Print Thread
Hop To
G
GSP814 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Can anyone tell me the major differences in the two models other than the stock design? Do the two action crossbolts in the M 85 make it a stronger and better design? Thanks.

HR IC

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
85 is three lug CRF, although "not quite", action is more streamlined for american tastes, and stock is also "americanized". The detachable magazine has total control tech, where it's almost impossible to accidently drop it. I like the 85 looks better, but I'm also not the tallest guy in the woods. 85 seems more handleable to me. Both are accurate as hell, and tough. My new Finnlight is the most flawless finished rifle I've ever pulled out of a box, and they now come with a certificate of accuracy from the Finnish Police Force.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The redesign of the 85 has improved function in that the mags don't fall out and there is less bolt wobble. Not true CRF, IMO.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
75 is heavy
85 is not

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 75 in 338 that I bought with some tax refund money back in 1997, I also bought two extra magazines. The Idea was they are easy to loose. Well I hunted Moose with it every Season from 1997 to 2006 and the magazine never fell out or anything else. Good rifle so good its one of the ones I kept. when I paired down the collection. I never noticed any such problem with my rifle like bolt wobble. I zeroed it in in 1997 and its still zeroed in in 2012 when I last shot it. If I ever have to reduce to one rifle, it would be a very hard choice between that 75 and the R-93 I also have.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I own some of each but prefer the 85 due to weight and slightly smoother action. Both very nice though. I really like the classic model that wasn't available in the 75.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I also have some of each (I like that term...grin). I do like the weight of the 85's but I shoot the 75's much better. I think the reasons I shoot the 75 better is because he stock fits me better and the extra weight. I do think my 85's are slightly more accurate though.

I packed my Sako 75 in 300 RUM from the high country in Wyoming to the rolling plains of Montana to farm fields in Missouri before I read on the internet that it was to heavy at 9lbs 9oz to pack.

I would play with both and see which you like better and then buy it. Forget about what it weighs, if it's CRF or if you like how the recoil lug is attached.

Dink

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
The redesign of the 85 has improved function in that the mags don't fall out and there is less bolt wobble. Not true CRF, IMO.

The mag falling out is a joke IMO. I never in all my years (first new Sako -m75ss 300WM in 1997) had an issue with the magazine. Hunted hard with and in weather from about +25 degrees C to -35 deg C. My good hunting buddy can concur as he bought the identical rifle at the same time I bought my first. I have over half dozen now.

At our moose camp we have 5 guys in Sako m75 rifles......no issues or lost mags. I will never buy the m85,but I also prefer the m75 monte carlo stock design.

To each there own.

As for other difference, Sako changed the "Action" sizing from the m75 series (I, II, III, IV, V, SM) to the m85 series (S,M, L, SM).
They also per say have a CRF

Last edited by MightyPeace; 05/17/13.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70

mag's fall out..or a made up selling point? I prefer the 75 mag and the way it functions...if they go to the expense of making a detachable mag not detachable why not make it a [bleep] floorplate and magazine box?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've hunted every year for about 12 years and never had an issue with the detachable magazine of my 75 Finnlight.

I've no experience with the 85, but there have been several reports of ejection problems where the ejected case would hit the scope and bounce back into the ejection port because Sako moved the ejector position on the 85's bolt face.

Personally, I would handle both and buy the one I liked. I love the 75 Hunter stock design.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I keeping hearing the words 75 and heavy together and quite make the connection. I have a 75 .260 stainless and it's in no way heavy. My opinion is that you can't find a better factory setup out of the box. 85s appear to have some changes but I never saw anything wrong with the 75 that would warrant a change....I guess it all comes down to consumerization to warrant the changes.

G
GSP814 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks guys, keep it coming. I have two M 75's, a Grey Wolf in 270 WSM and a Finnlight in 260, I've never owned a Sako before, picked the two 75's up NIB from a local gun shop. I was thinking of getting a 30-06 for my Africa trip to compliment my Ruger 9.3x62 and was undecided on picking up the 06 Grey Wolf in the classifieds or spending a little more money and getting a Finnlight. I'm so confused!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have a M75 Hunter Stainless .270 hunted for 10 years; never a problem of ANY type and is a rock solid dependable shooter. I also like the Stainless/Walnut look. There is one in 30-06 on GB right now,they don't come up very often.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=341126673

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cruiser1; 05/18/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have owned both and like both, but the 85, especially my 85 Black Bear has been an overall favorite. I prefer the 85 action, love the mag box, and really love the overall ergonomics. My Black Bear is really nothing more than a glorified Finnlight chambered 9.3x62 with Rechnagel sights. Not a good looker with pretty wood, but as a utilitarian hunting rifle, It has the best stock fit for my measurements, with the best weight, balance, and overall handling of any box stock production rifle I've handled. Function and accuracy has been spot on top shelf without a hint of trouble. Very easy gun to carry and shoot well afield.

I currently do not own one of the fancy upper end pretty Sako models, but if I did, I'd pick which ever one, be it 75 or 85, that tickled my fancy while being the best fit. No matter how nice a production rifle they may be, it may be a poor choice if it doesn't fit you well.

Best smile

[Linked Image]

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Good point about fit Gary. Luckily both fit me. What sling is that? I dig the black stain.

I had a 75 finnlight of which I had major problems with accuracy wise. I now have the 85 as its replacement. I do feel the 75 had a smoother feeding action then the 85 does. I feel that with 85 I have to cycle the action fast to have it cycle smoothly IMO. I also find that in order to have the spent casing clear the action port every time I must aggressively pull back on the bolt. Not a major problem in my book just cycle it fast and it functions perfectly. I do like the 75's larger intregural recoil lug design better but 85's design does seem to work. I don't think you could go wrong with either one though. Someday I hope to add a model 85 Bavarian carbine to my collection.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I've hunted every year for about 12 years and never had an issue with the detachable magazine of my 75 Finnlight.

I've no experience with the 85, but there have been several reports of ejection problems where the ejected case would hit the scope and bounce back into the ejection port because Sako moved the ejector position on the 85's bolt face.

Personally, I would handle both and buy the one I liked. I love the 75 Hunter stock design.

Why Sako went back to that ejector position makes no sense to me.The L691's where the same way and would also bounce the empty off the bottom of the scope back into the action.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Horseman
Good point about fit Gary. Luckily both fit me. What sling is that? I dig the black stain.

It's an older and well worn Brownells Latigo.

As for the action, I posted a video awhile back showing how fast and slick mine would feed a full load of six rounds, including empties. My sample has proven to me to be the single slickest and best feeding box stock production bolt action rifle I've ever experienced, bar none. I wouldn't change anything.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 280Jeff, 29aholic, 57 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,120
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.