Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Deus Juvat

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's quite a talent. I'd have to have body parts removed before I could even consider the possibility of that...

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
yeah it sounds like some one, cut 'em off him!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Me!!! It was my good fortune to discover medieval and Renaissance music one fine day while listening to the radio. The first piece I heard was a collection of Renaissance dance music by Claude Gervaise (fl 1540-1560). Gervaise was a French composer, editor and arranger, with connections to a music publisher that produced several compendiums of dance music.

At the time the CD and digital music was yet to be popularized, with the CD still in its infancy, so I relied on vinyl records and Dual turntables with enormously powerful stereo amplification and high end headphones to counter my hearing loss. So, I journeyed forth to the Classical Wax record store near Stanford University to see if anyone ever heard of Claude Gervaise.

I entered the store, and attracted a stunningly lovely black girl maybe in her early twenties. She approached me and asked if she could help me. My first thought was that she may know about jazz and R&B and soul, but here I was searching for an obscure French Renaissance composer dead for four hundred years, there wasn't much hope. I later learned this was her first day on the job and I was her first customer!

"Yes, I am looking for music by Claude Gervaise." I said waiting to be disappointed.

"Claude Gervaise!?" Her eyes became wide saucers, she seemed stunned.

"Yes." I offered with a degree of humility for throwing her a curve.

"Why I did my Masters thesis on Claude Gervaise." She choked. "Come right this way, there are several albums over here." She scampered through the isle with me following as quickly as possible. I picked out three albums, and approached the checkout counter. The store manager had spoken with the young lady and she mentioned what had transpired. He related that she was so worried that her musical interests were so narrowly focused on Renaissance music, and Gervaise in particular, that no one would ever ask for such music in a retail setting. Yet here came I, her first customer, and asked for exactly what she knew best. On every trip thereafter the manager mentioned how famous I was to the store staff.

I can only laugh at God's mirth in crushing my ignorant stereotyping of a black young lady, and her fear that all her study would be wasted. We both learned a valuable lesson that day, and it was taught with joyful coincidence that was not coincidence at all.

I went on to attempt the Renaissance flute and collect every disk I could find, music is the life blood of compassion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love it when He arranges those kind of meetings. It simply HAS to crack Him up! Thanks for sharing!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
Me!!! It was my good fortune to discover medieval and Renaissance music one fine day
<snip>
I went on to attempt the Renaissance flute and collect every disk I could find, music is the life blood of compassion.

WrangerJohn,

Do you know of the Medieval Fair held in Sweden on the island of Gotland every August? You should bring your flute and you would fit right in with the enthusiastic amateurs (and profs) playing the music of this period!

On this island there are 92 medieval churches, and during this week you can listen to (and join -- honest!) groups of musicians playing period instruments (many in period garb: I know a guy who spent thousands of Euros on a chain mail shirt that he only gets to wear this one week per year! wink

Some of the more famous musicians perform in these medieval churches -- a friend attended one such performance in a small 12th century church, lit only by beeswax candles flickering in the warm breeze. She said it was incredibly moving...

I have not attended the medieval festival myself (yet!) but I keep so many good things about it that I have added it to my bucket list. Everybody I know who went once -- kept going back.

A little Googling will get you many links (in English). I am not paid by Swedish Tourism or the like (honest!), but your writing speaks clearly of your passion -- why not join others with the same passion, and do so in churches and castles going back to 1100 to 1300? In fact, some of your recordings were probably made on Gotland -- a couple of the churches are renowned for their acoustics and are often used for such period recordings.

Cheers,

John

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thats nothing....I could probably sing just like that if somebody were to attach a couple of heavy duty jumper cable clamps to my nuts. Wouldn't surprise me none, in fact, I might even be able to hit a few higher notes than that guy!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by jpb
Me!!! It was my good fortune to discover medieval and Renaissance music one fine day
<snip>

WrangerJohn,

Do you know of the Medieval Fair held in Sweden on the island of Gotland every August? You should bring your flute and you would fit right in with the enthusiastic amateurs (and profs) playing the music of this period!

On this island there are 92 medieval churches, and during this week you can listen to (and join -- honest!) groups of musicians playing period instruments (many in period garb: I know a guy who spent thousands of Euros on a chain mail shirt that he only gets to wear this one week per year! wink

Some of the more famous musicians perform in these medieval churches -- a friend attended one such performance in a small 12th century church, lit only by beeswax candles flickering in the warm breeze. She said it was incredibly moving...

I have not attended the medieval festival myself (yet!) but I keep so many good things about it that I have added it to my bucket list. Everybody I know who went once -- kept going back.

