Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting, is it not, that once our restrictions went in place we have seen MORE deer, BETTER deer, etc.... VS what Blackheart thinks is happening.

BUT it may be that way in his state. I"ll say I"ve seen some messed up regs in some states that while trying to move forward, actually move backwards...

An example is we had doe days here. I could have told em it wouldn't work. The greedy local SOBs who simply wanted deer, loved it.... and flat massacred every last do they legally could on those weekends.
Instead of thinning the herd, it almost decimated it.

I"d always said, 1 doe legal during bow will help but not hurt. And beyond that count your deer and apply for a permit, but there used to never be a permit system in place locally. Now there is and it allows folks that need excess taken, to do it legally while not allowing ANYONE to shoot bunches of them...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by milespatton
I do have deer and could set up a stand and kill some but I just don't care for stand hunting and would quickly get bored

And I enjoy sitting on my land and seeing what is there.
Who are you to tell me that I am wrong? miles
You can do whatever the [bleep] you want on your land and I promise you I don't give a schit. What I do give a schit about is that guys like you always want to dictate to me what I can do on my land or on public land and seek to cram your [bleep] up management practices down my throat by clamoring for laws imposing antler restictions on me that suit your agenda. We are embattled in that fight here in NY right now because guys like you don't want me to be able to kill one of their pet bucks before it's time when it wanders over onto my land.
Anyone eles catch that part about here in NY ? and NY'ers wonder why so many hate their ass's with guys like this as an example

Last edited by ldholton; 04/02/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone eles catch that part about here in NY ?

It ain't the first rant of his that I noticed that. I have to think they are all like that, but it is more common than any place other than Tennessee, and that is limited to the one bunch that showed up all of a sudden. crazy miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
See, there you go again.......you're so good at being a prick you don't even have to try.

Don't have to be a mind reader when you lay it out there for everyone to see.

And, speaking of "mind readers"........does any of this sound familiar??

In reality, all of your "management efforts" are aimed at making it easier to kill deer

What I do give a schit about is that guys like you always want to dictate to me what I can do on my land or on public land and seek to cram your [bleep] up management practices down my throat by clamoring for laws imposing antler restictions on me that suit your agenda.

I've been dealing with guys like you {vociferous proponents of QDM and antler rerstrictions} at the council meetings for far too long to buy it.

How is it that you KNOW so much about the motives and intentions of people you have never met and know nothing about.....are you a mind reader??

That's the motive of the whole goddam QDM/food plot planting/ buck culling/ nutrient feeding crowd across the Country and I don't give a rat's azz how much you try to candy coat it and/or deny it. I've met hundreds of them at the council meetings here and without exception they are all the same.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
GFY

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Interesting, is it not, that once our restrictions went in place we have seen MORE deer, BETTER deer, etc.... VS what Blackheart thinks is happening.
The truth is, there are already too many deer in many areas across the country and it's no different here. NYDEC has all it can do to keep the herd within carrying capacity in much of the state and simply hasn't been able to in some areas. We sure as hell don't need any restrictions aimed at increasing the size of the herd. Furthermore, we've already had an experimental "pilot area" with antler restrictions in place for six years now. While it is true that there has been a slight increase in the numbers of 2.5 and 3.5 year old bucks harvested in the pilot area, the overall buck take has decreased dramatically and the number of "trophy quality" bucks has remained nearly unchanged. What it all boils down to is there are fewer hunters filling their buck tags and no more getting those wall hangers they want so badly. In other words it's been a "nobody wins" situation.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Which is why I mentioned you can't be tunnel visioned.

It works in some areas and evidently in other areas it needs to be done differently.

For here, I used to hear some complaints RE the rules, now I've heard no one thats unhappy at all. Which means we were NOT at capacity. And that the rules have allowed us to move that direction.

Our buck take has skyrocketed, and the age class of bucks has risen from mostly 1.5s to mostly 3.5 to 4.5s

Which means that you have not met everyone involved in these things. Some work and some don't. And not everyone is about the antlers only. OF course its hard to defend that last sentence when IF you manage it correctly you often end up with the latter.

For us its an everyone wins situation.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's the motive of the whole goddam QDM/food plot planting/ buck culling/ nutrient feeding crowd across the Country and I don't give a rat's azz how much you try to candy coat it and/or deny it. I've met hundreds of them at the council meetings here and without exception they are all the same.

......and all New Yorkers are just like Schumer, Bloomberg, Cuomo........

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
......and all New Yorkers are just like Schumer, Bloomberg, Cuomo........

They will never get it. They screwed up their world and then want to tell the rest of us how to ruin ours, by telling us how smart they are and how dumb we are. miles

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Didn't mean to be a prick buddy, sorry for the nasty comment. The trouble I see with "culling" is that what "you" consider a cull isn't neccesarily a "natural" cull as nature doesn't seem to care about antlers. Conversely, what you consider a buck worth "passing" may really be a less desireable animal, as it may have some genetic flaw that makes it less suitable for survival in the natural world. Like for instance, lower ability to avoid predation, which is actually quite obvious if you had to "pass" him in order for him to survive.

Had some time to reread some of the posts.

