Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just got invited by some guys at my church.We are going to South Dakota on a guided hunt the end of October and first few days of Nov.

This is only my second trip ever out of my state.I'm very excited.We will drive 19 hours with one overnight stop on the way.Is there any equipment beyond the obvious that you guys would suggest?

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
GET READY TO HAVE A GREAT TIME!!

Have been going out each year for the past 20, at that same time. The weather is usually pretty nice that time of year, not too much rain. But be ready for temps ranging from the high 90s to blizzard condtions, and everything in between.

If its all wild birds, I prefer a 12 GA with premium shells. The Federal Pheasants Forever load is a good one; I prefer #5s.

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
It will be wild birds on private land so we can shoot lead.I'll be taking two 12 ga guns,my Merkel SXS and a Beretta ES 100 Pintail.

My pastor went last year and had a blast.He said he shot some sort of high velocity #5 load recommended by the locals.

I have had a little knee trouble in the past and am not really looking forward to the 5 mile a day walks but I am told I can ride to the end of the field and head off the birds if my knee gets too bad.I'm just looking forward to the trip and seeing new places with new friends.

I have to get a good vest,some briar pants,and possibly a pair of lighter boots.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fiocci Golden Pheasant #5 2 3/4" 12 ga. is the best I have found and I shoot up a lot of 12 ga. in a year. Columbia Quickloader vest is impossible to beat, mine is 6-8 years old and has been used hard. Other than some fading and bloodstaining, it works just like it did on day one. For a faced brush/briar pant, I prefer one that is blue jean fabric on the upper and heavy Cordura on the lower leg. Wrangler makes a really good pair of this type of pant. Some Merino wool long johns and a good insulated/wind/waterproof top and you'll be in business. I also like to throw a fleece beanie in one of my vest pockets in case the wind gets nasty. I have bad knees as well and have found that a neoprene brace is very helpful in keeping me going when there are lots of miles being walked in a day - That and some Advil. You're going to have a blast! I have never seen the numbers of pheasants that I saw while hunting in SD. You can still only shoot a limit, but it's fun to hunt a field and kick up 3-400 birds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What Natty said about the weather though it's not that bad. Weather patterns are unstable that time of the year. You can have southerly breezes push up warm air and be 20 degrees above normal one day. Jet stream shifts and a cold front blows through overnight and the next day is 20 below normal. Around that time of year I use an uninsulated hunting coat and take a hooded sweatshirt and down vest just in case. Prepare to layer. And an uninsulated vest in case the weather swings the other way. Since you're not packing in it's easy enough to keep a couple options in a small bag with your shells etc. and leave it in the truck. Depends on what part of the state too, it's that big and diverse.

Socks, get good socks. Have briar pants but never really needed them except would've been handy a couple times on state land that had been left wild for some years. I just wear jeans. For the most part it's easy walking and on a guided hunt you should be accommodated. Five miles? Ive never walked that far pheasant hunting.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I was told 5 miles but maybe my pastor doesn't have a good concept of distance.He is an avid hunter though and has hunted several species all around the US.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes it seems that way. I hunt with a cousin who insists on walking the dirtiest slough bottoms you can imagine! Even the dogs end up letting us "break trail." Then there is a river that loops through property his in-laws used to own. Probably not much more than a quarter mile walk but rough going makes it seem like a mile.

I've been on only one guided hunt and that was in the eastern part of the state. It was a game farm and friends were invited for a cleanup hunt at the end of the season. Then it was a matter of determining which of several fields the birds were in. Fields are bigger around the Missouri but five miles is a long way. But easy going unless it's just been chisel plowed. Untilled land can have animal burrows to step into, good ankle support is important.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The weather range is very real that time of year. Bring layered clothing and raingear. Light + medium gloves as well.

Lip balm in case of windy/dry day. Sounds simple, but trust me and bring some.

The pheasant have been really good the past couple years on public land; you should limit out very quickly.

OH! Bring a camera and a smile grin

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I do a lot of bird hunting and would recommend the Federal Pheasants Forever or the Fiocchis in #5s as mentioned.

I have walked 5 miles many times in a day pheasant hunting and 10 miles multiple times per year. I have even put on 5 miles in snowshoes once! Sooo, that leads me to suggest...