A little Googling will get you many links (in English). I am not paid by Swedish Tourism or the like (honest!), but your writing speaks clearly of your passion -- why not join others with the same passion, and do so in churches and castles going back to 1100 to 1300? In fact, some of your recordings were probably made on Gotland -- a couple of the churches are renowned for their acoustics and are often used for such period recordings.

Cheers,

John

Sweden is a fantastic place with a tremendous history. When I was young I worked for a wealthy lady. Her father had been orphaned at an early age in Lysekil, Sweden. At age 10 he left the orphanage, ventured to the docks and signed on as a ship's handy boy. His name was William Matson, he later became one of the most famous sea captains of the time. An innovator, he established the Matson Navigation Company, became the first major shipping line to use electrical lighting on sailing ships, first on the west coast to install steam turbine engines, first to use mechanical refrigeration, and a pioneer in developing California oil fields and the largest pipeline of the day to fuel the company ships that he converted from coal firing. Sweden has much to recommend its people.

I would like to be able to travel to the Medieval Fair, but time has taken its toll, especially of my hands. Thank you for sharing your experiences it sounds wonderful.

My wife and I used to attend performances of The Tallis Scholars when they visited the Stanford University Chapel. They sang marvelous Renaissance liturgical music, music that transports the soul home for a short visit.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 05/06/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Me!!! It was my good fortune to discover medieval and Renaissance music one fine day while listening to the radio. The first piece I heard was a collection of Renaissance dance music by Claude Gervaise (fl 1540-1560). Gervaise was a French composer, editor and arranger, with connections to a music publisher that produced several compendiums of dance music.

At the time the CD and digital music was yet to be popularized, with the CD still in its infancy, so I relied on vinyl records and Dual turntables with enormously powerful stereo amplification and high end headphones to counter my hearing loss. So, I journeyed forth to the Classical Wax record store near Stanford University to see if anyone ever heard of Claude Gervaise.

I entered the store, and attracted a stunningly lovely black girl maybe in her early twenties. She approached me and asked if she could help me. My first thought was that she may know about jazz and R&B and soul, but here I was searching for an obscure French Renaissance composer dead for four hundred years, there wasn't much hope. I later learned this was her first day on the job and I was her first customer!

"Yes, I am looking for music by Claude Gervaise." I said waiting to be disappointed.

"Claude Gervaise!?" Her eyes became wide saucers, she seemed stunned.

"Yes." I offered with a degree of humility for throwing her a curve.

"Why I did my Masters thesis on Claude Gervaise." She choked. "Come right this way, there are several albums over here." She scampered through the isle with me following as quickly as possible. I picked out three albums, and approached the checkout counter. The store manager had spoken with the young lady and she mentioned what had transpired. He related that she was so worried that her musical interests were so narrowly focused on Renaissance music, and Gervaise in particular, that no one would ever ask for such music in a retail setting. Yet here came I, her first customer, and asked for exactly what she knew best. On every trip thereafter the manager mentioned how famous I was to the store staff.

I can only laugh at God's mirth in crushing my ignorant stereotyping of a black young lady, and her fear that all her study would be wasted. We both learned a valuable lesson that day, and it was taught with joyful coincidence that was not coincidence at all.

gotta love those meetings.....couple years ago the wife and i flew out to Seattle to go see the sports medicine docs t the University of Seattle Hospital about my knees....leaving the appointment we wondered over to ONE of the main entrances of the hospital and tried to figure out the bus schedule and gave up when we saw a taxi pull up out the corner of our eyes.....running over to it we discover a guy had called it and the driver said it was rush hour and it would likely be a 2 hour wait to grab a cab.....

the guy who had called the cab asked where we were going, told him our hotel, he said that was close to where he was going and he insisted we share his cab.....in talking with him we find out he is a traveling nurse that works up and down the west coast but he grew up in Froid Montana, a stones throw from where we live.....its a small world...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There's also a similar fair in County Offaly in Ireland each year in May. My wife and I were invited about five years ago when we were there in November, but didn't have the time to go back six months later.

Medieval music is, of course, the root of a lot of the music Americans played in the early years of British/Scots/Irish immigration. This turned into the "folk" music played in the Applachian mountains, which turned into "country" music. The instruments changed, but not all that much.

I play various basic stringed instruments in various styles, including guitar, 5-strng banjo and mandolin, and about 30 years ago at a party in Montana ran into a guy who made lutes, and had one with him. I asked if I could try it, and found it wasn't too hard to play in either medieval or country/blues style. It was neat to go back a little further in the stringed tradition.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm guessing this tone would be quite easy to hit if one acted out the scene with the "bullet proof cup" in the movie SUPER TROOPERS

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,425
Posts18,470,717
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.