Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,126 of 1,842 1 2 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1841 1842
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
ND,
You will be happy to know that today was the first day I went with a short sleeve shirt and I picked a red Chickenbuck Tshirt in honor of Dusty! I will take a pic and pass it along.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Dave
Pic emailed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dave, of course I didn't know Dusty except from this site.
Cancer is a terrible thing.
Bet he was a very strong person in his life with a good humor.
Rip Dusty.

Dave and family, Missy and her mom. Your uncle/dad/husband is at peace now. No more pain.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Thanks guys.

Something clever here.

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just caught up here and saw the news about Dusty....condolences thoughts n prayers from us to all of you....

Lisa n Scott

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For Dusty

I never met him or talked to him just a few E-chats now and then but I know he was the kind of man you could count on in a pinch .

See you around the campfire Sir!
[Linked Image]

Sam & Vickie Hardin Ada Oklahoma

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Well that's really nice.

Thanks so much Sam and Vickie for the nice photo.

And to everybody for such nice words.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Dave, I sent a few pics to your email at work. I don't think I had them in photobucket to post here.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by mule1
For Dusty

I never met him or talked to him just a few E-chats now and then but I know he was the kind of man you could count on in a pinch .

You got that right. Dusty was a very kind man. I only knew him for a few short years but I was always excited to get up to camp and see him and his big smile....he always had that on. I don't think I ever saw him upset at anything. He could fix anything that was broke and has forgotten more stuff about the outdoors than I'll even know.

He liked to get his little buddy "Preacher Joe" fired up getting the stories of the mythical woods creatchers floating through camp. As a bit of an outsider to knowing him for long...it was clear, camp was a place that made him happy. Seeing him there, made me happy.

I'll never forget the big jovial laugh that would come from his spot at the table when a story full of BS would come out of somebody.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hey all, we've been kinda sad with all that's been going on with Uncle Dusty so I thought I'd post this story I put over on the Turkey Hunting thread.

It's copied from there...

I got to share a great WI turkey hunt with my boy this past weekend. It was a big deal because he got to skip school on friday to come with his dad and uncle on a hunt. He has been doing well in school and he'd learn some lessons on our trip anyway. wink

On Saturday morning, we set up at the bottom of a ridge I call Roosting Ridge...well they weren't there. At 5:15 there was a gobble 40 acres to the west, then a jake a bit closer. With Jack sitting with me, a jake would have bit the dust. I waited a bit a longer and gave him a few soft yelps.

A gobble sounded a bit closer, so I waited about 10 minutes and hit him again. Gaarooobleoobble! He sounded off within 300 yds so I put the call away and told Jack he was coming, but "DUH" he already knew that. smile

I saw him cross the road toward us about 200 yards out and he went in the woods. I was tempted to hit the call but I held off and he popped out of the bushes into a hay field by us and strutted a bit. I had two feeding hen dekes out and then "soft yelped" a few times to turn him our way. It worked!

He picked his way from about 100 yards to what I thought was about 30. My boy was getting pretty antsy so the tom was nervous and started to "half-strut" then looked like he'd seen enough...so I told Jack I was going to shoot and hit the go switch. Down he went!

All I could hear as I kept the bead on him was "YES, YES, YES!!!" and a 7 year old jumping up and down. smile

I had a VERY excited littly boy and a pretty happy dad. The hunt took about 45 minutes from start to finish! Perfect for getting a boy hooked, not so good because he thinks "turkey hunting is easy." When I asked him his favorite part about turkey hunting he replied exactly like I expected...We got to go for pancakes.

He has a 9 3/4" beard, 7/8" spurs. I don't know the weight other than he was heavy.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Very cool Tom and Jack, great story and a fantastic photo.

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Granddaughter got her Turkey, Sunday around 12:45 PM. It was a Jake with a 4 3/8" beard and weighed 19.5 pounds. My SIL has it on video. This is her second turkey in 3 years.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
every day when I go to work I see turkeys when I don't have a gun with me. those dumb birds sure can be a lot of work!

I have a job interview today for maint sup at the school. got my fingers crossed!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Good luck Ryan!

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
+1, Ryan.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Nice story Tom and a nice bird. You must be a turkey calling savant to bring them in from such a distance. Today, I looked up and saw one in a roost tree 50 yds away and when he finally flew down, he didn't give me a second of attention. Just walked away. I'm pretty sure turkeys in my area are deaf.

I was hunting with one of my student's dad. It would have been just perfect to get him on a bird, but not to be.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
short and sweet, at the end of the interview the superintendent said he was very impressed by my resume and more after meeting me, so I'm taking that as a good sign! now time to get BACK to work, tonight will be a late one to play catch up!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
That is way cool Tom and Jack. You made a lasting impression on that boy for sure! And great calling!

Ryan,
New job? I thought you have the best job on earth already?

Dave,
I'll see you tonight at the service.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hey Mule1,yoiu left off your Chickenbuck hat.LOL

Stan in SC

Last edited by Stan_in_SC; 05/08/13.

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Even a blind squirrel gets a nut. That, gentlemen is what I like to call good luck and good timing. We got a lone Tom or a Tom and a Jake...never did see the Jake, that I was hoping was within ear shot of my calls.

I set up in the middle of the hay field because over the years,I've seen them strut there, always out of range from the edge of the woods.

It was a hunch and it worked. Luck

Page 1,126 of 1,842 1 2 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,265
Posts18,486,514
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.