Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TysonT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Okay, so let me start off by saying that I do a small time bow tuning operation as an at home business (I don't stock or sell bows/accessories yet); just tuning, arrow cutting, and other basic stuff. But I just have to vent a little bit about what a good friend of mine was told at a larger "actual" bow retail shop the other day.

He is trading in a bow that I had tuned for him, after is was poorly set up by the shop he bought it from (not the shop I'm about to talk about). He has a QAD rest that was not installed correctly, the cord was cut too short on from the original shop, but we opted to use it instead of switching it out and the way it was tied in/on was just screwed up. SO I fixed that; and it shot perfectly. And his peep was not in the correct place for him, so I moved it and got it aligned correctly for him. And all was good in the world, except for a slight twist in the peep, which I knew would happen until he shot it some (it was a brand new bow, and he's not the type to shoot every day to get the strings trained right); but I told him we can adjust it once the strings get a few arrows shot on them and things settle in... he never brought it back or mentioned a problem.

So anyway he takes it to "the other shop" to get traded in and the owner basically chews him out for letting someone tie in a peep. He tried to tell my buddy to NEVER tie in a peep and all sorts of other bs about how its bad and what not. He also chewed him out about the QAD cord being too short (which I agree, but it worked right and my buddy didn't want to mess with it since it was working great).

Anyway, I've met with and shot with engineers and pro shooters from the "big 3" and a few other big shops a few years back, and they all said "tie in your peep sights... always". The guys from Schaffer Archery even told us about a guy that had a bow explode and his peep (not tied in correctly) shot out of the string and ended up behind the shooters eyeball (this is a real story, no joke). And I've always tied them in.

Now, has anyone else ever heard of how tying in a peep been a "stupid" method? I just cant fathom not doing it, especially when I've been told by the best in the business to do it, and even the manufacturers directions say to do it. IMO this other guy is a joke, but that's just my opinion I guess. Through the years I've fixed and tuned several bows that the other two shops have jacked up, never heard a complaint about my work, until this other shop owner about had an stroke about my buddies bow. My buddy blew him off and just told him to sell him a new bow and not worry about the set-up of his old one.

Any thoughts.

Last edited by TysonT; 03/23/13.

A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life.

The King of Battle!

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
when I shot a compound, my peep was tied in by the bowyer, and he has been shooting hunting and competition since before the world was made.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Tyson, you know the King exists only to support the Queen of Battle, who is there to provide ground support to the Armor. smile

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Tell your bud to google 'tying in a peep sight' on u tube.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
TysonT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dogger
Tyson, you know the King exists only to support the Queen of Battle, who is there to provide ground support to the Armor. smile

Yep, and she is a whiny bitch. shocked And don't even get me started on Armor guys... Funny part is that I've spent the majority of my FA officer career serving in infantry company as an FSO and as a Battalion rear detachment commander. Love the infantry guys, most Soldiers that don't know me well, but know of me assume I'm an Infantry Officer. Thank god I got my own battery now, since they don't give those to IN guys. grin

Last edited by TysonT; 03/23/13.

A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life.

The King of Battle!

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I was branched Armor but only had two visits to Knox... Most of my schooling was at Benning as well. What would the infantry do without armor and artillery? smile My son just got out of the army after 8 years in artillery... he already misses it.

TysonT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dogger
I was branched Armor but only had two visits to Knox... Most of my schooling was at Benning as well. What would the infantry do without armor and artillery? smile My son just got out of the army after 8 years in artillery... he already misses it.

They would just sit around and play video games with out us. cool

The King of Battle!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
When I shot compounds I had my peep tied in as well. What is their reasoning behind not tying it in. Strings are relatively cheap( compared to an eyeball) and can be replaced fairly easy. Sounds like banter to screw him out of a few bucks. If so sell it in the classifieds and don't buy anything from that store.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
TysonT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't know the reasoning behind not tying it in; but from my friends story, he was trying to tell him it causes string twist (which it could if not done right) and going on about how it's bad for the string(?) or some BS like that. That's why I'm so confused about the whole situation. Well, that and the dude was basically telling my buddy I didn't know what the hell I was doing. In reality I think he was just trying to snake more money from my friend to tune his gear in the future.

I guess I'd rather take my chances and stick with what I have always done, then risk a customer or friend being injured by some stupid ass advice that this guys tosses around like the gospel.

I personally will never buy anything from this jerk, let alone step foot in his shop. I guess I'm the sort of person that would rather run an "up and up" type of business and be honest with my customers, instead of trying to rip guys off, attempt to sound like king-$hit, and unjustifiably trash talk other peoples work.

Last edited by TysonT; 03/24/13.

The King of Battle!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
So, why would your friend want to buy a new bow from this guy?

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Don't sweat it, we have a local shop that is the same way. The owner berates every peice of work/tuning and set-up that he hasn't done. I've asked for help on gear several times, just got the bluster that I didn't know what I wanted, and no valid reasons for why I was "wrong".

After I watched him nearly bend a riser in two on a $1K bow on a press because he didn't pay attention on how to set the press up, I quit taking anything in, other than arrows to be cut.

I now drive 50+ miles away to a shop with American flag on wall that I flew for them in Afghanistan, and that I can talk to about set-ups and opinions. Haven't been called stupid there, have been at the first place.

Army Aviation, but Armor schooled, Infantry trained, and Artillery supported.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Exactly why I do it myself. All I need the pro shop for is to sell me the bow.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
TysonT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
So, why would your friend want to buy a new bow from this guy?

Because he got offered a "too good to refuse price" for his old bow. And because I don't sell bows (yet), just tune them, and cut arrows.

I don't/won't stress about the situation though; heard plenty of other complaints about that shop too (seems like that is always part of the biz though, everyone prefers some other shop for one reason or another).

Glad to see I'm not the only person that has experienced something like this though.

The King of Battle!

TysonT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by centershot
Exactly why I do it myself. All I need the pro shop for is to sell me the bow.

That's exactly why I started my own tuning business, all my buddies were bringing their stuff to me to fix anyway, and I trust very few other guys with my bows. I won't take money from them, but their word of mouth advertising is well worth it.

Last edited by TysonT; 03/30/13.

The King of Battle!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
How will a peep stay where it's supposed to if it's not tied in??

This town start with a " W " by chance?? Tyson, don't forget to PM me, the carp will be running soon !

Cowardice is the greatest pandemic that has ever affected mankind.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
It's called archery god syndrome many pro shop employees are guilty of this. the experience of success with one method or another drives people to feel the need to stress their way is the only way. as with all things in life there is more than one way to skin a cat. after years in the industry a tech shouldn't need to pick apart another persons work they should let their work speak for itself.

Think i need a bigger gun

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1minute, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 48 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,036
Posts18,500,707
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.