Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I think this year I am going to purchase a Gransfors ax I am leaning more towards the wildlife hatchet as opposed to the mini. I am not to concerned with ultralight hiking as most of my trips are overnight or two days at most. Also any recommendations on a aftermarket sheaths. I plan on buying two one for a gift

Last edited by Irving_D; 04/04/13.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Cold Steel Trail Hawk here. The head can't fly off of it.

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks but I am partial to the Gransfors. I have a dozen or so hatchets. But after seeing the ones posted on here they seem to be in a class by themselves

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used the wildlife for a few yrs and it has not let me down. No experience with the mini, it looks "cute" and I can't see it being as functional as the wildlife.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have several of the GB axes . The Small forest does the most work for the least weight. SFA goes most of the time..

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Wildlife - but watch how you pack it, the blade is beyond scary sharp.

We carry one in saddle bag about everywhere during hunting season.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have the Granfors Bruks Small Forrest axe, and feel I could have gotten away with Something smaller. For a little axe it will do some work, but its a little on the cumbersome side to carry for me. I have a Bruks and a Wetterlings, I dont see a big difference in quality myself. If I did it over I would just have gotten a 10" or 13" Wetterlings, and been happier.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The Outdoors ax for a small ax an the Small Forest for a bigger ax.

Ed T

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great thread. Where is the best place to buy these?

Eric

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I just realized the damn auto correct had spelled the name wrong. I think my initial thought of going with the wildlife hatchet for starters. Being able to stop at one may be the hard part

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I had the Wildlife hatchet and currently have the Forest axe, much prefer the 25" Forest axe, if I absolutely had to go smaller, I would use a Small Forest axe.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
the mini is really designed for breaking down moose & elk. my 9 in. siegle knife will chop wood much better although it's heavier.--cranky72

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have several axes, spent most of the past 60 years cutting wood, in forestry and other bush involvements; I like the Small Forest Axe, intend to buy one this summer. I do have two Wetterlings, choose the handles VERY carefully, the heads are not quite as carefully shaped, but, the steel and treating shows no difference that I can see.

I don't really care for hatchets, have an Estwing I used in the BCFS starting in 1969, still sound, but, a large Bowie for batoning, a "boy's axe" and a 2.5-3" Iltis Oxhead work best for me. For game I like a Wyoming Saw and a pair of D2 3-4" droppoints plus the Small Forest Axe.

I also love the 2-2.25 Lb-28-32" helved Hudson Bay Axe, but, I have not seen one I would pay 5 pence for since the '70s. I used ro have one made here in Canada and it was good, but, can't recall the brand.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it hasn't already been said, the 'hockey puck' stone that GB sells is a must have IMO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I looked at the mini and the wildlife hatchet. Couldn't see the mini being much more functional than a large sheath knife so I went with the wildlife hatchet and love it. Big enough to drive tent stakes and split kindling etc without being too heavy. It comes with a nice leather sheath.
While not a particularly useful skill it is also well balanced and rather easy to throw. It is fun and rather satisfying to watch it twack and stick into the side of a tree albeit a bit hard on the trees.

It's just a very nice little hatchet.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Irving_D
I think this year I am going to purchase a Gransfors ax I am leaning more towards the wildlife hatchet as opposed to the mini. I am not to concerned with ultralight hiking as most of my trips are overnight or two days at most. Also any recommendations on a aftermarket sheaths. I plan on buying two one for a gift

I have/had both the Mini and the Wildlife.

Sold the Wildlife because it was too much of an inbetweener grin.
Too big for backpacking and too small for car camping- the Small Forest will solve that.

Some outstanding vendors that have some models of GB:

http://www.treemanknives.com/

http://www.michiganknives.com/Camping_Work_Tools.html

http://www.agrussell.com/default.asp

As far as an aftermarket sheath I would go kydex.
The blade won't slice through it, it will firmly retain, and won't hold moisture like leather...

http://www.kiahdex.com/

[Linked Image]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by Irving_D

I have/had both the Mini and the Wildlife.

Sold the Wildlife because it was too much of an inbetweener grin.
Too big for backpacking and too small for car camping- the Small Forest will solve that.

Some outstanding vendors that have some models of GB:

http://www.treemanknives.com/

http://www.michiganknives.com/Camping_Work_Tools.html

http://www.agrussell.com/default.asp

As far as an aftermarket sheath I would go kydex.
The blade won't slice through it, it will firmly retain, and won't hold moisture like leather...

http://www.kiahdex.com/

[Linked Image]
I love the fiskars currently my favorite axe for the money. I am curious about your other two setups. The one looks almost like a machete and paring knife combo

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Irving, that pic is from Kiahdex and an example of his kydex sheath work on a hatchet/ax.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Very good video Rob. I watched it once before I played more attention to it this time. Everyone that uses a axe should see it

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,470
Posts18,471,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.