-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For every boom there is a bust, this sort of thing goes on all the time, The real question is when the Bloom comes off the Chinese Rose, were is the prices of a lot of commodities are going to decline. Look what has happened with ammo, their has been a lot of panic buying you could almost say ammo has become a commodity of sore something that can be traded for other goods and services. At some point its going to go bust, these things always do. Its the herd mentality, get people to panic, and in a panic people tend not to make good decisions. Lest face it with gold you had a lot of heavy advertising to buy it because of well you can name any issue you want. Gold will end up were the market place wants it. So you are fine right now if you bought all your gold at 200 an oz, you are not if you bought your gold at 1800 an oz. Its sort of like what happened with silver in the 1980's when a couple of Texans tried to corner the market. They dam near when bankrupt as I recall.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gmsemel
For every boom there is a bust
Only problem is gold prices haven't been in a boom. They've been a simple mathematical response to expanding currency supply. What's happening now is emotion-driven. Eventually, reality sets back in, however.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Longbob
I think I believe MacLorry's experience over yours.
Don't trust me. Do what I did. Call them and ask why the online process that's normally smooth is constantly crashing during the sale process. They'll tell you it's heavy volume. Then try getting an agent on the phone, or even getting one to call you back. Same deal. Unusually heavy sales volume is the reason they'll tell you.

I am sure it is heavy volume due to sale. You said "The metals selling websites are all crashing and burning with the number of folks clamoring to buy."

The markets today say there weren't enough buyers in case you missed it.

I still believe MacLorry over you. He is reasoned, intelligent, and has a clue.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I think I believe MacLorry's experience over yours.
Don't trust me. Do what I did. Call them and ask why the online process that's normally smooth is constantly crashing during the sale process. They'll tell you it's heavy volume. Then try getting an agent on the phone, or even getting one to call you back. Same deal. Unusually heavy sales volume is the reason they'll tell you.

I am sure it is heavy volume due to sale. You said "The metals selling websites are all crashing and burning with the number of folks clamoring to buy."
Very funny. The selling was being done by the sites. Folks crashing the systems were trying to pick up bargains.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Gold isn't a bargain.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Gold isn't a bargain.
I'm glad you don't think it is. I recommend you hold off till it reaches bottom. laugh

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MacLorry
The yield is so low on TIPS that there's little downside risk from that aspect. TIPS are being used as a safe-haven when stocks are in retreat, like today. Unlike gold, there's no built-in spread between the buy and sell price of TIPS and if you hold them through a mutual fund, they pay dividends.

The trick will be to sell them at the right time.

The yield being so low is exactly why there is a risk of downside in rising interest rates. The low rate creates an unusually long duration. Long duration bonds react inversely to interest rates.

TIPS risk article 1

TIPS risk article 2

TIPS risk video

It really starts at about the 2:45 mark. The interviewer brings up the ability to get out of them quickly if needed. You can see the manager's hesitation of even he being able to do it in a timely fashion.

I realize you have done well in the TIPS and you should have with the longer duration favoring them with lowering rates. My comments about caution is when rates rise due to inflation. That is what can take the TIPS investors by surprise.

Thanks for the info. Like I said the trick will be to sell them at the right time.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I agree, bud.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ribka
if you know of a safe place to invest would love to know. I got out of the market at 14000 and stop buying gold at $1300. Sold off gold last December

Here is my recommendation. . . . can't recommend it enough. Very safe. Max you can lose on any single stock pick is 7-8%. Gains are unlimited but recommended to be take at 20-25%.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by Esox357
I will be buying if it does drop low! Need to enter the market sometime and expand.
So what's low?

$32 an Oz.

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
In overseas trading Tuesday gold prices rebounded by 1.2%. We'll see what happens today and if the US markets tick up it might signal some sort of bottom has been reached.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Up sixty-two dollars so far this morning. I hope you all took advantage of yesterday's one day fire sale. I sure stocked up. You can bet the central banks did, too.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Up sixty-two dollars so far this morning. I hope you all took advantage of yesterday's one day fire sale. I sure stocked up. You can bet the central banks did, too.

[Linked Image]

By the time the stock market closed today gold was up just $12.52 from yesterday's historic fall. Given the DJIA recovered more than half its loss today, I'm cautious about buying gold at this time.

I know there's lots of speculation as to why gold has been on the decline since its 4th quarter 2012 level, but historically investors move money to where they get the best return for a given level of risk. If that's what's driving the price of gold then if the stock market rally continues gold's drop will continue. Seeing the stock market rising is likely what turned the price of gold back down from earlier highs today.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure "buy now or be priced out forever" is going to work this time around for gold.

But eventually it will be the US' turn at the devaluation trough and gold will shine again. Trouble is Japan jumped into the trough with both feet a few weeks ago, China looks like they are cracking and need to do likewise, and Europe looks like they are next in line. May be a long wait till we get our chance again.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Up $33.00 since yesterday's close at this point. Early morning buying drove it up to $60.00+. Bargain seekers got their buys in, then it dropped, but still up $33.00. But this short term stuff is pretty meaningless in the big picture, as was yesterday and Friday.

Here's Peter Schiff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

YES
Originally Posted by MacLorry
Fox News: Are We About to See a Global Gold Selling Spree?

If the price goes down a few hundred bucks per ounce then I hope the Fed creates some more money out of thin air to buy gold. That will keep the price up, and if there's a finical crisis in the future they can sell the gold then. Interesting how the Fed can seemingly create gold out of thin air. Of course, central banks have been doing that for a long time.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Gold ain't near bout as important as a home grown garden!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here's Peter Schiff

Here's Al Gore on global warming smirk

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The difference is that Peter Schiff has proven credibility. Not so with your hero Gore.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Penguin
I'm not sure "buy now or be priced out forever" is going to work this time around for gold.

But eventually it will be the US' turn at the devaluation trough and gold will shine again. Trouble is Japan jumped into the trough with both feet a few weeks ago, China looks like they are cracking and need to do likewise, and Europe looks like they are next in line. May be a long wait till we get our chance again.

Will
Our chance to profit buying gold, you mean?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,456
Posts18,471,117
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.