Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Obviously the OP was tongue in cheek, speaking for myself anyway. Still comparing Hemingway to your average Rapper Thug is just not a fair comparison, but your point is well taken

Hemingway caught Marlin on a boat he couldn't afford. And boxed (drunk) on a pier that he really had no business claiming as his own.

Hemingway did more with his life than most can dream. Ended it on his own terms too.

How many folks can say that when they see the pearly gates?

Haters gonna hate...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
This is obviously a generalization, but looking on the fascinating folks in the world it seems like exceptional talent is too often acompanied with exceptional demons as well. I could point to several of the "stars" here at 24hcf. They attract a lot of attention and followers but having learned how to read between the lines of human nature I'm glad I don't have to live inside their heads 24 hours a day like they do.

Perhaps the demons are what help provoke the talent in the first place, but they sure demand a high price in return.

I've known some exceptional and interesting people in my life. It is extremely rare to come across someone that excells in any field and is at the same time well balanced and would make for a good parent, spouse or neighbor. There is generally a whole lot of selfishness involved in achieving excellence. Those that do so in artistic fields and in the public eye, very very rare.

Interesting people are generally intersting in small doses or at a distance. It helps to be able to appreciate them for who they are and realize to gain strength in one area they completely neglected another area of their life or social skills.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Obviously the OP was tongue in cheek, speaking for myself anyway. Still comparing Hemingway to your average Rapper Thug is just not a fair comparison, but your point is well taken

No disagreement here Jorge; the tone was not lost on me and I "know" you well enough not to assume otherwise even if reading on a tone deaf day blush .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Well, I am Roman Catholic...

You know, I'm glad to hear that. We have something in common; well, probably quite a bit more than "something". grin

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

I've always forgiven you when you were wrong.... whistle

That's right Christian of ya, Rick...
grin

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hell, I've had boats--and RV's--I couldn't afford, and boxed drunks, too.

Does that give me a pass at the pearly gates?

Ne'mind. Rhetorical question. Gnight. Doc's out.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wanna' watch a good movie?

Wrestling Ernest Hemingway!

Great flick with an even greater cast.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

which is what Jorge implied with his list.

Umm, no. Not my list: hemingwaysfoyer.com

That said, I think that list was meant to make a statement, and not nesssarily as a factual list of Hemingway's pecadillos...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Richard,

You're right, of course, about the "best weeds."

I would submit, however, that Hemingway's not-untypical young experimentation with tobacco does not constitute a life-long habit, which is what Jorge implied with his list.

I also smoked off-and-on in my teens, and even occasionally (like once or twice a year) since then. But that isn't an everyday addiction. My father and one of my mentors smoked 3-4 packs of cigarettes a day, part of the reason they died much younger than Hemingway.

I can't remember the exact statistics, but well over 50% of Americans under 20 have smokd tobacco at some point. That doesn't mean they're addicted smokers for the rest of their lives, thank God. From all the available evidence, Hemingway did not smoke as an adult.

Mule Deer/Richard,

You guys are both right of course, we are generalising about a man's entire life.

But to be specific, he wrote to his father at one stage at the age of 24 or thereabouts (memory) saying that he had given up smoking cigarettes two years earlier. I don't believe he was considered a smoker by those around him for the rest of his life. This was unusual in those days qhwn nearly everybody smoked.
There are no photo's and even more telling I suppose, he doesnt mention smoking in his books about himself, Green Hill sof Africa, True at First Light.
Drinking, yes. Druggies can't help mentioning their vice I think, look at poor Alistair McLean, every single page of some of his books has someone either opening a bottle of spirits, or finishing one. Every single page.

I know about smoking and Hemingway because I deliberately had gone and found out about it because when I was quitting smoking myself, I held him up as a shining example, a non smoking role model. One could not smoke and still be a real man, type thing.
You can't do that with the drinking and the marriages obviously. But I rarely drink anyway and I have got used to the wife. I find myself suspiciously without vices nowadays. Hemingway would have disapproved.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Gents, I just spent the weekend in Miami picking my dad and brother in law's brain in Hemingway anectdotes. To be sure, and my dad knew him as a boy (he was born in 1921 but his older brothers did hang with Hemingway and as I've posted, he also visited my grandparents house frequently at Cojimar), they could not ascertain his smoking/non smoking habits.
Back then everybody smoked so they just assumed. Anyhow, my BIL goes every year to the run of the bulls in Pamplona, but this year he and a bunch of friends are going to do the full Hemingway circuit. First Madrid hitting all the bars there (like "El Chicote" for example which roughly translates to "stinky feet"), then onto Pamplona and to a series of small town in the north where he did a lot of trout fishing, then onto Paris, doing the bar scenes there and they have managed to hook up to go and fish some private preserves there where Hemingway fished as well. Lastly I'll leave you with this photgraph-for what it's worth- but my dad, who was (is) a writer by profession has this typewriter my grandmother told him it was given to him by Hemingway back in the 30s because my dad wanted to be a writer. He became one, but interestingly enough in a new medium; television. I don't know how I can substantiate this but keep in mind folks when we left Cuba in 1960 we left EVERYTHING including some things of considerable value, yet my dad figured he needed a typewriter and this came along. I can remember all through my life going to be with the sounds of THAT machine echoing through the house at all hours. About all I can say is that I remember it always at our house and it is period correct:

