Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
More woes with the M-9 and you should see the face of the poor sailor who got whacked:
[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Not good, I hope the man recovers

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That is why the SEALS ditched that pistol a LONG time ago.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
He has a deep cut on this face, right above his lip and under his nose (slightly right),in the exact pattern of the back of the slide. He's going to be OK.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wow... and 'OW'!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If that was a military gun, then it didn�t get the upgrade. If it�s a civilian or LE pistol, they were not recalled by Beretta. If that�s the case, I�d say the individual would be well within his rights to bring suit against Beretta for not recalling those pistols. This is a well known issue that should have been dealt with. http://thegunzone.com/m9-a.html

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What happened? I've probably shot more 9's out of Beretta's than any other brand. Lots of them were HOT too. Details?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
He has a deep cut on this face, right above his lip and under his nose (slightly right),in the exact pattern of the back of the slide. He's going to be OK.

Ah yes, the famous M9 Tellurium beauty mark.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More woes with the M-9 and you should see the face of the poor sailor who got whacked:
[Linked Image]

At least it didn't hit his eye.

I'd sure like to see good photos of the fractures. Tough to tell from here, but they look brittle

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The photos came in on the DoN side of the wire this morning. "victim" was a USN AD type. It's been hashed here before, but military 9mm ammo is loaded very hot, I think so they can reliably work on the MP-5? Anyhow,as I prediceted, Alloy framed M-9s are not holding up to the rigors of military abuse. It appears the weapon had in excess of 30K rounds though it so I will "pull back" a little on my disdain for this firearm...and the cartridge of course smile

Last edited by jorgeI; 04/17/13.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The photos came in on the DoN side of the wire this morning. "victim" was a USN AD type. It's been hashed here before, but military 9mm ammo is loaded very hot, I think so they can reliably work on the MP-5? Anyhow,as I prediceted, Alloy framed M-9s are not holding up to the rigors of military abuse. It appears the weapon had in excess of 30K rounds though it so I will "pull back" a little on my disdain for this firearm...and the cartridge of course smile
I've owned two or three. After reading the article and attendant commentary here over the years, no more M9 for me.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Out of curiosity, can a frame break like that without visible cracks forming before it seperates?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It would be highly unusual.

A brittle fracture implies little or no plastic deformation of the metal, before it fails. Visible cracks imply some plastic deformation to the part.

Most metal firearms parts - the ones that contain the main firing pressures and forces, are designed to be tough, and give a little before fracturing. Even if they have hard surfaces from case hardening or nitriding, they have tough cores to prevent truly brittle fractures. The notorious low-numbered Springfields of 100 years ago failed in brittle manners, due to incorrect heat treating.

It looks like there is some rust on the fracture surfaces. That could have occured after the break, or afterwards as freshly exposed metal encountered humidity in the air. It would be interesting to know how long after the event the photo was taken.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I had an M9 slide fail at the port side locking lug cutout. The other side held, but the gun stopped working, obviously.

Mine had the Slide Capture Device installed anyway, so my face wasn't really at risk.

A second M9 failed me when the locking block began detaching from the barrel, locking up the weapon.

The M9 is just a weak design IMO/IME. The SCD will save some teeth, but doesn't address the crux of the issue.

The Brigadier models look to have more metal around the locking lug cutouts, so maybe they are reasonably durable.

At any rate, I've been soured on them for a long time.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Never liked them and would never own one, many better designed and accurate weapons out there that are much better in durability and accuracy IMHO

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Out of curiosity, can a frame break like that without visible cracks forming before it seperates?

The frame didn't fail.

That's the classic M9 slide failure, at the locking lug cutouts.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

A second M9 failed me when the locking block began detaching from the barrel, locking up the weapon.

The locking block is a wear part, and should be periodically replaced. Just like wear parts on AR's this never happens in the military. They just wait until it breaks. If the locking block is easily removed, it is way past time to replace it. Some say they need to be fitted to keep the gun from battering itself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I had an M9 slide fail at the port side locking lug cutout. The other side held, but the gun stopped working, obviously.

Mine had the Slide Capture Device installed anyway, so my face wasn't really at risk.

The M9 is just a weak design IMO/IME. The SCD will save some teeth, but doesn't address the crux of the issue.

The Brigadier models look to have more metal around the locking lug cutouts, so maybe they are reasonably durable.

At any rate, I've been soured on them for a long time.

I have found the M9 to be an excellent weapon, extremely reliable and very accurate; as in, you�d have to spend a fortune to end up with a pistol that shoots better. That being said, one has to recognize that ALL pistols will have weaknesses; ALL of them. The M9�s weaknesses are two fold, the locking block, and the slide design; both, Beretta should have known better. The locking blocks in P-38�s were famous for breaking, as were P-38 slides. The problem with the M9 slide is that there just isn�t enough slide mass to blunt the forces of the 9mm NATO cartridge. So both the slide and locking block have become wear parts and should be discarded after 5,000 rounds, when in military service. That�s the weakness of the Beretta design. It�s a great pistol when it�s up and running, but it doesn�t have a long life span. And Beretta should have known better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

Never liked them and would never own one, many better designed and accurate weapons out there that are much better in durability and accuracy IMHO
Durability yes, accuracy, I don't know. Every Beretta M9/92 (and Taurus 92 for that matter) I have fired have been lights out accurate. Not match accurate, but not far from it. I have found Beretta 92's and Sig 220 series pistols to be consistently the most accurate out of the box service grade pistols available.

But you're certainly right about long term durability. Honestly, I would have been happy if they dumped the Beretta and adopted the Glock years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's good fuel for why the miltary needs to go back to the 1911.

NRA Lifetime Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (anothergun, Amos63, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,688 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,826
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.