anything. You'll always be able to get ammo for it.

when the world ends, there will be cockroaches, Cher, and the 30-30..........

IC B2

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've killed deer with lots of different calibers, but never a .30-30. I fixed that this past season.
Bob

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Are you sure that deer is just as dead as if you shot it with a .300 win mag? Is he merely dead, or most sincerely dead?

Friend don't let friends use see through sights!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RGK
I've killed deer with lots of different calibers, but never a .30-30. I fixed that this past season.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Nice job Bob! Good looking rifle AND deer!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Another. Two cents. First deer was killed with a borrowed .30-30. Heart shot at about 75 yards, a nice buck ran about fifty yards and bled out. Field dressing showed a blown up heart.

I read that the .30-30 was not enough gun, so i got bigger, faster, and meaner rifles. I have killed a goodly number of deer over the last fifty plus years with a lot of cartridges. The only DRT kills interrupt the central nervous system. Heart lung shots give a short run, ruin little meat, no matter if it is a .243 one a .338.

I suppose I have cone full circle. I have four 336s in different configurations, along with several bolt and semi uto deer rifles. My next (and perhaps the last) deer will likely be killed with one of the .30-30s. Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yes, get a .30-30.

I did.

I wanted a common, american rimmed rifle cartridge that I can use to shoot subsonic with as little powder as possible to steeeeeereeeeeeetch my brass and powder supplies and keep me in small game and plinking at steel targets in perpetuity. Tang peeps on a .30-30 levergun lets you easily adjust for the very loopy trajectory.

Paco Kelly has an article that says he got 53 reloadings from .30-30 cases only loaded up to about 1500 fps. What about 1000 fps loads that will give you well over 1200 rounds per lb of Unique?

I shoot as often as I want, when I want - and it costs about as much as bulk rimfire but with the option to go really hot.

Oh yeah, it's vewy vewy quiet...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by alukban; 03/19/13.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With the new leveroulution powder the 30/30 is even better. I am new to marlins but the glenfeild I own has one of the best triggers in my safe! I am gonna for sure get more vintage marlins in my collection. But I also agree if you doubt a caliber why own it? unless you want to re sell it. My uncle once told me it is hard to sell a gun you do not like. True Story!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by alukban
Yes, get a .30-30.

I did.

I wanted a common, american rimmed rifle cartridge that I can use to shoot subsonic with as little powder as possible to steeeeeereeeeeeetch my brass and powder supplies and keep me in small game and plinking at steel targets in perpetuity. Tang peeps on a .30-30 levergun lets you easily adjust for the very loopy trajectory.

Paco Kelly has an article that says he got 53 reloadings from .30-30 cases only loaded up to about 1500 fps. What about 1000 fps loads that will give you well over 1200 rounds per lb of Unique?

I shoot as often as I want, when I want - and it costs about as much as bulk rimfire but with the option to go really hot.

Oh yeah, it's vewy vewy quiet...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That rifle is strikingly beautiful

“Lighten up Francis”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Love the sights on that rifle, too! Are they Lymans?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The sights were already on the rifle when I saw it on GB.

They are THE reason I bought the gun. They are Sharps Vernier sights with windage adjustable front globe and appear to be of the same vintage as the rifle (manuf 1900 from the SN). Same rust, dirt, patina.

The sights are AWESOME.

Last edited by alukban; 03/21/13.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
alukban, nice rifle. I have 10 modern Marlins, but I keep watching for the "right" 1893 or 1936 to come along. Maybe soon. I have seen a few that Turnbull has done his magic on that were outstanding in both quality and price. The one I want is out there somewhere, I just need to look harder. Jack

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Every so often you find "the one" to you on Gunbroker or your other internet meanderings. I got lucky. It could've been a dog. I didn't have the change to spare but sometimes you get the durned thing anyway because otherwise you wonder what the hayul you wake up in the morning for.

It did have few checks in the wood that were easy enough to arrest. The front sight was actually loose in the dovetail but a little persuasion with a hammer made it a tight fit again. The extractor leaf spring was not there at all - all gone. The extractor thus worked sometimes. I was dying to shoot it when I first got it home so the little ol' bean worked a miracle on the spot and I stuffed a very unelegant wad of tissue in the friggin channel in the bolt that holds the extractor. It works beautifully! I have a replacement from Numrich but I'll just hang onto it until the tissue gives out. It tries to sneak out every so often and I just stuff it back in with the reamer of my Cub Scout knife when it does. I tell folks I'm cleaning out the hole in the frizzen wink A not to precious to shoot rifle with zero bucks home jobbie repairs that ends up with a very accurate, shooting rifle... friggin GLORIOUS! smile

Last edited by alukban; 03/22/13.
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This one was just too nice to pass up...'57 Marlin 336SC. I added an old (still bright and clear) Lyman 3X, mounted low. Another .30-30 addition. This one will be whacking a pig the end of this month (March). Love the older, '50's-era Marlins.
Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 03/26/13.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (1_deuce, 300_savage, 17Fan, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1100mag, 37 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,078
Posts18,501,572
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.