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
what brand is the typewriter? Looks very much like the old Remington I learned to type on.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Royal

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gents, I just spent the weekend in Miami picking my dad and brother in law's brain in Hemingway anectdotes. To be sure, and my dad knew him as a boy (he was born in 1921 but his older brothers did hang with Hemingway and as I've posted, he also visited my grandparents house frequently at Cojimar), they could not ascertain his smoking/non smoking habits.
Back then everybody smoked so they just assumed. Anyhow, my BIL goes every year to the run of the bulls in Pamplona, but this year he and a bunch of friends are going to do the full Hemingway circuit. First Madrid hitting all the bars there (like "El Chicote" for example which roughly translates to "stinky feet"), then onto Pamplona and to a series of small town in the north where he did a lot of trout fishing, then onto Paris, doing the bar scenes there and they have managed to hook up to go and fish some private preserves there where Hemingway fished as well. Lastly I'll leave you with this photgraph-for what it's worth- but my dad, who was (is) a writer by profession has this typewriter my grandmother told him it was given to him by Hemingway back in the 30s because my dad wanted to be a writer. He became one, but interestingly enough in a new medium; television. I don't know how I can substantiate this but keep in mind folks when we left Cuba in 1960 we left EVERYTHING including some things of considerable value, yet my dad figured he needed a typewriter and this came along. I can remember all through my life going to be with the sounds of THAT machine echoing through the house at all hours. About all I can say is that I remember it always at our house and it is period correct:

[Linked Image]

The Black Forest?

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Royal typewriter - a blast from the past! Mom had one from journalism school. Built like a tank and very precise. Obviously had major sentimental value to have made the journey.

Any Dezi Arnez stuff written on that?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
No, no Desi stuff. My dad's friendship with Desi was a childhood one and when he left for he states the friendship waned. Still, his mother Amparo was my dad's Godmother. When we got here in 1960, Desi offered my dad job opportunities in California, but my MOTHER's family, with all the characteristics of the Corleone's, pressure him into staying in Miami. Can you imagine? I could have been a breast inspector for Desilu or something! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Way too many metrosexuals around here, so here's a dose of macho for you "new age" types:

Don�t live life � Bite off huge chunks of it and leave the crumbs for others.

Enjoy women � That�s why they�re on Earth. The only reason.

Drink, from sun up to sun down, every damn day.

Smoke � It�s breathing, only better.

Swear � God damn right!

Eat well and to excess.

Hunt � Animals are here for man�s enjoyment, killing enjoyment.

Fish � See �Hunt� above, substitute �animals� with �fish�.

Fight � There�s not a soul on Earth that doesn�t need a good ass kicking.

Gamble � Wager money, goods, services, and loved ones.

Own the best and plenty of it.

Travel as much as possible to enjoy all the above.

Quote of the day from Hemingway:

�The best people possess a feeling for beauty, the courage to take risks, the discipline to tell the truth, the capacity for sacrifice. Ironically, their virtues make them vulnerable; they are often wounded, sometimes destroyed.�

...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Jorge, that is very interesting as I have read most of his books and short storys. My understanding though is his suicide and probable depression followed a diagnosis of cancer.

Interestly, there is a guy in our little midwest town with the white hair and beard that could probably win that Fl Hemingway look-like contest. I think of the Snows of Kilimanjaro every time I see him.

There is that. Anyway, I think ya got to move to Key West before doing anything rash. Maybe it works, maybe not, but it's not a bad place to work on perspective.

All that debate to the side, his "code" made me smile. I could have gotten along with him well, but never would have succeeded in out drinking him. His appetite for the sauce is legend.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
If you guys go up a few posts and find Hatari's his perspective is spot on I think.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These two old Hemingway quotes come up out of my deep memory most often, most readily �

� "About morals, I know only that what is moral is what you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after."

� As a war correspondent during the Forties war, he referred to himself as "Ernie Hemorrhoid, the poor man's Pyle."

Every now 'n' then, something reminds me of one or the other.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember reading one of his short stories about about a day spent trout fishing... Short pithy sentence structure..... I bought a Kindle anthology of his short stories a few years ago. I still liked the trout fishing one.... When I tried to read the others..... I discovered they sucked.

Please don't feed the trolls!
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,124
Posts18,523,002
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.