-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Word on the street has it that the basic 77 from Shiloh is going to be the same as the #1's etc..
Kirk has shot the first one in Texas state sillouette match and they had it on display at the NRA show in Houston..

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, I saw it there at the show. The side plate is very sculpted and graceful looking. The action weighs one pound less than the 1874, so for a given weight of rifle, a heavier barrel may be used.

I have a iPhone photo of it here:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 05/22/13. Reason: add photo

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The lighter action/lock and heavier barrel was exactly the reason why they came up with the 77. "Creedmoor" rules of the day specified the rifle could not weigh over 10 lbs,and no artificial rests or support could be used. The heavier barrel was thought to help control/lesten recoil.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
ET is right, as usual. The 77 Sharps was never a buffalo gun. Sharps only built just over a hundred of them, and they didn't sell all that well. Sharps attempted to dispose of their excess inventory of 77 rifles by rechambering them as Express rifles and selling them as a gentleman's hunting rifle.

If you don't have a 74 Sharps, GET ONE. It is a real Sharps, not a wannabe like a 77 or a Borchardt. Every rifle in your gun safe cries itself to sleep at night wishing it would wake up as a 74 Sharps. I have two good original Remington rollers, and they absolutely live with an inferiority complex because of my 74 Sharps.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
god it is fun to watch the "experts" pontificate.

What a hoot.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
ET is right, as usual. The 77 Sharps was never a buffalo gun. Sharps only built just over a hundred of them, and they didn't sell all that well. Sharps attempted to dispose of their excess inventory of 77 rifles by rechambering them as Express rifles and selling them as a gentleman's hunting rifle.
If you don't have a 74 Sharps, GET ONE. It is a real Sharps, not a wannabe like a 77 or a Borchardt. Every rifle in your gun safe cries itself to sleep at night wishing it would wake up as a 74 Sharps. I have two good original Remington rollers, and they absolutely live with an inferiority complex because of my 74 Sharps.

Bill, you're not helping... grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yes and not only that but Homer Fishers 1880 catalog was trying to fire sale those expressed versions and the long range versions out the door for 65$ about half priced.
I just hope history doesn't repeat itself on these 77's, they've not been a good thing for anybody that has ever tried to market them..

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Bill, you're not helping... grin

Ed

This should help .. grin Reminds me of our bomb dump in SEA..Once you start casting and shooting your own bricks you'll realize what my bud Nick[AKA otter]told me when I first ordered my Shilo..." Up till now you've only been assembling your ammo but with a Sharps you're actually reloading!" So very true! wink

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ignoring childish comments, and historical unpopularity for the moment, are there any functional downsides to the 1877?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Nope

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I take that back. the 74 will drop its block and firing pin without a screwdiver or any other tool. the 77 requires a screwdiver (one) to pull the block/firing pin assemble.

the 77 has a marginally lighter, faster hammer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Ignoring childish comments, and historical unpopularity for the moment, are there any functional downsides to the 1877?

They are a BEAUTIFUL and well balanced rifle. Svelte, graceful, sexy.

That said, my personal critique would be inherent weakness through the lock / wrist area of the stock. They BREAK in that area, and not infrequently.

Brent D. KNOWS this, and apparently chooses to eschew commenting.

The '74 is perhaps THE strongest of ANY of em', as regards action / butt stock interface.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The stock strength of a 77 vs a 74 is negligibly different. Both are back action locks and if you think those weaken a stock significantly, consider all the double rifles, shotguns, and single shot rifles from all over Europe that are still growing strong today. They have impossibly thin wrists to boot, not one, but TWO locks for the doubles, and yet I've several that are used hard, and often though "only" 150 yrs old. Still going strong.

If well fit, the 77 and the 74 are pretty much the same. The emphasis being "well fit". If not (ie a used Axtell rather than a new Shiloh), then bed the sucker and be done with it. As there is not a gunmaker in the world that fits wood to metal better than Shiloh, I'm rather confident that the 77s will have no strength issues.

As for the stocks being "strongest of ANY of em'" you gotta be kidding. A Highwall beats any Sharps in that department. As does a roller. And even the Ballards - which ALWAYS have a crack in the wrist - are still still less likely to break than any Sharps.

FWIW, I have '74, '77, '78 Sharps, along with multiple Winchesters 'walls and Ballards and a goodly number of back-action double guns, both rifles and shotties. All have been used hard - very hard. I don't worry about back-action locks weakening anything.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You're the "Spurt" (eX-sPURT) here, Mister.

fling your offerings wherever ya' like.

"FWIW", you posted a real bitch fest about how weak 77s are not all that long ago.

Me,....I know SwFA about any of this, and would certainly defer to your apparently bottomless pool of knowledge.

Without any "bottom",.....there's one to ponder.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well at least I own and shoot both 77s and 74s extensively, and I know the difference between Shiloh quality and Axtel "quality".

Maybe that makes me an expert. Maybe not. What does it make you?

As usual, you'd rather bark at me than offer anything substantive (could it be that you don't HAVE anything substantive? No!).

Look dumbshit, do you really think Shiloh is going to make a self-destructing rifle? I mean really. Get a clue before you "spurt".

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 204guy, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,983 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,614
Posts18,532,896
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.