Because I see a deer it needs to die? What kind of management is that? Just because I managed to see it, its not a survivor? Gimme a break. I run a game cam almost all year most of the time. Whitetails are creatures of habit and typically in a year I see every deer I also have pics of.
Average that I only don't see maybe 2-3 of those I have pictures of.

By following your logic I'd need to decimate my deer herd because they are "stupid"....

There is some of that around though.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gon,
You know what they say about arguing with a fool.
Hit the "ignore" button and keep up the good work.

BTW Cameras are fun. Especially if you don't live
directly on the land and get to observe the various
types of game everyday.

stumpy

Last edited by stumpy; 04/03/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stumpy
Gon,
You know what they say about arguing with a fool.
Hit the "ignore" button and keep up the good work.

BTW Cameras are fun. Especially if you don't live
directly on the land and get to observe the various
types of game everyday.

stumpy

Yep, I know you can't fix stupid!! grin

I have never used cameras on my place and don't have the deer that visit my property "cataloged", but I have nothing against using them and plan to purchase some this year.......I don't have anything against feeders either.......I have used them in the past on different property.

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never used cameras on my place and don't have the deer that visit my property "cataloged", but I have nothing against using them and plan to purchase some this year.......I don't have anything against feeders either

I have two feeders out and a camera over each one, but I do not hunt or allow others to hunt over the feeders. I keep them out year round but during the deer season there are deer that show up that are new and others that do not show up. I was allowed four deer last year but took only two bucks and no does. I hunt nearly every day of a long season and let many deer walk past me, lest the season be over too quick. I don't really have a plan but there are certain things that will get a deer dead when I see it. Having a lot of points on one side and few on the other is one of them. We have that in our herd but I doubt that it will ever be gone but it gives me a goal. miles

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might want to take a look at Joe Brooks at... http://manvswhitetail.com/mvw/Home.html

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Killed this buck a few years ago on a lease we had........he was old.......I had never seen him before and I knew what he was when I pulled the trigger.......he is a "trophy" to me just because he is a freak........so much for the idea that all we care about is "antler symmetry, spread, number of points etc"............

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Killed this one a couple years later.......antler characteristics sure make me think this is a son of the freak.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Again, he doesn't "score well", doesn't have a lot of points and is far from being symmetrical, but he is a trophy to me.......

Oh yeah......not that it really matters, but neither were killed anywhere near a food plot or feeder....... grin

Cancer Sucks
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You can shoot out genetic traits for the most part. We did on a lease we had. Took almost 10 years but we rarely saw a buck without brow tines after that time. Prior to it we killed probably 6-7 the first year and for a few years after.. then down to a few....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Feeding deer is completely illegal here because it is a proven fact that concentrating deer at feeders spreads disease like CWD. So much for the "management" crowd doing what they do because it's "good for the deer". As I said, most of what is done is simply to make it easier to kill deer and particularly larger bucks.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You can shoot out genetic traits for the most part. We did on a lease we had. Took almost 10 years but we rarely saw a buck without brow tines after that time. Prior to it we killed probably 6-7 the first year and for a few years after.. then down to a few....
But are those genetic traits hunters choose to "shoot out" really undesireable to the natural state and suitability to survival of those deer or just what is most desireable to you as a hunter ? Anyone who is honest already knows the answer to that.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Didn't mean to be a prick buddy, sorry for the nasty comment. The trouble I see with "culling" is that what "you" consider a cull isn't neccesarily a "natural" cull as nature doesn't seem to care about antlers. Conversely, what you consider a buck worth "passing" may really be a less desireable animal, as it may have some genetic flaw that makes it less suitable for survival in the natural world. Like for instance, lower ability to avoid predation, which is actually quite obvious if you had to "pass" him in order for him to survive.

Had some time to reread some of the posts.

Because I see a deer it needs to die? What kind of management is that? Just because I managed to see it, its not a survivor? Gimme a break. I run a game cam almost all year most of the time. Whitetails are creatures of habit and typically in a year I see every deer I also have pics of.
Average that I only don't see maybe 2-3 of those I have pictures of.

By following your logic I'd need to decimate my deer herd because they are "stupid"....

There is some of that around though.
There are limits on how many deer you can shoot per year based on overall population numbers and the carrying capacity of the land. Therefore you would certainly not be required by anyone to kill every deer you see, stupid.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Feeding deer is completely illegal here because it is a proven fact that concentrating deer at feeders spreads disease like CWD. So much for the "management" crowd doing what they do because it's "good for the deer". As I said, most of what is done is simply to make it easier to kill deer and particularly larger bucks.

A guy from New York banning something......imagine that.......here's a news flash for you skippy......CWD has never been found in wild deer in my state.......difficult to spread something that doesn't exist......

As far as concentrating deer.......deer are very efficiently concentrated here every fall.......by the oaks and persimmons.......I suppose they should be illegal too??

Tell you what........we won't tell you how to run things in New York........and you don't tell us how to run things in Free America.........and, by all means, PLEASE stay in New York, we have more than enough of your kind polluting our states as it is!!

Cancer Sucks
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

360 members (17CalFan, 06hunter59, 160user, 1badf350, 163bc, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 1,398 guests, and 1,029 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,216
Posts18,524,414
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.