1. Good boots. Better yet GREAT boots. Make sure they are well broke in and you wont get blisters. Gore Tex.
2. Merino wool socks and base layer.
3. I like using multiple thin layers of clothing. Typically Merino wool. I usually overheat on a pheasant hunt. Being from Alabama, you might not. Dont bring a big heavy jacket.
4. Be prepared for wind. Have some type of ear covering for those cold windy days. I like a neck gaiter.
5. If there is snow or wet conditions, you cannot beat a pair of waterproof gaiters or chaps for your lower legs. I mostly use regular jeans and chaps these days unless it is really cold and snowy where I might go to wool pants and gaiters.
6. I like a thin pair of leather gloves that are well broken in. Leave the thick gloves at home.
7. Items I bring with me are water, disposable hand warmers if it is going to be really cold, and a camera. Take a break from shooting once in awhile and snap some pictures. You will be happy you did.
8. I like to wear safey glasses as well, especially when hunting with others.
9. Did I mention boots? Dont skimp on boots. 2 pairs. Danners, Schnees, Kennetrek or similiar. I cannot stress this enough.
10. Modified choke will suit you well with those shells.
11. Practice before you go. Pheasants are harder to hit than many think and you need to hit them hard to get them down for the count. They will have been hunted for a few weeks before you get there, so they may be wild.

Two last pieces of advice...watch the dogs. Constantly be monitoring the dogs. They will tell you when they are birdy. Many beginners forget to watch the dogs and then are surprised and not ready when a bird flushes....which is a nice transition to....BE READY. The two handed carry is best when hunting. many beginners spend that precious time as a bird flushes fumbling with their gun when it isnt being held ready for action. That turns an easy shot into a hard shot.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First aid kit for the dog, spare boots and the best socks money can buy.......and take a ton of pics.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And a boot dryer.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lip balm in case of windy/dry day. Sounds simple, but trust me and bring some.

Yes! Definitely! Forgot about that as it's a constant. Probably a tube in every hunting garment right now. And always big lens shooting glasses for the wind when I wore contacts.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bring an extra shotgun, and practice with both of them LOTS!
Whether you are huntign over pointers or flushes, do not try and tell the dogs where to go or scond guessthem - VERY important!!
As was stated watch them close, and when the tails start going hard or they start to stiffen up, get ready.
I like to try and be upwind but if it's a strong day quite often the brd will turn real quick and instead of a crossing or incoming shot . you end up with a back shot .
A quick note on centering shots properly, concentrate on the beak of the bird and swing through on that, not the whole body of the bird.
That will inscrease your chances of a quick kill.
I don't know what the ground is like where you are going to hunt, but where we hunt briar proof pants or upland chaps are a must have, as well as skid plates for the pooches.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks guys,I appreciate all the advice and tips.I'll post a bunch of pictures for you when I get back.

I'll be planning this all summer.I'm a research and detail oriented person.I've been looking at everything from socks to hats.

I only own 2 good 12ga shotguns.One is a model 8 Merkel with 28" barrels in modified and full.The other is a Beretta ES 100 Pintail 28" barrel with 3 chokes.The Pintail has the Benelli Inerita system and I figure to use it in the bad weather.I'm already shooting skeet with both and all of us that are going plan to dove hunt together in Sept.

At one time I shot a lot of skeet breaking 100 several times and always in the 90 percentile.I haven't done any serious shotgunning in 20 years but it is starting to come back.All of us guys from the church are getting together every 2-3 weeks and shooting skeet.I had more fun shooting last Sun than I have in a lot of years.

I'm going to really enjoy this trip.Just having some new friends is an awesome experience.I haven't hung out with the guys in 20 years either.When I got saved 19 years ago,all of my old "FRIENDS" stopped inviting me hunting.I would never have condemned them for anything or been preachy but I guess they were uncomfortable with me around anyway.

For 17 years I was in a church with few men my age and none of them were sportsmen.My new pastor has hunted all over the west and several men in the church actually speak "GUN".I knewmy new pastor when I was 15 and he was 30.He bought me a spotting scope and shooting mat when I shot juinor smallbore in the club he belonged to.It's just amazing to meet an old friend again after so many years and different paths.

Well,enough for now.
Randy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take your Merkel and leave it open until the dogs get birdy- your guide will appreciate it!
As far as being saved goes, if they were truly friends, they would not have worried about that IMO.
I don't drink or smoke, quit many years ago, but everybody I hunt with sure does, including my son - no sweat for anyone.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I feel the same way Cat.I don't see anything wrong with a relaxing drink,in front of a warm fire with friends,after a fine hunt and I can laugh with you with or without a drink.I don't mind you smoking either as long as I can crack a window and get some air now and again.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
KUDOS for getting right to shooting practice early. We mostly hunt grouse/wc at home up here and skeet is great practice for it. But I think 5-stand has more realistic presentations resembling the shots I see out there on pheasants. We hunt over flushing dogs mostly, Spaniels and Labs, and many of the shots are hard crossers or back over the shoulders.

And IF you are a blocker, many will be up high and coming back over your head. Take both guns and practice with both.

Look forward to yr trip report.

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You're getting good advice. Some sound tips here. Enjoy, some of the nicest people in the world live in SD. You'll be treated as well as you ever have been by genuinely decent folks. Love SD and the people there. And the hunting....got a nice tom with my bow last year in Gregory, SD. One of the best trips ever.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (222Sako, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 1,771 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,326
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.